Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is getting hot here in the northwest I've noticed that my 2016 seems to be running quite a bit hotter than my 2012 did. I've done nothing to her mechanically other than install the Witch Doctors muscle car exhaust.

I did see that someone on the Facebook Victory Owners page recommended that the O2 sensor be unplugged, the black wire removed from it and than it reinstalled. He said that would let in more fuel and cause the bike to run cooler. I really don't know that much about the bike. Is he correct? What else can I do to cool her down?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Now that the weather is getting hot here in the northwest I've noticed that my 2016 seems to be running quite a bit hotter than my 2012 did. I've done nothing to her mechanically other than install the Witch Doctors muscle car exhaust.

I did see that someone on the Facebook Victory Owners page recommended that the O2 sensor be unplugged, the black wire removed from it and than it reinstalled. He said that would let in more fuel and cause the bike to run cooler. I really don't know that much about the bike. Is he correct? What else can I do to cool her down?
well on my 2013 i removed theo 2 sensors , had it dynoed, put a PCV on it and had 1" gas tank Spacers put on. My bike definitely runs cooler

·
13,033 Posts
Keep in mind your sitting on a oven. So we're getting into the hotter months now. So stay out of stop and go traffic. Take your lowers off. Now you'll have a new look to your bike for a few months. Now come fall put them back on and have a new look. Not that hard of a job.
Unhooking the 02's will lower the temp but not enough to give you that comfortable feeling. It still will be hot.

·
13,033 Posts
That might only change it at best 10 degrees. Your on a oven and its not going to get cooler till you get off it

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
If it is an XCT....remove Hard Lowers for Summer.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I've removed my lowers in favor of forged bars and I AIN'T GOIN' BACK! :D :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Av Gas. But you have to get it by the can as no road tax is paid. It is 110 low lead by name. It will run a bit cooler, but ECM is set to monitor eng/oil temp and run certain setting for emissions. Until you by pas or fiddle with the PCM/ECM it freakin hot.

·
13,033 Posts
High octane or race gas only makes the motor run hotter.
Come on don't give bad advice

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
High octane or race gas only makes the motor run hotter.
Come on don't give bad advice
Its already supposed to be running 91 octane. So if that's true running 87 should make it run cooler?

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Av Gas. But you have to get it by the can as no road tax is paid. It is 110 low lead by name. It will run a bit cooler, but ECM is set to monitor eng/oil temp and run certain setting for emissions. Until you by pas or fiddle with the PCM/ECM it freakin hot.
Running avgas in our compression is gonna leave carbon from the Octane, but if it's available blending a percentage in would be nice.
Removing the lowers then maybe a fuel controller.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just taking the lowers off would more than likely fix the whole heat issue. Kind of funny how if you crack them about 1/3 to 1/2 way open you better cooling than wide open.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just taking the lowers off would more than likely fix the whole heat issue. Kind of funny how if you crack them about 1/3 to 1/2 way open you better cooling than wide open.
I don't intend to remove the lowers and am nervous about disconnecting the O2 sensors so I'll live with the heat. Maybe I'll buy a set of firefighters pants. I have adjusted the lower louvers and it does seem to help.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yea the 16 you dont want to discon the O2 sensors as it will set a light. The ECM is set up different than the earlier models. Disconnecting the O2 sensors allows the ECM to richen up the fuel mixture a little which will let it be a little cooler running. Enough your going to notice? I highly doubt it.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Yea the 16 you dont want to discon the O2 sensors as it will set a light. The ECM is set up different than the earlier models. Disconnecting the O2 sensors allows the ECM to richen up the fuel mixture a little which will let it be a little cooler running. Enough your going to notice? I highly doubt it.
Ok on the newer vics disconnected cannot, but I read that the newer models have 3 wires O2 censors now, so others have just disconnected the heater wire, so it stays in open loop.... This info I read on "theothervog"

It is easy to find this info and it would help the OP to read up on this subject ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
O2 sensor

Ok on the newer vics disconnected cannot, but I read that the newer models have 3 wires O2 censors now, so others have just disconnected the heater wire, so it stays in open loop.... This info I read on "theothervog"

It is easy to find this info and it would help the OP to read up on this subject ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk
The 2016 and 2017 have a four wire O2 sensor ( I checked mine). Two are a resistor (white wires) and two (gray and black) are the actual O2 sensor. If you want to disable the O2 without getting the error code you just cut the black wire. Or you buy a dongle that you plug into the wiring harness when you disconnect the O2 sensor in total. In either case you don't get the error code. The dongles are selling for $40 each.

I'm not gonna do either, at least for now.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I don't intend to remove the lowers and am nervous about disconnecting the O2 sensors so I'll live with the heat. Maybe I'll buy a set of firefighters pants. I have adjusted the lower louvers and it does seem to help.
Fire-fighters pants? Water cooled?
I wear kevlar inner lined jeans or leather pants depending on weather and how hard I intend riding.
We are sitting astride an internal combustion engine with huge explosions happening inside at 2000-6000 times a minute!
Add the EPA tuning designed to heat the cats right up to burn off all those naughty noxious fumes the greenie are so worried about as they puff on a hashpipe, and without and fuelling adjustments you are sitting on a mobile heatwave.
At least my Vegas is in the wind not cloaked by any fairings lowers or otherwise.
Come to Australia in summer and you'll know all about heat, some days the road start to melt!
Though I imagine Arizona and Texas could get a bit hot too, didn't check whereabouts you are.
Best you can do if you don't wanna mess with the bike is insulate yourself.
My dyno man had a reflective silver leg thinnggy he made for dynotuning V Rods, evidently they chuck out real heat off the pipes on the dyno, he has a scar to prove it.
My mate Tommo got 3Rd degree burns inside his right calf riding his Canam Spyder on a really hot day last Summer.
Bloody fool was riding in shorts on a 40C day, the exhaust on a Spyder runs right past the leg and there's a thin bit of plastic to keep his leg away.
We rode out to Nimbin, that stinking hot day.
I shook my head when he turned up at my place in shorts, half hour later his legs were sunburnt, he put zinc cream on em and then fried his right leg good and proper!
Needed a skin graft and almost lost his leg!!!
Extreme 🔥 heat!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So if all that has to be done is remove the black wire from the system, couldnt a fellow use a pin tool or pick and push the pin for the black wire out and leave the O2 plugged. Instead of the $40 gizmo?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts