Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 Vic XCT w less than 900 miles on it. The owner couldn't ride soon after purch & had in garage on trickle charge & said he started it up regularly.

I had it shipped to CA from NC, arrived yesterday. Started right up and idles very nicely. Took it out for a short ride & felt it's running quite rough, I assume, as I've never ridden one but I'd have to think a bike like this would run a heck of a lot smoother.

I didn't see any mention of a [manual] choke and assume that would be too-old school for such a modern bike but if it had one, feels like warm bike w choke on. Starts good, idles good, take for ride....not so good. Not too surprising after virtually sitting for years.

I plan to bring it in for fluids change, etc, as guessing good idea after so long even tho hardly driven. If a pro thinks unnecessary I'd love to hear back. That, & new fuel filter. Any guesses as to roughness? Jets clogged? Tank was virtually empty so has new gas....any thoughts?

I won't be able to bring it in for about a month due to being out of state.

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Howdy, welcome, and congrats. Your new bike has injectors not jets. Fuel injected. The fuel filter is in the tank so before you go pulling the tank to get at it; you might want to check the fuel pressure. Should be at least 49 psi. It is possible the gas got old and varnished in the tank and pump requiring a new one.

If your fuel pump pressure is good then start with the basics and put in some new plugs and make sure they are gapped to spec. Service manual link is in my sig line. Check to see if you have any arcing between the plug wires and anywhere else. Check to make sure the plug wires are well seated on the plugs and coil.

Let us know how it once you check out these basics.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tighten the battery connections with a wrench or socket and not a screwdriver. Loose battery cables cause lots of strange behavior.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,568 Posts
Dump a bottle of seafoam in tank with fresh 93 gas.

Tank being empty sounds bad to me. Possibly damaged fuel filter or mucked up tank from being dry so long. Could be fine though but old gas sitting forever is never a good thing.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It sounds like the OP is not mechanically inclined since it was mentioned he would bring it in to get the fluids changed. A bike that is 6 years old and never ridden is worse than a 6 year bike with a 100k miles IMO. I would not have even started the bike up without an oil change first. Replace the battery even if you think it does not need one. Change out the brake fluid ASAP. As others have said you may want to have the tank removed and inspected as well as the fuel lines and fuel filter. Don't forget the tires, no matter how good they look you need to change them as well.

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
It sounds like the OP is not mechanically inclined since it was mentioned he would bring it in to get the fluids changed. A bike that is 6 years old and never ridden is worse than a 6 year bike with a 100k miles IMO. I would not have even started the bike up without an oil change first. Replace the battery even if you think it does not need one. Change out the brake fluid ASAP. As others have said you may want to have the tank removed and inspected as well as the fuel lines and fuel filter. Don't forget the tires, no matter how good they look you need to change them as well.
I don't usually disagree with you but this is one of those rare times. I just changed a tire on my KP that was 11 years old. It just started showing small spider cracks near the wheel. It spent all its stored life in a garage; not out in the sun.

The oil is probably turning acidic though and should be changed, the battery might be fine; a load test will determine that, I too think there may be an issue with the filters and fuel pump, and I don't think sitting in a garage for 6 years is worse than 100k miles on a Victory. If there are oil or air leaks in the system then they should be addressed though. I agree the brake fluid should be flushed but only as a routine maintenance issue. It's a closed system and brake fluid doesn't really go bad; it gets contaminated by moisture and wear particles.

Cheers and Regards.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee

Several really good suggestions here "rgaryb". Check them all out and see what works for you 1 at a time. 2014 XCT is a great bike and you're in for a real enjoyable ride. Get a back rest and you'll ride for hours and never get tired.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
It takes about 3,000 miles to break in the 106" engine, so yours is still very tight. Although it's a big V-twin, these engines love to rev and should not be ridden under 2500 rpm. So if you rode it under 2500 rpm, that and being not broken in can contribute to rough running along with the above mentioned items. Good luck and keep us posted.
Where in Cali do you live?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do the cheap things first like mentioned above. Check the battery terminals,
change the oil and put a full can of Seafoam through your full tank and go for a ride.

·
13,177 Posts
Change all brake fluid its a must. When you pull gas tank UN Hook fuel line from the fuel rail. Watch out for zip ties.
Now check air filer for junk
like he said get on hands and knees and check tires for cracks.
Pull clutch lever and brake lever and clean and grease now grease the end of the clutch cable.
witchdoctor and youtube has some videos

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Uncoupling the fuel hose from below is how I broke the nipple on the bottom of the tank. Raise the tank - best to have some helping - and disconnect from the fuel nipple at the pump assembly in the tank. Should you break that nipple, I have a cheap and easy repair that makes it stronger than new.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Vic XCT w less than 900 miles on it. The owner couldn't ride soon after purch & had in garage on trickle charge & said he started it up regularly.

I had it shipped to CA from NC, arrived yesterday. Started right up and idles very nicely. Took it out for a short ride & felt it's running quite rough, I assume, as I've never ridden one but I'd have to think a bike like this would run a heck of a lot smoother.

I didn't see any mention of a [manual] choke and assume that would be too-old school for such a modern bike but if it had one, feels like warm bike w choke on. Starts good, idles good, take for ride....not so good. Not too surprising after virtually sitting for years.

I plan to bring it in for fluids change, etc, as guessing good idea after so long even tho hardly driven. If a pro thinks unnecessary I'd love to hear back. That, & new fuel filter. Any guesses as to roughness? Jets clogged? Tank was virtually empty so has new gas....any thoughts?

I won't be able to bring it in for about a month due to being out of state.
what to you mean by rough? was it stumbling ? throttle not responsive? the engine is a stressed member in the frame thats solid mounted so you always feel it running. its fully fuel injected so there is no choke, id definitely change all the fluids including brake, give a good hard look over at everything, tires, belt, all cables.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congratulations on your new machine! Best wishes for many smile filled miles.

If I am reading you correctly, you are going to have the service work done at a shop. If so, they can completely inspect the beast for you. The shop manual for my 15 Gunner shows a service at 500 miles and then again at 5k miles. Did the former owner let you know if the 500 mile service had been done?

I would change all the fluids less the fork oil. The shop manual for my 15 Gunner calls for fork oil replacement at 15K or 2 years, but I would ride her for a while. H-D has extended the service intervals for their front forks, I believe, due to better seals and fork fluid. Back in the day, 2 years was the conventional wisdom.

I like checking the plugs, checking the battery connections and the Seafoam TX. Seafoam works miracles and the chances are that your pump can handle one application. I am not familiar with the XC air intake, but, if it is such that a critter could get into it, you should probably take a look.

I should ask if the exhaust and intake are stock. If the intake has been modified to breathe better, and no changes have been made to the air/fuel mixture, she could run poorly - and hot.

Whatever needs to be done to get her in shape, it will all be worth while. :smile

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts