Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have searched but could not quite find what I was looking for. Looking for new tires for a 2015 Magnum and am having difficulty. I know the Dunlop Elite 3 is available but I do not like these tires at all. The issue is I cannot find a radial tire for front and back. However, I can find Bias Ply's for front and back but don't know too much about Bias tires. Is anyone out there running Bias tires front and back on their Magnums. Is so, how are they holding up and have you noticed any differences?

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,083 Posts
E3 shouldn't be available now should only be E4 which seems better from threads I've read.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but can’t do Dunlops. I really want to do Metzlers but am open to any brand other that Dunlop. My main focus is the bias ply tire vs radial. Will the Bias tire front/back be ok?

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,083 Posts
I've always read not to mix them and to use the same type the bike was born with for best results. Radial tires from factory replace with other radials etc.

Avon gets high reviews on here too supposed to be grippy with a little less miles out of them. No idea if those are bias or radial.

Metzeler had on my Honda. Very HARD tire. Even new. Not a fan of how they ride.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've been running Michelin commander II's bias ply tires for the last 50k miles. Bias tires feel a little "harder" than radials but other than that I will continue to use them as I get 20k miles on both tires.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Let me rephrase the question. Has anyone used bias tires front/back on a Magnum. I ask this because Magnum has 21” on front and 16” on the back.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I put Bridgestone Battlecruise H50's on my KP last year and for handling they are great. I had Dunlop Elite 2 on the bike prior so even Fred Flintstone could suggest something better. I only have a couple of thousand miles on them so can't offer any comments about longevity. I also don't know it they have the exact size you need but take a look.

·
13,303 Posts
I thought the E3 was discounted 2years ago. Some dealers still have old stock and now you use the new E4

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a 2013 XC with the full upgraded 21" package (rim, fender, forks, rear shock and linkage) so it is essentially a Magnum. I had the same issue as you with regard to tire choices. I wore out the original E3s and then went to the E4s (which I wore out.) Mileage was great but the performance was not so great. I just got new tires a few months ago and went with Avon Cobra Chrome (they are bias ply.) So far I like them but I don't have many miles on them so I will stop short of recommending them. I've also heard good things about the Pirelli Night Dragon tires in general, but I don't know if they have the sizes you need or if they are radial or bias.

Here is a good and short read on the things to consider for bias vs. radial:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run Metzler's bias ply's on my Vegas 8 Ball & love them !! They may wear out a little sooner but they stick really great !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have searched but could not quite find what I was looking for. Looking for new tires for a 2015 Magnum and am having difficulty. I know the Dunlop Elite 3 is available but I do not like these tires at all. The issue is I cannot find a radial tire for front and back. However, I can find Bias Ply's for front and back but don't know too much about Bias tires. Is anyone out there running Bias tires front and back on their Magnums. Is so, how are they holding up and have you noticed any differences?
I bought the Avon Cobra's for my Magnum. Radial rear , bias front, it handles a lot better than the Dunlop's did, only have about 800 miles on them so far so I'm not sure about the wear yet but the handling is vastly improved.

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Bias tires are a smoother ride and most have better sticking power from my experiences. Put radials are stronger and have a better weight rating than bias. Radials have a longer tread life, But on E-3's and E-4's. I do get some slipping at times generally a low speed coming out of driveways on to the street. Turning hard and accelerating coming out in traffic.

·
Registered
327 Posts
12 CCT - Went from E3's to Bias Harley Davidson Dunlop in the rear. Handled OK but very firm ride with Bias Ply sidewall. I picked up a nail first week and plugged ran another 1000 miles. NOW on rear is Radial Cobra - Much nicer feel and softer ride with great handling. When front wears out will add another Cobra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts