Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a semi local shop run the Hammer on the dyno today to get a baseline. 100% stock with 1370 miles when it went on the dyno. It made 87 HP and 106 TQ pulling in 5th gear to the rev limiter at 5K.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had a semi local shop run the Hammer on the dyno today to get a baseline. 100% stock with 1370 miles when it went on the dyno. It made 87 HP and 106 TQ pulling in 5th gear to the rev limiter at 5K.
That seems low for the 106. I thought HP was supposed to have high 90s?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
That seems low for the 106. I thought HP was supposed to have high 90s?
Ahem...

The numbers that Victory 'claims' are measured at the crankshaft, before all the losses through the driveline... and after all, it's a 'claim'. 97 sounds a lot better than 82 in advertising, and technically it's not a lie...

Rear wheel power is usually someplace between 80-83 HP, so he did good. The questions are: was that uncorrected, STD, SAE, what was the smoothing set to, and what kind of dyno was it? Unless you see the graph, there is no way to know how these numbers compare to others... and all dynos read a tad different and there can be spikes that give a false peak number.

For example:

If this was two different bikes. Both owners could truthfully say "I make 125 horsepower", but that wouldn't tell the whole story...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Okay, that all makes sense, though I feel robbed. I guess when HD, Honda and everybody else talks about their HP, it's rated the same way?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys. Here is the graph. The blue line is the 5th gear pull. He also pulled it in 4th because of the 5K rev limit in 5th. I plan to use the same facility to dyno after mods to compare. I 100% agree that every dyno reads different and there are several factors that can change the outcome.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Okay, that all makes sense, though I feel robbed. I guess when HD, Honda and everybody else talks about their HP, it's rated the same way?
HD avoids HP discussions "like the plague" & most HDs make significantly less than the Victory's do in almost EVERY case. I ran my stock '11 Ness XC @ a free dyno day a year ago and most stock Harley's weren't able to get anywhere NEAR the 80's. A few HEAVILY modded HD's got between 80 & 90 and only one bike showed over 90 HP on the DynoJet that was being used that day. My XC got 83.59 HP & 97.92 TQ so I thought that was decent.

However, the cruiser bikes (Hammer, Jackpot & Judge) also use a different CAM which is suppose to provide a bit more power than the baggers so I would have expected the OP's Hammer to have put up a bit higher numbers than mine but maybe he ran a different SAE or some other difference?

Nevermind - It looks like he did have a run with the higher 87/106 figures so it looks more "in-line" now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HD dealers also wont touch a Victory either in my experience. I asked several if they would simply do a few baseline pulls and they said no way. I even offered up the option to make fun if my Hammer made less than an HD would. Still no way. Anyway the place i went, Valley Racing in Beecher, IL, was good to deal with and will be going back. Not a real flashy place but they did what i asked at a reasonable price and were professional about it.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I ran my stock '11 Ness XC @ a free dyno day a year ago and most stock Harley's weren't able to get anywhere NEAR the 80's. A few HEAVILY modded HD's got between 80 & 90 and only one bike showed over 90 HP on the DynoJet that was being used that day. My XC got 83.59 HP & 97.92 TQ so I thought that was decent.
When you consider that a stock HD 103 makes between 68 and 70 horse, that 83.6 looks pretty impressive. The magazines marginalize this, saying that on the road there's not much difference... but over a dozen HP advantage on a bike that weighs a little less is substantial. Stretch this out to 4 gears worth:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Graph is STD corrected. Translated to SAE that's like 85 HP and 103.5 Ft-Lbs. Very respectable for a bone stock 106".

What mods are you planning?
Is there a standard conversion factory for that? I was very happy with the results.

Planning on Bassani pro street pipes, Lloyd torque tubes and VFC for now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
HD dealers also wont touch a Victory either in my experience. I asked several if they would simply do a few baseline pulls and they said no way. I even offered up the option to make fun if my Hammer made less than an HD would. Still no way. Anyway the place i went, Valley Racing in Beecher, IL, was good to deal with and will be going back. Not a real flashy place but they did what i asked at a reasonable price and were professional about it.
They don't want to get embarrassed about the bikes they're selling.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Is there a standard conversion factory for that? I was very happy with the results.

Planning on Bassani pro street pipes, Lloyd torque tubes and VFC for now.
We can get them to print out the SAE version when we go to dyno mine. The correction factor is on the bottom of the sheet 1.04. My guess is it would make 83 or 84 HP.

Good to know it is a Dynojet though. That makes me happy.cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes they do have a A/F ratio but couldn't hook it to the stock pipes due to the internal baffling.

We will have to have them print the sae next time I am there.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yes they do have a A/F ratio but couldn't hook it to the stock pipes due to the internal baffling.
Are you saying that the internal baffling prevented them from inserting the A/F probe ALL THE WAY IN? They should be able to get it part of the way in (at the least) and then find a way to secure it temporarily to the pipe during the run (perhaps by having some other support under it during the run).

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Ted's Harley-Davidson (& Honda) in Alton IL won't touch Victory's either. They really pissed me off over it considering we've bought several Honda atv's from them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts