Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey found a 2014 victory cross country police edition with 14k on Facebook market. would any of you be hesitant buying one?? ive heard police are hard on their bikes, are they reliable?? will parts be hard to find if i should run into that issue

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I don't know that police are hard on the bikes. Rather, they tend to put a lot of miles on the bikes in fairly short time since they are ridden so much. In your case, you have a low mileage bike that was probably maintained properly. No guarantee but I believe it would be a good bike to buy if the price is right. Remember that the price of Victory bikes has gone down a lot since the company closure announcement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know that police are hard on the bikes. Rather, they tend to put a lot of miles on the bikes in fairly short time since they are ridden so much. In your case, you have a low mileage bike that was probably maintained properly. No guarantee but I believe it would be a good bike to buy if the price is right. Remember that the price of Victory bikes has gone down a lot since the company closure announcement.
well we should be able to still find parts for them right??i currently own a highball and want to trade up to a cross counrty

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
well we should be able to still find parts for them right??i currently own a highball and want to trade up to a cross counrty
Parts will be available but some will be harder and harder to find as time goes on but there's a solid following so I think parts will be available for a long time through sources other the Polaris. Wear items like fork seals, clutch plates, and oil filters will continue to be readily available.

Police bikes tend to be ridden hard with a lot of fast starts from stop and long idle times which of course is hard on any air cooled engine. The owner of a dealership who sold police XC bikes mentioned the police bikes that used Amsoil had zero main bearing failures vs those that used Victory brand oil. I asked him what he thought about the difference between a police Vic and a recreational used Vic for general cruising, commuting, and touring. He acknowledged there was a significant difference in how hard the police bike were ran.

Is there any way for you find out what oil was used? In this case it matters. On a regularly owned Vic it wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
no all it says is they service them every 5k miles
5k miles on a bike seeing that level of service is too much IMHO.

If it were me; I'd take a hard pass on this bike.

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
Worth noting is the police bikes that did have the main bearing go out using the Victory brand oil; did it at around 14k miles. Coincidence? There are ways to quiet a bearing that's just starting to make noise. It doesn't fix it but it does make it quiet for a little while until it gets worse.

Also worth noting is the main bearings going out on a regular use Victory is very rare.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I guess it depends on the price but either at $5-7K and I think you would come out alright.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
How much would it cost to take out the motor and upgrade it to a 116 ¿ then you have new internals

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
569 Posts
I can 100% say that police are hard on bikes! I know from experience... Lots of Idle time and lots of rapid acceleration and if they are from a larger city frequent high speed operation. I would say be cautious in the purchase of a used Vic police bike, and never ever consider buying a police Harley! 4yr old Police bike repair costs start to exponentially increase.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
If you buy a used XC police bike, mighty be a good candidate for a complete Lloydz workup. Big bore, cams, all the goodies. Last I knew, Lloydz has engines in stock, ready for modifications...

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,559 Posts
Yeah buying a police bike is like buying a rental car. Lot of abuse in a short period of time. Doesn't mean it can't give you years of enjoyment but I would not give the same money for a police bike as a normal bike. The abused life should be reflected in the price in my opinion.
Lot of used cross bikes out there with plenty of goodies for same money.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah buying a police bike is like buying a rental car. Lot of abuse in a short period of time. Doesn't mean it can't give you years of enjoyment but I would not give the same money for a police bike as a normal bike. The abused life should be reflected in the price in my opinion.
Lot of used cross bikes out there with plenty of goodies for same money.
arkiebiker is selling his CCT for a very reasonable price and the miles are better taken care of miles than the shorter miles of the PD bike. This would be a better purchase than the PD bike.

https://www.victoryforums.com/12-motorcycles-sale-wanted/200173-2012-victory-cross-country-tour.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would be very careful about buying any ex-police vehicle, and I say that with 30 years of inside experience.

Police cars and bikes are viewed by their operators as simply as a piece of equipment to get the job done. Unlike a personally owned vehicle, there is absolutely no sense of ownership, let alone any emotional attachment.

They get their services and they get washed, but they also get driven and ridden hard in daily use.

All that aside though, I'm not saying I would never consider buying one. You just need to go into negotiations with your eyes wide open and in the knowledge that the machine has been ridden in a way that you would probably not consider as normal usage! Cop bikes tend to be pretty adept at jumping gutters and so on, so have a really good look underneath for any possible damage.

As has already been alluded to in this thread, Vic resale has pretty much tanked since the closure so have a good look at what 'civilian' XC's are going for (what they're selling for - not what's being asked!) and base your estimate on that. You'd need to go in lower than your estimate for an ex police bike.

I know a couple of cops who have bought ex-police bikes and are entirely happy with them. As long as you're thorough in your inspection, realistic as to what sort of service the bike has performed in its previous role, and you are prepared to negotiate hard, you could come away with a bargain.

Good luck with it all and let us know how you go.

Russ.

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
arkiebiker is selling his CCT for a very reasonable price and the miles are better taken care of miles than the shorter miles of the PD bike. This would be a better purchase than the PD bike.

https://www.victoryforums.com/12-motorcycles-sale-wanted/200173-2012-victory-cross-country-tour.html
I agree. Another thing to consider when buying any vehicle is highway miles are 10-20% as hard on a vehicle as around town miles. So 100k highway miles would be like 10-20k around town miles. This is partially why big rig trucks usually go a million miles before needing a rebuild.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree. Another thing to consider when buying any vehicle is highway miles are 10-20% as hard on a vehicle as around town miles. So 100k highway miles would be like 10-20k around town miles. This is partially why big rig trucks usually go a million miles before needing a rebuild.
And there water cooled diesels. Big difference :wink

·
Registered
291 Posts
Most police vehicles (actual patrol/pursuit) vehicles usually came with upgraded goodies like heavy duty suspension, up graded bigger brakes, heavy duty alternator systems.
Does anyone know if the police Vics were offered/shipped with such possible upgrades? I would think any cop bike cross country would have to have upgraded electrics, possibly bigger oil cooling system? Pulling speeders over and having the bike idle with lights going and such, they must have up graded electrics at least right?

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
Most police vehicles (actual patrol/pursuit) vehicles usually came with upgraded goodies like heavy duty suspension, up graded bigger brakes, heavy duty alternator systems.
Does anyone know if the police Vics were offered/shipped with such possible upgrades? I would think any cop bike cross country would have to have upgraded electrics, possibly bigger oil cooling system? Pulling speeders over and having the bike idle with lights going and such, they must have up graded electrics at least right?
Doubt it. They upgrade the Harleys when the cops complain they can't catch any Vics, but the Vics... probably all stock plus police lights / radios. :grin

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You can look here. The guy has a listing for the "commander" which was the Cross based bike. If I remember correct, part of the reason city's went with the Vics was because they didnt have to pay for a bunch of mods to bring it into spec for use. I had not realized they had a King pin version too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts