Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions!
I need to replace my rear pads on my 2013 XCT. This would be my first brake replacement job. I've watched the Witch Dr. video on how to do it. Looks pretty straight forward and about a 20 minute or so job. Any tips or gotcha's I should be aware of? And of course my local dealer would be out of stock of pads. So I'll have to order them. At 45k miles I rather be doing things like this myself. When the dealership replaced the brake pads last time they went with EBC HH brakes about 40 bucks a pop. I found these on EBay Has any had experience with these pads?

Volar Motorsport Sintered HH Brake Pads

2013-2015 Victory Cross Country Tour Sintered HH Rear Brake Pads

Or would it be better to stay with the EBC brand?

EBC Hi Performance Rear Brake Pads FA196HH | eBay

Thank for your feed back guys. would like to order pads this evening.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Replacing rear pads on an XCT is cake - 20 minutes including getting out your tools and putting them away :) I haven't replaced them yet (25m miles) but have removed them to make rear wheel reinstallation easier.

The only thing I had happen once was the pad spring popped out and it took me a bit to figure out how it went back. If you are careful, you won't have this problem. If you do, it's simple to take care of.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Replacing rear pads on an XCT is cake - 20 minutes including getting out your tools and putting them away :) I haven't replaced them yet (25m miles) but have removed them to make rear wheel reinstallation easier.

The only thing I had happen once was the pad spring popped out and it took me a bit to figure out how it went back. If you are careful, you won't have this problem. If you do, it's simple to take care of.

25 million miles????
Good gravy you ride alot! :grin

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
read customer feedback carefully on ebay lots of counterfeit things end up on there that's why the prices are so good in some cases.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i bought all three sets if my ebc hh pads on ebay, $90 shipped for all three, took less then 30 minutes to install all three sets too.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I went to Lyndalls pads dearer but good!
Make sure you thoroughly clean your pistons before pushing them back in and its a good idea to bleed all your old fluid out so youve got nice clean fresh brake fluid.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I recently replaced the front and rear brake pads on my 13 XC and it went very well. I have no mechanical ability and was able to do it with very little issues. The only one was the front and getting the spring back but I got it after about 10 minutes and watching the Witchdoctors video a couple times. So it goes to show how easy these bikes are to work on it I can do it.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I went with the EBC HH pads front and rear, which I purchased from BikeBandit.com. I have no problems or complains with these pads and they do provide a little better braking feel and power over the stock pads.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
25 million miles????
Good gravy you ride alot! :grin
That should have been 25K. :)
However, 25M would still mean 25,000 and 25MM would be 25,000,000

·
Registered
4,067 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
2012 xct I used the EBC and they work fine but I had bad brake squeak. The cure was to use the anti squeak lube on the back of the pad that touches the pistons and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you need to make sure the bottom of the "inboard" pad is seated properly you can see it from the right side of the bike looking through the wheel area. Once you see how it sits in the caliper it easier to tell if the outboard one is seated correctly.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Which pads?

I installed the EBC HH pads on the front of my XRs. Happy with the results, much more agressive. The rear brake I personally may go with the stock one or one similar instead of the HH pad, just because I do NOT want the rear to be as touchy or more agressive than stock. I do not want the rear wheel to lock up any easier than it does now. Just my thought on it. Also if you change your pads and do not bleed the fluid be sure and check the fluid level after installing the new pads. If somebody along the way has added brake fluid to the ressevoir, then when you push the pistons back into the caliper the ressevoir will or could be overful. IF you ride the bike with the brake caliper overful, that brake could lock up or at least drag on you when the fluid gets hot. Worst case would be it could lock the brake possibly causing an accident, and then the other thing is if you ride around with the brakes applied for too long a period the rotor can warp! Bummer.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Man I guess I'm going to have to look up the different types of pads and which do what. I found out the hard way the "lifetime" pads for your car/truck from say Autozone, while they last a good long time the rotors are toast when the pads wear out. Something has to give and wear. Which is cheaper $20 pads or $90 rotors?
So the last pads I put on my RSV I think I went carbon. Prior to that I remember HH double sintered I think. Anyone have a site that explains all this mystery?

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I lashed out on Lyndall Z-plus front and rear on my Vegas
, important to clean the piston with brakeclean and an old toothbrush before pushing the piston/s back to as not to lodge and crap in there.
Also a good idea to change the brake fluid by flushing it through with new fresh fluid from an unopened container.
Attach a hose to the bleeder and suspend it in a jar with some good fluid in the bottom that way you can crack the bleeder half a turn and just keep steadily pumping till fresh fluid comes out the hose in the jar.
Making sure the master reservoir doesn't empty of course.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Whenever I change brake pads, I smear a very thin layer of anti-seize on the back side in the area where the pistons will contact the brake pad and am careful to not get any of this on the rotor or pad side of the brakes themselves. I've been told this will help to prevent some brake squeal. I just changed the rear pads on my HD Softail yesterday and used the anti-seize. Man, that stuff is messy.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
When I worked in race shops and around racing etc we had a saying. When you get anti-seize on you it will probably beat you home. The stuff gets everywhere. A dab on your finger and next thing you know its on your face, nose, ears ugh.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1464104355.013609.jpg
this fits perfect

1 - 18 of 18 Posts