Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 times now bike seems to run out of gas. Last time at 142 miles ,got it to gas station and it only took 4.2 gallons.Dealer said never heard of.......any suggestions

·
Registered
827 Posts
3 times now bike seems to run out of gas. Last time at 142 miles ,got it to gas station and it only took 4.2 gallons.Dealer said never heard of.......any suggestions
Sounds like the dealer needs to do an experimental autopsy of the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
My guess is a pump issue where it just does not pump right when the level gets low. There are some filters on the inlet that might have become degraded by a bad tank of fuel.

·
13,188 Posts
There was a guy here that had problems with gage not reading right. He pulled the pump and did a new float arm for the gage. Do a search.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Can the fuel pickup become disconnected from the pump? Maybe it's something like that...

·
Registered
848 Posts
So Words mean something here. "Out of Gas" so at 142 miles you are sucking air and pushing the bike? Or, are you showing a Hey Stupid you go find a Gas Station light?

Tank size is 5.8 gal, how much can you put in? 5.8 gal. What is filled up? To the bottom of the lip or to the top of the tank? My 2013 has this stupid lip inside the filler neck fill to the bottom of that you are about .5 gal short of full cap. Fill above that almost overflowing you have 5.8 gal to work with.

My stupid get gas light comes on giving my about 1 US gallon of gas left, 36-45 miles to the beat feet express.

·
13,188 Posts
What does the gas gage showing when you run out?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think Squatch is right...The OP probably means that the low fuel light comes on. at 142 miles. I know if I stop at the gas station right away, it always takes about 4 gallons to refill.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
He didn't actually say "runs out of gas" so I would agree also that he's referring to the low fuel indicator instead of a stalling engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
out of gas

light comes on around 120 miles...142 miles it shut off at stop sign.started but would pop ,go a distanc then shut off again...till made gas station maybe 1 or 2 miles

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
gas pains

If you are running it hard, running WOT a lot I could see that. I know playing with my bike when I get on it hard or WOT a number of time the mileage drops way down. I recently got 30mpg, but I was running it harder than normal. When you do a few tweaks it is fun to see how she runs, but those fast girls(or not so fast) like to spend lots on gas when your having a blast taking it fast.....almost sounded like a poem, lousy one.

·
Registered
545 Posts
light comes on around 120 miles...142 miles it shut off at stop sign.started but would pop ,go a distanc then shut off again...till made gas station maybe 1 or 2 miles
Hey... no one is listening to what you are describing. If your tank holds 5.8 gallons and you are kaput at 4.5 gallons... then there is 1.3 gallons not being reached by the fuel uptake. It's got nothing to do with the idiot light and you thinking you are out of gas... even your dealer is not listening.

I do not know allot about CC's, but my best guess is that the fuel pump assembly is not fastened down properly which would explain why both the fuel alert light comes on early and the unit part #13 is not picking up the remaining fuel in the bottom of the tank... go to www.parts.polarisind.com and enter your bike info at the top and then drop down to fuel system schematic.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Are you filling the tank to the bottom of the filler neck consistently? If you insert the nozzle fully and quit pumping when the pump shuts off you will be far from full.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ok next questions.
#1 When you fill up, where is the level of the gas? top of the tank or top of the lip?

#2 How many miles do you have on the bike? What mods are done?

#3 How do you ride? hard and fast, slow roll?

Question one if you don't fill the tank all the way up you getless than 5.8 gallons. there is a difference from the bottom of the lip to the top of the tank filler neck, about .8 gallon

Question two, if you have low miles the bike is still tight and milesage will be poor. after around 5000 miles the bike loosens up and mileage improves. Are you stock or modded? what mods do you have and who is the bike tuned? Make a big difference in performance Also Maintenance is the air filter clean dumb question yes but it is a PITA to get to if you are not used to do the work.

Lastly, if you ride like you stole it you mileage on a stocker is about right. stoplight to stoplight is fun but hell on fuel consumption.
Hot rodding the hills is also a killer in fuel mileage. What kind of gas do you use? high ethonal fuels kill mileage, winter blends also kill mileage, lugging the engine kills mileage.

All else fails it could be a tank pickup problem, or just a maintenance issue. Turn your own wrenches?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts