Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had experience with bikes head up displayarea turning off and on in the middle of a ride... Bike losses power and gear indicator goes out of wak. bike doesn't always stall out though.
The 1st time it happeneded I checked battery terminals and they were loose. It happened again over the weekend so I brought into Sky power in Lakeland to have diagnostic done.
They say nothing is showing an errors when running tests..
With that they suggested i have the bike dyno'd since i have pc5 and lloydz auto time system ...
Anyone have any thoughts???

Thanks,
JT

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had experience with bikes head up displayarea turning off and on in the middle of a ride... Bike losses power and gear indicator goes out of wak. bike doesn't always stall out though.
The 1st time it happeneded I checked battery terminals and they were loose. It happened again over the weekend so I brought into Sky power in Lakeland to have diagnostic done.
With that they suggested i have the bike dyno'd since i have pc5 and lloydz auto time system ...

Thanks,
JT
I would check your main breaker. I have read on the forum about a number of folks having them go bad.

·
13,038 Posts
are you blipping the throttle killing the bike. Blipping is a no no
for sure get the dyno

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm putting my money on the ol' battery terminals being loose.

You need to get in there and tighten them with a 10mm socket or wrench. NO screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Blipping

So being not even a week old Victory owner, I take it that this blipping is a bad thing for Victory's?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
So being not even a week old Victory owner, I take it that this blipping is a bad thing for Victory's?
And so are loose battery terminals. Helpful hint: Place lock washers under 'em and keep 'em tight.thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
It's not bad, it just coughs and cuts off the fuel if it sees the RPM suddenly jump. It gets better as you break it in and if you add a fuel controller and timing wheel.

But also do make sure the battery connections are tight as the others mentioned. Lose battery connections are the most common reason.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
It's not bad, it just coughs and cuts off the fuel if it sees the RPM suddenly jump. It gets better as you break it in and if you add a fuel controller and timing wheel.

But also do make sure the battery connections are tight as the others mentioned. Lose battery connections are the most common reason.
yeah mine werent tight when I undid them to fit my Ness air filter,
gotta remember some lockwashers too.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts

Bassani Exhaust and Power Commander should be here this weekend. Good thing. Thanks for answering newbie questions for me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hello,

Thanks,
JT
JT,
Vic's are very funny about Electrical power. Battery is first place to check, Main breaker Left side chin fairing, is anothe place to check. The breaker itself is a suspect as it along withthe rest of the wiring harness comes from China. Replace the 40A breaker with a Buss breaker and you will solve a bunch of issues.

If you have a PC-V and Auto Tune, why is the shop suggesting that you have it dyno'd for an electrical problem? Run do nto walk away from that dealer.

Check all of your power leads for tightness as well as the ground leads. My money says you will solve the problem.

Question, did you wash the bike recently? again the electrical system is from China and water integrity is not their strong suit.

2 cents from teh cheap seats.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Jacking the throttle in short bursts to make the beast bark for no reason.
CR,
it has a place in down shifting when done correctly. It is called rev matching and it helps with down shifts in manual transmissions. Vic is no exception.
The reason it causes problems with the Vic in the Stock configuration is due to the operating system in the ECU. First off it is slow update rate wise and second it is a closed loop set up.

When you wack the throttle open quickly the ECM see an imbalance in the fuel system tries to compensate for it and stalls the engine either by over fueling or under fueling. either way by the time teh ECU catches up the engine is stalled. Thi shappens a bunch when using the engine to brake the bike and high RPMs are involved. Whiel it sounds cool(?) it is over reving the motor and the fuel system is going nuts to figure out what is going on, so when you "blip" the throttl eto catch the next lower gear the motor stalls and is just dieseling to a stop due to being in gear.

Rev matching:

as you slow the rpms drop in any particular gear, down shifting the engien is running slower than the next lower gear wants. The ideal way to do this is to slow the rpms in the high gear and crack the throttle open as you down shift cleanly changing gears and matching the lower gears RPM without jerking the drive train.

Watch a road race, the bikes/cars are not in a prolonged hi rpm engine braking situation but a low rpm downshifting one. each down shift has a rev match "blip" before shifting resulting a smooth transition.

Problem is not may who drive a manual transmission understand this technique.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yes what Squatch said. 40 amp breaker should be checked. pull it apart and look for moisture and corrosion. clean it and lube the prongs with dielectric lube. Try t0 keep this part of the bike dry. Hard to do in the rain but when washing do not stream water in this area. Star washers and blue Loctite is your friend for battery terminals.

Don't know much about the auto tune feature. If you are near one of the great Victory tuners then call them and ask for help. Lloyds and the Vic shop are always eager to help.

good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
JT,
Vic's are very funny about Electrical power. Battery is first place to check, Main breaker Left side chin fairing, is anothe place to check. The breaker itself is a suspect as it along withthe rest of the wiring harness comes from China. Replace the 40A breaker with a Buss breaker and you will solve a bunch of issues.
Squatch,
Where did you get your 40A breaker from? Is there a particular part number. I have not had a problem but this might be a good preventative measure.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Squatch,
Where did you get your 40A breaker from? Is there a particular part number. I have not had a problem but this might be a good preventative measure.
Yeah prevention is better than cure...specially stopped roadside somewhere. Where is it situated on my 2010 Vegas?

·
13,038 Posts
Squatch,
NAPA p/n 782-3116 pick up some silicon cover studs

·
Registered
848 Posts
Squatch,
NAPA, as VJ said. I used Dielctric grease on the connections

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Advanced Auto parts had it

Picked up the replacement circuit this evening.
It was like $4.
No to install. Looks like the radiator is bolted to side panel.. ugh.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks fort he feedback

I am working with another Victory dealership.
I am replacing the breaker today and will get out on a nice ride tomorrow.
Funny thing is that I have not had the problem again in last couple rides..
Kissimmee FL dealership is working w Victory directly after I opened a ticket with Polaris about this problem.

Again Thanks all....
Daytona Ill be getting the cams and dyno done by Kyle....
HEll yeah!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts