Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering what do you guys think of the new Gold Wing design?
The new Wing comes with two options.
One options is the good old manual clutch foot shifter.
The other is a automatic electronic clutch and shifter.
Any of you guys test rode one?

·
Super Moderator
4,987 Posts
I like the looks and have seen it in person, sharp bike.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
It got a much needed slimming down and much better handling. Obviously designed to attract a younger and slimmer clientele.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I haven't ridden it but I like what I've seen and read. Looks like it's well equipped but I'm concerned the limited foot positioning will be an issue. My Visions have me very spoiled.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I saw and sat on a new white Gold Wing at the dealer in Huntsville, AL recently. I was amazed at how small the bike looked in person. It wasn't that far from a leftover CCT they also had on the floor. If not for the engine design, I'd say it's more of a the replacement for the ST1300 that Honda axed a few years ago. At least that's about the size of the new Gold Wing.

If I were going that route I'd simply get another Honda Valkyrie Interstate. The biggest draw back to the Wings and Valkyrie's are your feet have very little room to move around. In my case my knees would hurt after a few hours. Highway pegs had my legs spread way too far apart.

Yup, the Victory Cross bikes are as comfortable as motorcycles get for anyone over about 5'8".

·
Registered
204 Posts
Funny you should mention the 'Wing. It was only about three weeks ago I finally got to take the Vic for that recall for the rear brake line re-routing. The dealer is about 200 miles from me and has Honda, Indian, Triumph and one or two others as well.

I was wandering around looking at bikes as you do, and the Wing really caught my eye. They've slimmed it down a lot and it looks very stylish. I didn't sit on it because I knew that would have resulted in a test ride, followed by a how much will ya gimme and you know the rest!

I was very impressed with the overall look of it though. Very clean design and smaller all over compared with the previous model. Definitely nowhere near the luggage carrying capacity of the XCT, but then again, what else has? That aside, I'd be looking closely at the new Wing if I was thinking about a replacement. About AUD $45k retail on the auto trans one here though, so not cheap.

Russ.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My local dealer has 2 on the floor right now and I think both are manuals. The new wing is very sharp but when I sat on it I felt very cramped, spoiled to those two big surfboards on my XR.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
From an ergonomic standpoint the new Yamaha may be about as close to comfort as you can get to a Victory Cross bike. But at the price of new one, a used Cross bike would beat it every time. From an aesthetic point of view and a cost/benefit analysis, again, the Cross bikes come out ahead. Far, far ahead in my book.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
2018 Gold Wing

My son had a 2012 Gold Wing and loved it but he is short legged and the heavy bike was a little bit of a problem for him but he put a LOT of miles on it before he traded (42,000) ..... Now he has a 2018 Gold Wing and likes it even better. I think it sits a little lower also..It's 100 pounds lighter and he says it handles better than the other one and has the Automatic Transmission that he likes too. . It has several modes for different riding and the sport mode for riding the curves, he loves. To each his own but I can't blame the boy. I raised him riding Honda's. :grin

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
TRUE Davet that 42,000 miles isn't much but when that boy gets a hankering for a new car or motorcycle ...mileage doesn't come into the play. he just goes and gets it. Kinda like his ole man. I bought my Vic CCT when the wife was gone for a few days so she didn't know... :grin

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
One of the fellas I ride with at Americade just bought a 2018 Goldwing after having 2 Ultra Classics since 2007. My 2002 Goldwing was comfy if you didn't want to move your feet. I haven't yet sat on the new Wing.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Doesn't the Wing come with highway pegs??

The 2002 did not. And, the engine was so wide that by the time you got time with aftermarket pegs, you’re so spread eagle you might as well be riding a horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm 6'4 and sat on one in January and it was very cramped. My knees were literally almost touching the front fairing and there was no room to move around. Sad to say I could never own one given the comfort of my Vision I could not go away from the space I have.

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
I'm 6'4 and sat on one in January and it was very cramped. My knees were literally almost touching the front fairing and there was no room to move around. Sad to say I could never own one given the comfort of my Vision I could not go away from the space I have.
Just imagine if you sit on a steel frame vic, you can stretch the controls so far that your legs would almost be straight ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts