Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 XR that has been sitting from some time (moved from Florida about 1 1/2 years ago and bike has been sitting since the move).
Before firing it up I:
Adjusted the Clutch cable to spec
Adjusted the linkage to spec
Drained the gas and put fresh gas in.
Checked the oil

Fired right up! Seems to be running fine. Warmed her up for about 10 minutes.

Will not shift into 1st gear. Rest of the gears seem fine. Using my hand (with the bike shut off) I can feel the shifter move towards 1st but will not engage.

Before I pull the Primary, anyone had this issue (or knows about it) that can give me a course of action?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,746 Posts
Are you sure that you are not looking at this wrong? I thought that transmission has what is called a "neutral assist". What this does is that when the bike is not moving, trying to shift upwards out of 1st gear will ONLY get you into neutral. It is not possible to reach any gear higher than 1st gear unless the bike is moving. Hence, you should not be able to get into the "rest of the gears". I could be wrong and this "neutral assist" feature may only be in the Victory 2012 touring bikes.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regardless of "neutral assist", my test consisted of taking the bike on the road. (had to start off in 2nd because could not get into first). Shifted fine 2nd through 6th and back but simply would not down shift into 1st. Before the long time not using it, it was fine. Always could start in Neutral, Shift into 1st, and go.

·
Administrator
2,746 Posts
Sorry. I misunderstood your original post. It sounded like you were not doing a rolling/road test but, rather, were just trying to shift with the bike running but stationary. Ignore my post #2 as it is not germane to your situation.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Sounds odd. About how much travel down will you pedal go? I can try to measure mine and see what kind of numbers come up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts