Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have been on this forum a while ago when looking to purchase a victory then gave up with the purchase of the bike and then finally few months ago I purchased a 2013 Vegas 8 ball. Since the purchase I noticed a weird issue, sometimes my starter wouldn’t crank the engine and all lights go out when ignition switch is pressed. I looked around the forum and here is what I have done so far:
Replaced battery, replaced solenoid, replaced starter, tied and greased all wires from the battery to the starter! Today I went for a short ride and when I turn the engine off I was unable to start it again. Good news I was about mile away from home and end up pushing it back. My engine wouldn’t it turn more then half a turn. I got home and started looking in to this. Charged the battery and checked all Connections as always, still no luck with cranking the the engine. However I when took the spark plugs out engine spins! When I put them back it’s the same wouldn’t crank and light go out. Please help if anyone experienced anything like this! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,056 Posts
It sure sounds like a bad battery. Can you jump start the battery with a jump pack or other known good battery. It wouldn't be the first time a new battery turned out to be no good.

Be sure the connections at the battery, starter, and ground are all good and solid.

Take a reading with a voltmeter before you start and write down the reading. If the bikes starts; take another reading at the battery and write it down. Share both readings here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BBob, Thank you for quick reply. I just tried jumpstarting bike from my car battery. Still no luck exactly as previously engine would not turn more then half turn and lights go out :( all connections were inspected earlier today to avoid and faulty connections. when this bike runs it pulls like a train! Can the compression be issue?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I do not know if this helps, but when my battery started to go bad I had 10.0 vdc with the key on and all lights would work. When I press the start button, the lights would dim / go out and the engine would not turn over. Put a new battery in (10.5 vdc static) and all worked well. I believe at less my bike needs better than 10.0 vdc or will not turn over. The battery has been in 5 mo. now and still works great and holds 10.5 vdc or better.
Hopes this helps,

·
Premium Member
13,056 Posts
BBob, Thank you for quick reply. I just tried jumpstarting bike from my car battery. Still no luck exactly as previously engine would not turn more then half turn and lights go out :( all connections were inspected earlier today to avoid and faulty connections. when this bike runs it pulls like a train! Can the compression be issue?
Okay. Has to be the starter or a connection at the starter or ground.

When you pulled the plugs it has hardly any resistance so the weak starter could spin the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good morning BBob,
Thank you for the advise. I ordered new starter since this is driving me crazy! Should receive it tomorrow and as replaced will advise. Hopefully that is the issue. Tthank you again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning 541RF,
Thank you for your advise. I tried jump starting the bike with my car battery and still no luck. Just ordered new started we will see if it helps.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Like to see what it could be

Once in my FJ40 i had a bad cell in the battery, it measured ok, charged ok, even the green indicator on the battery was ok

But it wasn't so the battery shop measured it and laughed, it does happen from time to time ,

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Motorcycle forums are replete with tales of weak batteries causing problems like those described. Checking the battery should almost always be the first step in diagnosing starting problems. In this case, while I don't recall the O.P. saying they checked the battery, having the same problems when jumping from a car battery is pretty definitive for this not being a battery problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good morning 541RF,
Thank you for your advise. I tried jump starting the bike with my car battery and still no luck. Just ordered new started we will see if it helps.

Thank you,
No problem hope you find the problem, keep us updated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes circuit breaker was replaced with new one - no change engine will not crank.
Here are other things that I tried so far:
Bypass circuit breaker - no change
Tied all wire connections from starter to battery, greased and cleaned -no change
I received new starter today! Just finished replacing it - still no change as before engine will not crank.
connected bike to my car battery to eliminate battery as being the issue - no change

If any one has other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,056 Posts
Yes circuit breaker was replaced with new one - no change engine will not crank.
Here are other things that I tried so far:
Bypass circuit breaker - no change
Tied all wire connections from starter to battery, greased and cleaned -no change
I received new starter today! Just finished replacing it - still no change as before engine will not crank.
connected bike to my car battery to eliminate battery as being the issue - no change

If any one has other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you!
When you say you greased the battery and starter connections; did you put dielectric grease between the connections or only on the outside of them?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just something to try, hook a battery straight to a good ground and touch the + lead right to the starter post. If it turns, you have a wire or component passing volts but not amps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BBob, Connections were cleaned, tightened and I used grease to avoid corrosion, not applied between the wire connection.
Thank you

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bummer. It seems that, with everything replaced, there is likely a broken wire somewhere. One last suggestion that you have likely already done: Check and clean the battery ground where it connects at the frame, or engine.

Good luck with it. Patience, and some time, and she will be up and running again.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update!
So I got home yesterday, as suggested by 541RF I took my jumper cable connected them straight to my started. Still no change! However what I noticed my jumper cables got hot after a few tries. This made me thinking as maybe the jumper cables were faulty, although I bought them for this issue few days ago! I went back to Auto zone, purchased new jumper cables as well as new battery for the bike. Installed the battery, cleaned the connections again, connected new jumper cables to my car. And it started on first try! I have to admit since I own it never started so easy! Not sure at this point if it was battery that had dead cell and jumper cables that were faulty all together. I have to test but I wanted to share the news. So I charged the new battery through the night and tried the bike again, starts like a champ! No boost from my car anymore, on new battery! Thank you all for suggestions and advises! I was getting aggravated and ready to get it to the shop! Good lesson learned!

·
Premium Member
13,056 Posts
That's great news! I recently read they are using aluminum wire in the cheap jumper cables. Those are no good. Gotta have copper wired cables.

One thing I've also done in the last year or so is have a battery jumper pack in each vehicle. Way better than jumper cables unless, of course, the pack hasn't been recharged after discharging it from use. Should be good for a year on one charge if not used.

Something like THIS.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Great, I am glade it worked out. I know my 04 Vegas needs a good strong 10.5 vdc to start, any thing less it may!! turn but won't start.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts