Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2015 gunner 1800 miles. I noticed yesterday when I started it up and ran it 5 minutes the exhaust tubes coming out of the heads get a low orange glow. Rev to 2500 for 2 minutes and the GLOW . Is this normal for stock? Runs fine all kinds of power. No engine misses. I only run 93 octane

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Stop using 93 use the lowest octane fuel available until you have engine mods and a tune.

For now unplug your 02 sensors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks, I don't normally free Rev one but when I seen the pipes turning I wanted to see of it was just idle related.
As for the 93, that's what I read as recommended

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ok thanks, I don't normally free Rev one but when I seen the pipes turning I wanted to see of it was just idle related.
As for the 93, that's what I read as recommended
Actually they recommend; 91 octane, But i use 93 because 93 is easier to find... The next step down here is 89.. People that say use 87 are trying to convince themselves that 87 is right 'By convincing others to use 87 ......:wink

·
Registered
207 Posts
Normal....and don't hold your unloaded stationary engine at 2500.
...Kevinx, Just like to get your take on the octane to use on the later models. I know 87 runs fine in my 04 but the newer engines have higher compression ,correct? Would the octane have an effect on popping and backfire between up shifts ?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Actually they recommend; 91 octane, But i use 93 because 93 is easier to find... The next step down here is 89.. People that say use 87 are trying to convince themselves that 87 is right 'By convincing others to use 87 ......:wink
No.....Some of us understand what octane is and does. We understand the octane is essentially a measurement of a fuels ability to RESIST COMBUSTION. Meaning that running higher then needed octane in a given situation. Results in excess unburnt hydrocarbons, and lower performance. The hydrocarbons manifest in deposits on the piston crown, and backs of the exhaust valves.

The octane rating given is for the dumbest person; in the worst situation. Do you really think the requirements in the mountains of Colorado, the beaches of Florida, and the desserts of Death Valley are the same?? No they are not. However since they know that mechanical acuity is not a requirement for motorcycle ownership; Victory dumbed it down.
For the best performance, and operation. You should run the lowest octane you can, and not expieriance ping. That said.....If you do not know what you are listening for, or are unsure of your abilities. Then run premium.

While you are running that stuff. Bear this in mind. Ethanol is used to increase the octane in fuels. The higher the octane; the higher the ethanol content.

·
Registered
207 Posts
.. Does pinging in a bike sound similar to pinging in a car motor?? Seems harder to tell on a bike because of the inhierant noises from the motor and tranny being combined.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
.. Does pinging in a bike sound similar to pinging in a car motor?? Seems harder to tell on a bike because of the inhierant noises from the motor and tranny being combined.
Yes it does sound the same, but louder pipes along with wind noise can mask it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts