Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went for a long ride today, about 400 miles, bike drove awesome all day. I got it home and go to pull it in the garage and it stumbled then died. When I tried to restart it the check engine light came on and it would only turn over and not start. I took the key out and let it sit for maybe 2 minutes and tried to start it again, all it did was turn over and wouldn't start but no check engine light that time.

Anyone have a similar issue or idea as to what happened

It is a 2013 Vegas 8-Ball that has 3000 miles on it and a Power Commander and Freedom exhaust

UPDATE: I went back out to attempt to start it again, it cranked and would not start for a minute or so, let it sit again and then it fired right up and seemed normal. The engine did seem like it was pretty warm still even after sitting. What could cause the bike to heat up, I was not sitting in traffic or anything and was riding it just before putting it away.

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Check your battery connections... Sounds stupid but trust me. P.S. Your bike didn't drive awesome.... You don't drive bikes you ride them.

·
Premium Member
13,300 Posts
A new bike like that should NOT have these kind of problems but yes; definitely make sure the connections at the battery are good. Kinda wondering if a breaker kicked out or if the fuel pressure had an issue. Maybe both combined.

Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had done some reading before posting and had checked the battery connections. Forgot to mention that and both were good. I also pulled the plugs and they both looked good.

·
Premium Member
13,300 Posts
On a carb bike I would be thinking a vent problem with the tank developing a vacuum and not letting the fuel flow.

Being fuel injected; I would lean more toward an air leak or something else involving fuel system like fuel pump or injectors. Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the tank to see if anything obvious stands out. Can you hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system? Does it start easily now that it's cold. Might be too late to start it right now but in the morning would be a good time to check. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run some injector cleaner through it. I like Sea Foam. About 1/2 can every oil change does it for my bikes.

Is it still under warranty by chance?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will go out today and try to restart it agin but even when it actually started last night it started right up and idled just like normal and like nothing at all was wrong.

I didn't pull the tank but pulled the cheese wedges and was looking in there and it didn't appear as though anything was out of place/unplugged or anything. There is no fuel leaking anywhere.

Yes it is still under warranty.

One of my other concerns is how hot the heads were. It had not got that hot all day with continuous riding then suddenly did it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Power Commander 5 and everything appears to be working properly with it.

I do not have a dyno tune yet but do have a baseline tune for the exhaust on the bike. I can try to upload a copy of the MAP if that could be of any assistance.

I was just out with the bike and it started up and ran with no problem whatsoever.

Could this just be a fluke thing or should I continue to dig deeper?

once again thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
13,300 Posts
I know you said you checked the battery terminal connections but sometimes, not often, it's corrosion so they need to be removed, cleaned with a wire brush, and put back on. I like to use some dielectric grease to keep the corrosion down. It's not something that takes long to do and eliminates the battery terminals as a cause.

It could have been a strange fluke. Something with the communication between the ECM and PC-V or maybe a TPS thing. It's beyond me in that area.

You mentioned hot heads when the issue started. It may not be a bad idea to ride it around the block or a couple of miles to see if it does that again. If so; I'd not ride it until the dealership has a chance to check it out. It clearly has something to do with either the timing, the tune, or something hinkey with the ECM/PC-V.

I'd still not rule out an air leak somewhere though even though this bike is too new to have cracked boots and such. You could spray some carb cleaner around the intake under the tank to see if the idle changes. You could probably do that without lifting the tank.

Just some ideas. My Vic's, knock on wood, all four of them have never had any engine trouble like this. The XC only had peripheral issues like the cruise control and a leaky rear shock. Older Vic's like my 04 KP have been known to develop issues with rubber or plastic cracking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did go around the block quick just to see how it was running but didn't go too far. I have to go to work in a little while so don't want to start digging into anything too crazy and don't want to take it out and get stranded but will get up tomorrow morning and take it for a longer ride.

I have had the PCV installed for about 2500 miles and there have been no issues up until this point.

I will try to do some more tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far and if anyone has experienced the same thing I would still like to hear from you.

Once again, thanks.

·
13,038 Posts
first off your motor will go so hot you can't place your hand on it. I'm talking hole motor and it takes hour or more to cool down.

Always check battery bolts with 10mm wrench. 90% of the time a sealed battery will not have any carosin cause its sealed.

not starting could of been a touch of vapor lock.

pulling spark plugs would tell you there wet and no firing. Dry plugs would tell you no fuel.

Pulling gas tank would not help you

your PCV map might be off get it dynoed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took the bike out today for about 35-40 miles maybe a little more and it ran great the whole time with absolutely no issues.

I am stumped ...

·
Premium Member
13,300 Posts
So I took the bike out today for about 35-40 miles maybe a little more and it ran great the whole time with absolutely no issues.

I am stumped ...
Me too. Intermittent issues like this are the hardest to find unless it does it exactly when the Vic techs have it hooked up to their Digital Wrench computer.

I think I would call and ask the service dept. at your dealership what they think you should do. They may suggest you bring it down so it can be put on the Digital Wrench to see if any warnings pop up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i will give him a call and see what he thinks. Once again thanks for the ideas everyone.

·
Registered
784 Posts
2 things and I'll bet you don't care to hear (read) number 1. Check the battery cables--With a wrench--. If you did so --with a wrench--, then disregard.
Second is something I seem to remember about intermittent bugs. Where is the box for the PC located. Seems they guy said something about the box getting pressure from the seat and causing some sort of funny business. It seems it took some time for his to show up as well. He relocated the box and all was well.

Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep they have been checked twice lol. And it is far enough under the seat where the seat isn't touching it.

I just got off the phone with the guy at my local dealership and he says he has seen it before where the bikes are storing a low voltage code even when he knows its not (he has a Hammer).

He actually has a question out to Victory about it and is going to let me know what he hears and said I can bring mine in to see if its storing a code.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've had a few episodes with my 2004 Vegas... not the shutting down part but deciding not to start after riding for awhile. The starter sounds funny and acts like it gets flooded.

After several more attempts with no starts, I wait a few minutes and then give it another try. This time, I turn the throttle just a hair, hit start, and it catches.

Last week after gassing up, I hit the starter and it sounded so crazy I looked around a little embarrassed. Can't describe it!

The is bike #5 and never had one that did this. It's not a problem, rarely ever have a starting issue. Battery is strong... just acts like a contrary woman some times. :ltr:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts