Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new Clutch,

I woudl appear after three trips to Ride like a Pro, and a couple of Demo rides plus 7000 miles out west with the trailer the clutch is given up the ghost.

Bike is on the lift at home and I have new steels and fibers now the question is can this be done without the "Special tools" or can they be purchased from someplace?

Like to get her back up and running before Kyle comes down to put in a variable pressure plate.

HC, Rylan? thoughts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone use a scorpion Clutch from WD? Pro's Con's

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
You will need a compression tool. A Harley tool will work but you'll need to work on a washer to fit the Vic clutch. A bench grinder and 20 minutes should do it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I was in the same boat last summer, one RLP course and a few trips to the mountains pulling a trailer my clutch started slipping in the mid rpm range, it would take off fine but would slip when riding down the road and gas it hard.

Scott at Conquest Customs in Boca did my clutch , replaced it with a Barnett clutch and pressure plate, while there I also had him change out the clutch cable also from Barnett. All is good and and I dont think I'll be doing any RLAP courses any more, Scott had told me for every hour spent on the course its like 10,000 mile of clutch wear , not sure if its true or not but when I did the course my bike was fairly new ( about 2200 miles ) and it was hot, hot enough to cause a vapor lock between drills. I have to admit the RLAP course is fun and a good thing to learn, but the cost of a new clutch is not worth it.

When he took my clutch apart the plates in the center of the pack where glazed over and had signs of being hot, the crevices in the clutch disc where filled in with what looked like burnt oil. I think mine was done at 28,000 miles, I had been using only the Vic oil but now with Scotts recommendation I use Lucas semi synthetic.

·
12,970 Posts
here is what the tool looks like. Maybe a aftermarket shop would rent you one. Or have Kyle bring his tool. It might be only a one time ever need tool

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Clutch-Compressor-08-0137/dp/B000GTW86E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1409007146&sr=8-6&keywords=clutch+spring+tool[/ame]

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I forgot to mention that my XCT Barnett clutch is so much better now , its like a new bike all over again. No more trying to find neutral , shifting up or down is easier , no more surging forward in the morning with the clutch pulled in. All in all a great upgrade from the stock clutch, although it was a bad way to find out I'm kind of glad I did.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Clutch is now out of the bike and on the work bench. Compression tool is on order and with a little luck I might be on the road by the weekend.

Side note did call Barnett about the new clutch the Scorpion provides for more surface area per steel and friction plate. They do this by reducing the size of the hub slightly. The Scorpion also has six coil springs vs the diaphragm spring the Vic has.

HC might be correct that the OEM will handle 130hp, but it has a hard time with 120 torques.

For now the already purchased friction and steels will go in. After a consult with KMC/LLoydz/Rylan ( when they get back from playing in the salt) I will see which way to go Scorpion or Variable pressure plate.

Thanks for the info dentdave.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a little investigation I did get one of the great tuners to call me back, guess they have been on the Salt Lake running after Stugis.

So the response to Scorpion Clutch set up was "no comment".... the recomendation was the variable pressure plate over the Scorpion set up.

Also I was told that the stock set up is good for 120 torques but not much beyond that.

Spring compressor will be in today and I can start breaking into the pack and replacing stuff.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Glad to read your clutch replacement is coming along. How would you rate the job of changing the Victory clutch? From a time and difficulty standpoint.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Just a suggestion Squatch, go by the procedure in the manual for reassembling the pack. Pay attention to details. They count. I had a dealer do mine and he screwed it up 3 times before I finally bought the tool and did it myself. It isn't hard.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to read your clutch replacement is coming along. How would you rate the job of changing the Victory clutch? From a time and difficulty standpoint.
Rate the job, hum... I will say it is a fairly easy job to pull the bike apart. Cover comes off with only a bit of a strugle, using a Piece of Delrin block to kep the gears from turning makes takign the clutch pack off easy.

I was going to try to 4 c-clamp methode of removing the diaphragm but decided to go with a spring compressor. Was told by Rylan that this woudl make the process easy.

Overall on a scale of 1-10 10 being a complete engine rebuild I would rate this a 3/4.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a suggestion Squatch, go by the procedure in the manual for reassembling the pack. Pay attention to details. They count. I had a dealer do mine and he screwed it up 3 times before I finally bought the tool and did it myself. It isn't hard.
Details, details, yes they count. Local dealer sucks at anything but extracting money from my hands and installing tires, so I am not going that route.

Built and rebuild a few vehicles in my time to include a Stearman so I like details in manuals. The whole job looks like a easy assembly and reassembly providing the basket is not toast. if that is the case then I might be off the road for a bit longer. So far all looks good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are using Barnett plates and steels, DO NOT follow the Vic service manual re-assembly. The Barnett clutch has some different steels. There should be instructions in the Barnett package, follow them.

Be sure to soak the new fibers in new oil while you are disassembling the pack.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are using Barnett plates and steels, DO NOT follow the Vic service manual re-assembly. The Barnett clutch has some different steels. There should be instructions in the Barnett package, follow them.

Be sure to soak the new fibers in new oil while you are disassembling the pack.
Please explain your comment. I noticed the friction plates are different but he steels look to be the same.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So with a little digging and phone work, Barnett plates and steel will go in the same way the OEM plates and steels go. No diference. There is a difference in the friction plates that are all the same build, meaning the pads are all identical. So there is no order to install the plates.

In a separate bag there is a different friction ring and the Jutter washer and spring. Directions on how to install these are very clear.

Bonus, the Strake nut and spring washer can be re-used. The bike goes back together tonight.

Now to wait on KMC to return my call aboutthe variable pressure palte install.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Based on my experience replacing the clutch in my 06 Vegas. Referencing the Vic service manual for 06-07 Vegas\Kingpin, I noticed the assembly instructions were different than the instruction sheet included with the Barnett pak. If my memory is right, it might have been an extra spring or something in a different order.

That was 4 or 5 years ago, things might have changed. I got the pak and pressure plate from Lloydz
http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000035

Apologies if that threw you off, but at least you checked to make sure.

I didn't mention this earlier, but it helps to have some 3" bolts the same size as the ones in the primary (6mm ?), cut the heads off, and screw them lightly into place in the primary. This helps hold the gasket in place and keeps the primary cover aligned straight when that stator grabs hold and pinches your fingers!

But, you probably have dealt with it by now. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The devil is in the details.... interesting thing about the aftermarket on our bike is there are some experts to take to about these things.

The Vic Shop

KMC

Lloydz

Rylan is a great guy and very helpful. He even answered his phone today on the way to work to chat about another related issue I have. Great guy!

PS Barnett steel/friction plates same number of components as OEM. Not same design but same components.

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rylan installed my Variable clutch and hit hooks up viciously ! He did have to clearance the primary cover though. He also used the stock plates just cleaned them up. I guess I caught mine early enough that it did not jack the plates up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
176 Posts
Time for a new Clutch,

I woudl appear after three trips to Ride like a Pro, and a couple of Demo rides plus 7000 miles out west with the trailer the clutch is given up the ghost.

Bike is on the lift at home and I have new steels and fibers now the question is can this be done without the "Special tools" or can they be purchased from someplace?

Like to get her back up and running before Kyle comes down to put in a variable pressure plate.

HC, Rylan? thoughts
Sorry to hear you need a new clutch. I've looked all over and can't find a video on how to do a clutch job on a XCT, any chance you can do one on yours? I too burnt up a clutch doing a course like the Ride Like a Pro when I had my Kawasaki but I was new and running the rpms way too high. I've run the course once since getting my 2012 XCT and will probably do a few more but only at close to an idle. I saw a guy on a vision doing a hell of a job and could barely hear his engine so I followed him and felt like I was in the zone and not worried about the clutch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts