Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got about 3700 miles on my new XC, and am loving it! The only issue I can find is my brake (and shifter) pedals look like crap! it's almost like waterspots that I can't get off, and really dull looking. Has anyone else had issues with this? I've tried searching the forums for similar issues, but can''t find anything. Leaving for Sturgis Friday morning and would like to polish this up some if I could. I should try and put a picture on here to show you all how crappy that looks next to all the shiny chrome...

·
Registered
372 Posts
So I've got about 3700 miles on my new XC, and am loving it! The only issue I can find is my brake (and shifter) pedals look like crap! it's almost like waterspots that I can't get off, and really dull looking. Has anyone else had issues with this? I've tried searching the forums for similar issues, but can''t find anything. Leaving for Sturgis Friday morning and would like to polish this up some if I could. I should try and put a picture on here to show you all how crappy that looks next to all the shiny chrome...
Speedy Metal Polish is great stuff. Not only polishes but also removes stains like water spots and the black junk on exhaust tips. Try some!

https://www.speedymetalpolish.com/

If you have aluminum you can use this stuff to polish it up like chrome. If you have chrome it cleans and polishes it up too.

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But to me, it looks like it's under a clearcoat. Never really noticed it until yesterday when I was in the sun and polishing everything. Sticks out like a sore thumb!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have you tried any type of metal polish on it? If not, give that a shot. Sometimes it isn't a matter of scrubbing hard, it is chemistry that is the solution (see what I did there?).

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried any type of metal polish on it? If not, give that a shot. Sometimes it isn't a matter of scrubbing hard, it is chemistry that is the solution (see what I did there?).

Rob
Ha-ha yes, chemistry, solution...(had to have my wife explain it to me) :ltr: I'll give that a try though. It's been clean since I got it, but who knows what happened... Just wanted to try to fix it or I'm gonna have to order one of them fancy type ones from witchdoctor...

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
That there is oxidizing metal... It has been exposed to some thing with a high or low ph. Or it has been exposed to Chlorides. A good polish such as autosol will fix it right up.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
My shifters don't look as bad as yours but still have tons of "spots" on them that I can not get off. My handlebar leavers are just as bad. I've tried every metal polish I could get hold of with no luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Simichrome Polish

Check out this product. Ive used it for years in my trade. I am a journeyman mold maker and this stuff works wonders on uncoated metals of all types. The only thing more impressive is diamond compound.
They also have a motorsports line that claims will help remove blueing from exhaust pipes.
Brasso is another decent product that is readily available.
http://www.simichromepolish.com

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The aluminum is NOT clear coated, so you have to be careful with what chemicals come in contact. I have seen some Spray on Spray off bike cleaners (and wheel cleaners) do what I see in your lever. There are a BUNCH of metal polishes out there (I have about 5), and they all have the pros and cons. Give one, or many, a try and the use some kind of sealant to protect the raw metal.
My current fav has a sealant in it and seems to make the metal stay shinier longer
https://captainrichardsbest.com/index.php/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=6

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought the wizards polish. Looks like cotton candy. (It's the best product out local auto store had). Cleared it right up! Thanks for the input though. Now I'm ready for Sturgis!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought the wizards polish. Looks like cotton candy. (It's the best product out local auto store had). Cleared it right up! Thanks for the input though. Now I'm ready for Sturgis!
I had the same issue. Went and bought a small jar of Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and it looks like a whole new shifter. Glad it wasn't anything serious!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2011 doesn't look that bad. Definitely something corrosive to aluminum at work. Just to throw another metal polish into the works - Victory Metal Polish! I won a bottle the other night at bike night and it is awesome stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts