Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ABS light has illuminated on the dash of my bike. It had happened a couple of years ago and I replaced the front wheel speed sensor which solved the issue.

I thought it was probably a similar issue so purchased a new sensor and fitted it to the front on Monday afternoon. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, so I left the new one fitted to the front and kept the one I'd removed, figuring the rear sensor must have been bad.

This afternoon I removed the rear sensor and replaced it with the one I'd removed from the front on Monday. Buttoned everything up and test rode but still no dice - that damn light stayed on.

I ensured that the same spacer washers went back in as they had been and the sensor to ABS ring gap at both ends is 1mm.

Any ideas?

Russ.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Bugs, dirt, etc on the sensor or the ring.

Have you done any bike work recently?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks IV.

I've cleaned the sensors and rings to no avail. The light came on around the same time I fitted new front and rear tyres however I can't think of anything I did differently that may have effected the ABS.

What I have noticed is that my front brake lever is now quite spongy on the initial application and then firms up if you squeeze it a second time - almost like air in the system and in need of bleeding.

Does anyone know if this is something that occurs due to the ABS not functioning correctly?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I believe the abs is a passive system. It doesn't interfere with brake operation unless it is activated.
If your lever feels off I'd bleed the system until it feels right. Just my opinion. I like to stop. :)

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
black electrical tape over the light...about to 'fix' the 'check engine' light on my Subaru:devil

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe these will help...

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses guys, I'll have a bit more of a look at things this weekend and see what I can come up with.

I might even end up going with your 'Bush mechanics' solution MBX!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There are old posts where people had to fool with the shims after changing tires. It seems the sensors are happier with a slightly larger gap for some people. Worth a try.
The problem you have is not knowing if it's front or rear that is upsetting the bike. You'd need dealer tool to get details.

·
Registered
136 Posts
And make sure the wiring loom to both sensors looks OK. I had the light come on after very rough roads bounced the loom down near the caliper into contact with the rear wheel, which wore through one wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts