Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**Updated for 60,000 miles in this post (7/5/16)**

We can never have too many positive reviews, and now that I have some miles on big red, I have developed some opinions. I'll start out with some details about me so you know where I'm coming from. Besides, I can't wipe this stupid grin off my face. :ltr:

Me:
5'8" - 200# - 170,000 miles riding experience (+60k now)
Last bike: '82 cb900c dressed like a wing
Commute: 100 miles (97 miles interstate/highway)

Dealership:
Jones Powersports, Columbia, Mo
Outstanding experience! Knowledgeable techs and no pressure sales and no tricks either. $20,000 out the door + offer for 20% off accessories with new purchase.
EDIT: Changed ownership in 2015 - still a good outfit to deal with.

2012 Cross Country Tour

First Impression:
-LOVE the looks! Someone with an art degree was paying attention.
-Had to have the tip-over protection to ease my mind.
-Lowers were also a plus to extend the riding season.
-Trunk for those long trips...yep, this seemed like the complete package.
As I walked up to the bike for a test ride on a demo day event, I though 'this sucker is big.' Once I climbed aboard and rolled away though it felt like a much smaller bike. Well balanced (even with the trunk on) and confidence inspiring right out of the gate. Set up reasonable well for a guy of my height as well - stock.

1,200 mile Review

Brakes:
I recently rode in the rain and the ABS gave me the confidence to squeeze a little harder, even in the rain. After playing around with it, I could get the ABS to engage and never have been able to lock the tires. Not the same on my wife's C50, that's for sure.

Transmission:
"Clunky" perhaps, but I don't mind at all. I've spend the last 60,000 miles on an old cb900c that are known for persnickety tranny's that like to miss gears. I got into the habit long ago of making clean, firm shifts - so have NEVER missed a gear on this CCT. I did add the heel shifter as well at around 600 miles. Good clean design and my foot got used to it's placement and size within 50 miles.

Comfort and Storage:
Wow! My longest stretch in the saddle so far is 1.5 hours. No issues with reach or sore-a$$. There is a ton of room in those bags too. I carry a laptop and padfolio in a backpack every day to work and the whole thing fits in a saddle bag - nice! After a 45mi stretch in moderate rain, no leakage either.

The radio and other electronics (including cruise control and heated grips/seat) have worked flawlessly since new. I've had an iPhone (no sim = iPod) connected and it has worked just as advertised. Good sound quality and volume, especially since I preferred to avoid the stage 1 mod - and ride with a 3/4 open face (no ear plugs).

All that suspension travel is great!

Wind/Rain Management:
Wind management is excellent on this model. The fairing winglets and hard lower vents do just what they are designed to do. I can reach both sets while on the bike without taking my eyes of the road, but this will be a challenge for some.

As it turns out, the last 45 miles I rode yesterday afternoon was in a light shower. There were a couple short periods of heavy rain. If I could have maintained >55mph I would have never gotten wet. Even so, I only got a little sprinkling on the head and shoulders at slower speeds. The roads were soaked, yet I never got my own road-spray on my shoes. Only a few sprinkles on my knees from the water that trickled over the hard lowers.

I am a little concerned about the touring windshield. While I quickly got used to looking through the shield, I really have to crane my neck in order to see over it. I'll probably look into comparing the costs of cutting it down -vs- new, shorter shield. Do any other 5'8" riders have any recommendations?

Performance:
Break-in was by-the-book, though I did excersize the full range of rpm's without using more than the recommended amount of throttle. I could really feel the engine come alive at around the 300 mile mark, but have managed to keep myself from flogging it somehow.

MPG was around 35mpg during break-in, and has improved to about 42mpg now. Note the commute above. I expect that to improve as the internals loosen up a bit more.

This engine doesn't have the giddy-up of the in-line 4 that I used to ride...but you can't compare apples to oranges. It DOES beat the pants off the 2011-2012 hardley touring bikes that I've ridden. No offense to those hardley owners. Love you man!

1200 mile Summary:
If you're thinking about buying one of these sweet machines, DO IT! You won't regret it! ...and don't forget to frequent this forum. I've learned a ton here, and most of it has been from sifting through old posts!

25,000 mile Update (7/11/14):
I'm still in love with this bike! She makes my thighs hot in temps over 80, but stripping the lowers off and putting on a blade windshield in the summer cools it WAY off. Yeah, more air turbulence, but that's the point.

Concern: My grips wore out at 22k. Started falling apart in my hand. Don't know why, maybe a fluke...or the oils from my hands are extra-corrosive? At $200 for replacement, I'm spending $100/yr in grips.

After spending a couple years with her, I have some wish-list items:
1) Adjustable Windshield would be a great addition.
2) Switches and instruments could use some refinement
~~~backlighting for volume (the single light on cruise is fine, once you find it)
~~~backlighting for heated grips toggle
~~~heated seat toggles that are glove friendly.
~~~I haven't had problems with water-resistance like others have had.
3) Modulated Tail-light option that doesn't defeat cruise.
4) Improved computer/calculation accuracy
5) Less reflective instrument bezels. It reflects onto the windshield at night.

60,000 mile Update (7/5/16):
My bike is still 99% stock. The only things modded/added to this bike are: passenger handles, heel shifter, iPod hookup relocated to saddlebag, and brake light modulator. I had to replace the windshield @55k due to excessive wear. That said, it's pretty much decided; when I ride this one into the ground I'll be looking for a 1:1 replacement. I just know there is someone out there who has an identical bike with far fewer miles. You know the ones...the garage trophies?

Concerns:

1. My second set of grips are wore out! I've had the same set (2 pair) of gloves for the last 38K. I started wearing them religiously after I wore out the last set of grips at 22k. I'm a bit taken aback that $30 worth of gloves have outlasted $200 grips. I'm going to have to go with something aftermarket I suppose.

2. Cruise control is flakey @ <50degF and just plain doesn't work @ <40degF. I'm sure I have some corrosion in the wiring on the handle bars, or at least some looseness. The temperature correlation seems to suggest the latter.

Every thing else just seems to be maintenance issues. Occasional tightening of this and that. I'll need to dig into the air louvers under the fairing and in the lowers next. They're a bit sloppy and don't close completely anymore. I hoping it's an easy fix.

Bullet proof and SOOOO worth the money!

I'm hoping someone keeps that 2012 XCT low mileage garage trophy polished up for me. I'll come to get her someday. ;)

Cheers!
Emack

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Great review EMack!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Great review. thumb up

One thing I noticed, you mentioned carrying your laptop with you. Be advise, the laptop's hard drive will most likely die due to vibrations - The bike will kill just about anything that uses a hard drive. So, unless you have a solid state drive in your laptop, carry it no more, or risk losing it. ;)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I think you're review is SPOT ON. I concur with everything you said and now that I have 10,000+ miles on my bike...I'll add a few RANDOM observations of my own...some positive and some not as positive.

First and foremost, I try to ride to work everyday that I can (usually 4-5 days a week and a 20 mile round trip). EVERY TIME I go into my garage...I SMILE. I still love this bike, it's the BEST bike I have ever owned and I have been riding since 1979.

The storage capacity on this bike is fantastic.

The handling on this bike is fantastic.

Although in the beginning, I felt the heat in the "cockpit" was UNBEARABLE, I have either 1) gotten used to it OR 2) the little things I have done have "improved" it. And while the heat in the box is still an issue, it has become more of a minor issue and not a major one.

The ergonomics of this bike are well thought out damn near perfect! They layout of instrument, the location of the various controls are perfect.

Stock seat is tolerable, and that's saying something for most stock seats.

The shift points in the manual don't reflect my own shift points. The ones in the book appear to force you to "short shift". If you want to enjoy this bike..."WIND-ER OUT". :)

The heated grips work well, in high heat...they work VERY WELL. :)

The paint is susceptible to CHIPS (horrible clear coat). The paint color (mine is white) is very nice. The pearl white is PEARL WHITE!!! :)

Not enough Victory accessories: Where are the trunk and saddlebag liners and organizers? Tank protections (besides the plastic film)??

Floorboards are FANTASTIC!!!!! WOW...so much room on them dudes, you could have a party with them floorboards.

Did I mention I love this (my) bike? Yes, there is no such thing as a PERFECT bike, but this is an excellent bike and while I am sure there are some unhappy people with their Cross Country Tours...my guess is that owner satisfaction of this bike is extremely high.

Wally

·
Registered
19 Posts
[QUOTE
I am a little concerned about the touring windshield. While I quickly got used to looking through the shield, I really have to crane my neck in order to see over it. I'll probably look into comparing the costs of cutting it down -vs- new, shorter shield.
cheers
Emack[/QUOTE]

I have the Klock Werks windshield. I'm 6'2" and I am very happy with this shield.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Great review. thumb up

One thing I noticed, you mentioned carrying your laptop with you. Be advise, the laptop's hard drive will most likely die due to vibrations - The bike will kill just about anything that uses a hard drive. So, unless you have a solid state drive in your laptop, carry it no more, or risk losing it. ;)
Or put it between a couple of T-shirts, and while it may not completely protect you, it will help a whole bunch!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I currently have 5,000+ miles on my XCT, which I picked up, new, in March. I agree with most of the assessment, and like it a lot, and would add the following:

Pro: excellent two-up comfort (backrest area, adjustable footrests, good seat, etc.) and storage.

Con: let me know what you think of it, when you're stuck in slow- (or no-) moving traffic, on a really hot day.

If I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure I would. I might opt for a water-cooled engine, maybe the Kawi Vaquero.

But aside from that, I'm enjoying it immensely. BTW, I got a KlockWerks Flare when I ordered the bike. For me - and to each his own, of course - that stock tall windshield works far too well at blocking air.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Great deal

Emack76 sounds like you got a great deal. Makes me wish I had shopped around more. Not a great wheeler dealer. Enjoy the new ride.

·
13,003 Posts
Emack76

Don't cut your windshield down leave the way it is.
You can use the for the cold seasons.

Get a short one for the hot summer months.

Thats the way I did it takes no time to speak of to change them.
Glade your happy and I hope you are for thousands of miles to come.
thumb up cheers

·
Registered
383 Posts
Henryk, I cut my stock shield down, it is no cost....if you have a jig saw and an orbital sander. Sander makes it very easy. I marked mine at 2" from the top center and then followed the contour arond the side to 0" at a specific spot I picked. That was perfect for me and I am 6'2". The hardest part was laying out my line and getting it even on both sides. Posterboard templet worked great. I still get no buffeting at all and neither does wife and she is almost 6' tall.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Emack76. When you refer to tip over protection, are you talking about the round tubes for the hard lowers?
Yep, those round tubes plus the saddlebag-bars that follow the lines of the bags means you won't ruin your stuff ($$) if you tip her.

Did I mention that by day 2 I was one footing my stops? Excellent balance on this bike. With or without the trunk this bike is a joy at all speeds.

When the salesperson talks you OUT of an extended warranty, you gotta' feel confident!!!

Enjoy all!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I'm way tall than you are at 6'1", and I got a shorter windshield **for Winter** riding. My shield would fog over every morning, so I had to ride standing up for the whole fifteen miles to work, just to see over the stock shield.

I bought a Cee Bailey's 14 inch shield in the same design as the stock shield, but in light tint and with a vent built into the shield. It works great for me. You may need less than 14 inches, but you can specify that when you order it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, thanks. I put those those on my XC, just hope I don't have to find out if they work. Had to lower bike down 1 1/2 to get my feet on the ground better. Works great now. Take care and enjoy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great review. thumb up

How about an iPod/ iPhone...it has a hard drive.... I have been using one for music for 5,000 miles and it still works ...?
(Connected inside the lower fairing storage)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
How about an iPod/ iPhone...it has a hard drive.... I have been using one for music for 5,000 miles and it still works ...?
(Connected inside the lower fairing storage)
No iPhone has ever had a mechanical hard drive. They have flash drives, with no moving parts. There were some iPods that had mechanical hard drives, but most models do not. Flash drives are immune to vibration problems.

As to laptops, I have carried laptops with mechanical hard drives for twenty. Years, up until this month, with no apparent problems. I do carry them in a case, which provides some padding. Now I have a laptop that has only a flash drive - no mechanical hard drive - so again there are no moving parts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I"m sure Ahoutzer's laptop experience about covers it. It wasn't until the last few years that solid state drives became pheasible in desktop computing.

I've been carrying this particular laptop with two wheels daily for the last year. We'll just have to see how it hold up! :)

I will mention that I only carry it when the hard drive is off or hibernating. Good tip.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

12,000 mile Review

Brakes:
After another 10,000 miles - ABS has saved my butt at least once. It's helped out several other times though I can't say it 'saved' me. ABS can be annoying when your tired become worn. It'll skitter a lot more often. This isn't be bike's fault though. IT'S MY FAULT for not changing my tires sooner. ha!

Tires:
Speaking of which - I got 9k out of the rear and 10k out of the front before I hit the wear marks. I stretched them out to 11k and the E3's didn't let me down. I don't push tires to the performance limits and the E3's did me good with mileage and traction, so I got another set. I do NOT recommend pushing them past the wear indicators!!

Transmission:
Still "Clunky." Doesn't bother me a bit but makes my sport biker friends cringe when 1st crashes into place. :) Given the addition of the heel shifter at around 600 miles, I've never missed a shift. Nuetral still engages flawlessly.

Comfort and Storage:
Still packing my laptop every day. The only issues I've had are with static buildup. Plenty of room for everything I need on a daily commute - with space to spare for groceries on the way home. I really appreciate not having to carry anything on my back or strapped across my seat.

Did you know a 10# CO2 tank fits nicely in the saddlebag? haha - gotta' have my beer!

I may have popped a speaker in the trunk as I blasted the sound system down the road. It's got a little hiss to it now but is barely noticed except at a stop, low volume, engine off. I need to double check the connects too to be sure it isn't just a little dirt.

Wind/Rain Management:
Still using the stock sheild only. I got used to it. It's a little troublesome in the rain and on foggy mornings, but rainX products have helped shed the rain and keep fogging to a minimum.

I've ridden my 50 mile commute in 23degF weather. I was cold, but never thought I'd make it 5 miles. Much kuddos here to the bike (and heated components) for making it bearable for me. Starts in those temperatures are a non-issue provided the bike hasn't been sitting for weeks. This bike hasn't gone more than a couple weeks without being ridden due to the mild winter we had here (temperature wise).

Performance:
Good stuff here, no coplaints. I'm running 100% stock - no O2 sensor mods or air filter/exahaust mods.

Tip-over protetion performed perfectly the other day when I joined the tip-over club. I set it down in a parking lot when excersizing some RideLikeAPro skills. 0 damage! I had some guys looking my way with concern.... I gave them a bow, then took a picture of the bike. They offered to help me pick it up, but were amazed when i stood with my back to the bike, grabbed a handle-grip in one hand, passenger grip in the other, and squat pressed the bike up with no trouble at all. It was WAY TOO EASY! Like NO effort. I might argue that my little wife could do it. It was trickier putting the bike on my hip to adjust my grip than lifting. An incline would have made this more difficult as well (no hand on the front brake).

2 up riding:
My Wife LOVES riding behind me. She rides her own (Suzuki C50) 90% of the time, but rides behind me for events/rallies (I'm a patriot guard rider). When we get home afterwards she always wants to keep going! She's threatened to put a cupholder on the back of my vest if I don't get her one that mounts on the bike.

My kids appreciate it as well. Even my 6 year-old likes to ride with me now. The passenger hand holds give her the confidence she needs to relax and smile! I can't wait to start taking the family (of 4) on long trips on our bikes. My light-as-a-feather 12year old has 1000's of miles now as a passenger so should do well behind my wife on her bike.

I did have some SERIOUS stability issues one day in a parade. We jumped on the bike after sitting for a while and pulled out at idle. Immediately I noticed that the bike was extremely difficult to control at the low speed. I thought something was seriously wrong before I realized my wife was squirming vigorously behind me. HA! Dang hot seats!

Dependability:
No Issues here! We had the recall on the throttle cable but was not an issue for me. Oil changes, tires, air filter, that's it! I took care of my own service at the suggested intervals, but will take it in soon to have it gone over by a pro. Easy bike to work on for maintenance. Oil changes take me about 20 minutes these days and most of that is waiting for the oil to drain. I'm using Rotella T @ 3k mile intervals with no problems.

Critiques:
1) Oil Changes are borderline over-fill if done by the book. It produced weeping from the air-box, particularly when letting it idle on the kickstand on mild grades (where the bike leans heavily). Ruined a couple pair of khakis like this. FIX: Was easy, use 1/2 or 1/4 qt less when refilling.

2) Heated seat controls are difficult to use with gloves on. Would prefer to see the controls on the dash, but I understand why they are not on the dash. Small potatoes here.

3) It gets dirty too quick when you ride as much as I do. Of course, that's not the bike's fault now is it? ...and I'm really reaching for this one but I had to have 3. lol

12,000 mile Summary:
Fantastic Machine!

I haven't even had to adjust the throttle or clutch cables! When I ride this one to death, I'll be buying another cross country tour (used next time probably). I'm counting on someone out there to keep a 2013 'ness CCT as a trophy (low miles/good maintenance) until they're ready to sell it to me.

Cheers!
Emack
cheers

1 - 20 of 50 Posts