Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs 1963 has wanted to ride her own for a long time but her bad knees (double knee replacement in the last year) has made her afraid of a 2 wheel motorcycle. When I did my last iron butt ride to Medford Oregon there was a couple on a Spyder and this caught my wife's attention.

Fast forward to Sunday.
2012 Can Am RT (touring model) 2400 miles and full service by the dealer along with new tires all the way around.
Sorry for the shitty photos it's been 115+ here so when I ride it home I don't feel like a photo op.

My wife needs to get her motorcycle endorsement and she wants me to ride it to make sure it's set up correctly. Spyders need the right tire pressure, shock pre-load and so on for correct handling, I've about go it dialed in. I've been through one tank of gas.

Everything about this machine is NEW, the owners manual looks like it's never been opened or even out of the pouch.

Dealer pre-sale service, also has new tires.

Shitty Photos

·
Registered
265 Posts
It looks much better in your garage than on the showroom floor. Congrats! Hope the misses enjoys her new ride.

·
Registered
530 Posts
nice score! i test rode one of the originals when they first came out and then the new redesign (think its the F3) and both are great machines.. I haven't ridden the touring version but i have chatted with a couple people who tour on them and they absolutely love them...
i could see myself riding one of these should i be unable to ride a conventional 2-wheeler..

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i could see myself riding one of these should i be unable to ride a conventional 2-wheeler..
That's exactly it, the bike has given me a new perspective on trikes, maybe the person is unable to ride 2 wheels but still wants to be in the wind.

This bike is FUN!! I'm having a great time riding it.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the photos how is the legroom? it looks like the only foot position you have is on the pegs, is that correct?
That's it until I add highway pegs.

·
Registered
546 Posts
SWEET! While I haven't had the chance to ride one yet, have had one a couple of times on a 'group ride' and they can keep up with no problem and the riders love them. Have also had them pass me in hard rains when I've had to slow down and they look pretty stable.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an absolute blast to ride, after you learn how. Nothing like a motorcycle at all especially in the corners.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's an absolute blast to ride, after you learn how. Nothing like a motorcycle at all especially in the corners.
lol, thats exactly what the ride captain from Can-Am said on the demo ride. I was lucky and was near the back of the pack, and he said its funny being at the back because you can tell all the seasoned riders because they will be the ones leaning into curves as a force of habit (don't need to do that on the Spyder).... so we started going into some twisties and I was paying attention and damned if he wasn't right... i started to chuckle until i looked down and realized i was doing the same thing. DOH!!! :ltr:

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've built cornering confidence a lot.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Vindex, I saw your post on FB a few days ago and was tempted to ask if that was the Mrs. on the CanAm. Now that you confirmed it, you both get my high fives. You weren't able to twist my arm hard enough to install cams, but you might be able to get me on one of those, if my leg problem keeps me off the two wheeler. So keep me posted. I'd be looking at the F3-T in arrest-me-red. I'd add the top case and chrome wheels.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where do you mount them?
Not real sure, I think it needs floorboards first. They sell them I just haven't researched that part yet.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I've been perusing the ads for used Spyders and they are quite a bargain compared to new. Awfully tempting.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been perusing the ads for used Spyders and they are quite a bargain compared to new. Awfully tempting.
The pre-2014's have the Rotax V-Twin 5 speed, they are the best deal because 2014-? have the new Rotax triple 6 speed. Mine is a V-Twin, the motor that's bullet proof and proven, the triple seems the same way but is much more $$$.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Pretty wife stopped riding with me after about 200K miles over the years. I asked her if I were to get a Spyder, would she ride on it with me and she said yes. Now I have the Spyder as a possible fun vehicle if my leg thing doesn't get resolved. But does the two cylinder version have adequate HP for two up riding?

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They have the Aprilia Rotax motor in it. This uses it also. CLICK

The motor was retuned for the Spyder, it has very good power.

I do have one negative, the gas mileage isn't very good. I've been getting 27-28 MPG but the fun factor way out weighs the MPG.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
They have the Aprilia Rotax motor in it. This uses it also. CLICK

The motor was retuned for the Spyder, it has very good power.

I do have one negative, the gas mileage isn't very good. I've been getting 27-28 MPG but the fun factor way out weighs the MPG.
When spending thousand$ for a toy, why should fuel mileage even matter? It's nice if the mileage is up there, but I would just consider it icing on a delicious cake.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When spending thousand$ for a toy, why should fuel mileage even matter? It's nice if the mileage is up there, but I would just consider it icing on a delicious cake.
That's the way I feel!! I've read if you keep the speed down it'll get 30 MPG all day.

I'm leaving in an hour for a ride through the mountains, the twisties!! This should be....fun.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Take and post photos please. Is Barb going along? If so, I'd like a report how it does two up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts