Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 XR that has been sitting from some time (moved from Florida about 1 1/2 years ago and bike has been sitting since the move馃槶).
Today, before firing it up I:
Adjusted the Clutch cable to spec
Adjusted the linkage to spec
Drained the gas and put fresh gas in.
Checked the oil

Fired right up! Seems to be running fine. Warmed her up for about 10 minutes. Could not get it from Neutral to 1st. Could get it to 2nd so I took her on the road to see if maybe I could downshift to 1st. No luck. Seems to shift fine (both up and down) 2nd to 6th and back.

Brought it back. Using my hand (with the bike shut off) I can feel the shifter move towards 1st from neutral but will not engage no matter how much I rock the bike.

Before I pull the Primary, anyone had this issue (or knows about it) that can give me a course of action?

Thanks!

Premium Member
Sounds like the dot on the shift shaft is not aligned with the dot on the clamp.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The service manual is not real clear. "Install shift linkage arm on Shift Shaft with dots aligned". Does not elaborate on what "dots" or where I might see them. I presume by "clamp" you mean what the manual refers to as "Shift linkage arm"? (Where the cable ties to external on the primary cover)

Premium Member
The service manual is not real clear. "Install shift linkage arm on Shift Shaft with dots aligned". Does not elaborate on what "dots" or where I might see them. I presume by "clamp" you mean what the manual refers to as "Shift linkage arm"? (Where the cable ties to external on the primary cover)
There is a dot stamped on the end of the shaft, and another on the shift linkage arm. you need to look close.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found them, they are aligned perfectly. This is insane, the bike only has around 2k miles on it and I have owned it since it was new.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I am an idiot:rolleyes:. Been so long since I road it, my brain went to my old Harley days and I was trying to pull up from neutral to first. DUH... One down 5 up dummy (me). The NSA didn't help me figure it out either. That's why couldn't move the shifter up from neutral. Sorry for the bother. I'm gona go have a beer get over my stupidity,

Registered
So I am an idiot:rolleyes:. Been so long since I road it, my brain went to my old Harley days and I was trying to pull up from neutral to first. DUH... One down 5 up dummy (me). The NSA didn't help me figure it out either. That's why couldn't move the shifter up from neutral. Sorry for the bother. I'm gona go have a beer get over my stupidity,
What Harley were you riding that had a reverse shift pattern? I've switched a couple of my Buells to the "GP" reverse pattern other than that the '72 Superglide was the only one I know of. Just curious.
Some people think it's amusing to go through life as a dumb ass. Me? I'm finding it to be a serious handicap.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Issue resolved
What Harley were you riding that had a reverse shift pattern? I've switched a couple of my Buells to the "GP" reverse pattern other than that the '72 Superglide was the only one I know of. Just curious.
Some people think it's amusing to go through life as a dumb ass. Me? I'm finding it to be a serious handicap.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't find it "amusing" at all! I road this Vic for years on a small island where the longest point to point was 8 miles (hence the low milage). Once I moved to Ut, had to store it for over a year. Just this week I took it out of storage. I am mad enough at myself. The NAS on the Vic did not help. There has not been a bike I have ridden in the last 40 years that I couldn't figure out the shift pattern (Norton, AJS, Triumph, Honda, Harley, BSA). Find Neutral, pull up and count. Unfortunately for me, ya can't do that on this Vic because of the NAS. I knew about it but did not put 2 and 2 together so I spent a couple of days, and input from the group, before it dawned on me.

I am sorry for wasting peoples time.

Registered
We have all been there or will be. No worries enjoy the ride.

Registered
I don't think anyone said you were wasting our time. sometimes a lapse happens. when i left for boot camp and my 2.5 years of schooling courtesy of the navy, i didn't remember shifting down for first and shifted into second on a 1981 Yamaha Maxim 550. We have all been there at one time or another. However I am curious about this statement:

Find Neutral, pull up and count. Unfortunately for me, ya can't do that on this Vic because of the NAS.
now while i haven't ridden tons and tons of old bikes, the oldest being a 1970's triumph bonneville (and that had a right side shifter), but any bike that i have ridden has always had a shift pattern that is the same - down or up for first from neutral (99% of everything i have ridden has been down for first and up for the remaining gears) and then the opposite direction for the rest of the gears. I attempted to ride a suicide shift harley once and i just couldn't quite get the hang of it. i know there was a former coworker of mine who had a BSA and that was up for first and down for the rest, but anything from the 70's, including my old ironhead sportster, has been down for first and up for the next 3-5 gears. Neutral assist is actually kind of nice when you go to shift into neutral and you don't have to sit playing the inch the shifter up just a shade, oh sh!t its in second, ok down just a little, sh!t back into first......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts