Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's coming, folks! It is coming sooner than any of us imagined. The Chief's little brother is on his way!

photo_zps1ab73d19.jpg

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Smaller displacement motor, water cooled. :eek:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Smaller displacement motor, water cooled. :eek:
So probably sharing the 1200cc victory engine that's being rummored, ei?!

Sweeeeet!

2015 Seems to be shapping up an exciting year for the motorcycle industry in general. Lots of cool new bikes from various brands. thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Ah right- that must be what my source had heard too, which makes sense.....cool!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
So probably sharing the 1200cc victory engine that's being rummored
No way that will/should ever happen. Would be a death blow if Polaris were to start sharing engines between Indian and Victory. All loyalty on both sides goes out the window, and would be a laughing point from the H-D side. Quickest way to kill Indian off, is taking short cuts like that.
I understand some parts swap over,.. but engines and overall designs should never.. they are 2 different motorcycle companies.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great news - I just hope it's not another cruiser, Polaris already has plenty of them.

I hope the Scout is what the XR1200 should have been. A RnineT, Griso, Monster/Diavel competitor...
Cruiser.....like a small Sportster, maybe a little more performance.

No Diavel, Monster, 9-T, V-Max competition.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Pictures, or it didn't happen. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
No way that will/should ever happen. Would be a death blow if Polaris were to start sharing engines between Indian and Victory. All loyalty on both sides goes out the window, and would be a laughing point from the H-D side. Quickest way to kill Indian off, is taking short cuts like that.
I understand some parts swap over,.. but engines and overall designs should never.. they are 2 different motorcycle companies.

I think there's no way it's a completely different engine just for the scout. Why shouldn't 2 brands that are owned by the same parent company not share an engine if they are used in similarly sized bikes?! Why would they spend the money to design and build a 2nd engine totally from the ground up just so they can say it's "different". You want an Indian scout you can afford, right?! Cutting cost by sharing parts is the way to get there. Ford-Mazda, Dodge-Mitsubishi, Chevy-GMC-Buick-Cadillac all do it! I think it makes perfect sense to use the same rig. They will probably change the cam profile for each, as they probably will want the engines to have different characteristics. And of course they will dress them up differently. But a different engine all together?! No way Jose...

Time will tell.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think there's no way it's a completely different engine just for the scout. Why shouldn't 2 brands that are owned by the same parent company not share an engine if they are used in similarly sized bikes?! Why would they spend the money to design and build a 2nd engine totally from the ground up just so they can say it's "different"...

Time will tell.
For the same reason they didn't use the Freedom 106 in the Chief, they may be owned by the same parent company but they are aimed at two different demographics (though there are some retro riders who like Victory and some modern minded riders who like Indian).

Victory leans more towards the modern cutting edge; Indian leans more towards the retro crowd. That's also the reason Polaris keeps saying Indian is what gives Harley riders a choice which appears to completely ignore Victory. The preception, real or imagined, is a lot of Harley riders won't ride a Victory because of the styling. Having just come off an XR to a Chieftain, the Indians feel more like a Harley than a Victory. Even though they can share some technology below the surface, Indian will stay with a seperate style so they will never share the same engine. And, IMO at least, it would be a death blow if Indian sported a Victory engine.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
For the same reason they didn't use the Freedom 106 in the Chief, they may be owned by the same parent company but they are aimed at two different demographics
That would surely be the corporate reasoning, but as you've shown, they are also cannibalizing their long standing brand to take another shot at Harley guys who are more susceptible to brand manipulation than quality ride experience.

the Indians feel more like a Harley than a Victory.
They certainly sound a lot more like a Harley. The one I rode was more compact like a Harley, though the bike felt much like a Victory going down the road. The Harley's I've ridden feel much less connected to the road. Like riding on cotton balls or something.

Even though they can share some technology below the surface, Indian will stay with a seperate style so they will never share the same engine.
I'd say that's a safe bet. OTOH, I'd also bet that the same engineers who designed the Vics are designing the Indians. Not like there are a bunch of guys wandering around Iowa with that kinda technical talent looking for something to do.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wrong Topic....

All this talk about sharing motors or not... WHO CARES ???? What I don't like is the smaller motor. I HOPE they do come out with the Scout soon. But if it has anything other than the Thunderstroke 111, then I'm keeping the Kingpin. Love the Pin, but a new Scout with the 111 would sway me in a heartbeat. I would probably look at the new water-cooled Vics quicker than a water-cooled Scout (but then I haven't seen the Scout yet.... wink, wink...).

·
Registered
566 Posts
For the same reason they didn't use the Freedom 106 in the Chief, they may be owned by the same parent company but they are aimed at two different demographics (though there are some retro riders who like Victory and some modern minded riders who like Indian).

Victory leans more towards the modern cutting edge; Indian leans more towards the retro crowd. That's also the reason Polaris keeps saying Indian is what gives Harley riders a choice which appears to completely ignore Victory. The preception, real or imagined, is a lot of Harley riders won't ride a Victory because of the styling. Having just come off an XR to a Chieftain, the Indians feel more like a Harley than a Victory. Even though they can share some technology below the surface, Indian will stay with a seperate style so they will never share the same engine. And, IMO at least, it would be a death blow if Indian sported a Victory engine.
Yes, so the indian and victory "variants" of that engine will differ in intake, cam and exhaust design, so that you get that unique character from each. But I'm still not buying that polaris will build an entirely new engine of the same displacement just to be different. It doesn't make any financial sense.

I bet they admit to the victory engine being a "variant" of the indian, or vice versa. I have no insider knowledge so I am speculating of course. We'll get the details soon and come back to this thread. ;)

All this talk about sharing motors or not... WHO CARES ???? What I don't like is the smaller motor. I HOPE they do come out with the Scout soon. But if it has anything other than the Thunderstroke 111, then I'm keeping the Kingpin. Love the Pin, but a new Scout with the 111 would sway me in a heartbeat. I would probably look at the new water-cooled Vics quicker than a water-cooled Scout (but then I haven't seen the Scout yet.... wink, wink...).
A scout with the 111ci was what I was hoping for too. Oh well...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, so the indian and victory "variants" of that engine will differ in intake, cam and exhaust design, so that you get that unique character from each. But I'm still not buying that polaris will build an entirely new engine of the same displacement just to be different. It doesn't make any financial sense.
After the 111 Thunderbeast came out resembling nothing of the 106 Freedom engine, I think there is zero doubt that the Scout will have its own power plant.
A smaller water cooled motor with more power than the 111 would make sense. I imagine it would compete with the V-Rod and hold the horsepower flag for Indian.

·
Registered
566 Posts
After the 111 Thunderbeast came out resembling nothing of the 106 Freedom engine, I think there is zero doubt that the Scout will have its own power plant.

A smaller water cooled motor with more power than the 111 would make sense. I imagine it would compete with the V-Rod and hold the horsepower flag for Indian.
There's no way, but ok, on the 1200cc engine we just don't know for sure at the moment.

Indian is the classic american motorcycle brand, Victory will carry the modern motorcycle theme. With that in mind I can't imgine the scout being aimed at the vrod (the modern muscle machine). It is more likely that the Victory version of the 1200cc bike fills that role. Or at least I hope, wish and pray, cuz I'll get one. The scout stays classic in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts