Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for some smoke to come out where the flange is with new exhaust just installed? Bassani exhaust. I didnt crank down the flanges that hard but good enuf. I saw a pic where they had to heat up the bolts and nut and the flange was bent because they tightened too much. After the bike warmed up, i hit the bolts again but not excessive.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,640 Posts
Nothing should be coming out of there.

You did replace the exhaust gaskets?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
While it is possible that there was no old gasket in the holes, it is also possible that the old gaskets were so crushed as to be difficult to distinguish from the surrounding metal. This is a relatively common issue. If you do take it apart again, probe the surface where the old gaskets would be to be absolutely certain there is not a crushed gasket present in the bottom of the "hole".

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have never seen a new set of exhausts that came with the gaskets already in it. You have to get them separately. When you take an old set of exhaust headers off, the exhaust gasket almost always stays in and they are hard to see and sometimes hard to get out. You need a flashlight and a pick of some kind to locate them and pull them out. There are a couple of different kinds of exhausts gaskets available for the Vic, one a crush kind, and another kind that is soft. You can find these gaskets at Witchdoctors. They are expensive but well worth it if they do not leak.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I do not think new exhausts could have the gaskets "in it". There is no "in" place on the exhaust pipes to put the gaskets. The gaskets would have to sit on the open end of the pipe that inserts into the exhaust port and they would not stay there. So as you say, the gaskets come separate and are inserted into the exhaust port.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,640 Posts
There were none. Just held in with the clamp. Pipe goes in hole.
Gaskets ARE there. Once crushed and covered with carbon build up they can be hard to see.
They must be replaced to ensure you do not have any exhaust leaks which can cause the motor to run lean among other issues.
Having something visible around heads when you started the bike implies that there is an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I swapped my stock set out for x-bows and didn't replace any gaskets either. Looks like I lucked out. IF it is leaking you neeed to get gaskets. I got some for mine but the pipes are a pain to take back off.....I'd recommend getting some, they're cheap and will top the leak. ;-) LMYR......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts