Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to my Vic dealer today for a warranty job to realign the drive belt, and replace the main circuit breaker to resolve a issue I was having with stalling. Everything was fixed and is now in order and I'm happy about that.

Problem however, I noticed on my ride home my analog tach neddle now does not work properly. Before, the needle would go up and down smooth following the RPM's. Now it goes up and down in a jerking motion kind of like a rachet.

So I turned around and went back and showed them. They said they never seen anything like this before. Told me the tach is defective, or the heat could be causing it. It is super hot here right now. They did order me a replacement tach should be here in a few days.

My question is, has anyone ever had this problem? Could it be related to the circuit breaker? Dealer says 2 issues are unrelated.

Other the the jerky tach, everything else is 100% with the bike. The digital tach on the speedo works fine to.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No issues with mine and it's been hot here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
No issues here either. Been very warm in southeast Texas.

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts
I have the same tach on an 04 KP with no issues in temps up to 126.

The timing is suspect. Just after getting work done it starts doing this. I would ask to put the old breaker back in to see if it starts working correctly again. If they have already sent the old breaker in, thrown it away, or the new tach still does it you will know the breaker is indeed the problem.

However; they could have simply loosened at connection near the breaker inadvertently so it might be worth a looksee around that part and wiggle stuff.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
mine started acting weird last fall. dealer got me another.
so far so good. it was readig about 1-1/2 the rpms you
were really revving.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
You are best advised to take it back to the dealer. They screwed it up, they should fix it. Taking a survey here isn't going to get it fixed. BTW, mine is working fine too.:)
You could open your headlight nacelle and locate the tach connector to see if it plugged in firmly.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
power surge coulda cooked a resistor in the head unit of the tach.

At work we just bought a guy a new instrument cluster for his Alero because a power surge during a battery service fried his. GMs and their fragile gauges :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts