Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few online discussions around some photos of what's said to be the 2019 Polaris Indian Chieftain. The saddlebags look more Harleyesque and squared off generic compared to the original Polaris Indian saddlebags. They have a one piece hinge like the Victory used. Plus the Polaris Indian fairing seems to have been made less polarizing as well. It's a hoot reading what some of the Polaris Indian owners have posted in their forums. They all start out mostly hating these changes then it quickly morphs into a Harley/Street Glide/clone debate.

If the photos are correct, it seems Polaris Indian went from copying decades old Indian design cues to copying current H-D design cues.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
From the photos I saw, it appears as though the "futuristic" styling of the Victory bikes is coming through. YMMV

Can't say I don't like it...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It does look similiar to a HD Street Glide! I thought it was funny when I googled Indian Chieftan to find the photos the first thing that popped up was the link to the Indian site and it said "Followers Need Not Apply", kind of funny I thought. Makes me glad I took the leap and bought a brand I had even heard of in 2012 and got my XR. Sucks Polaris dropped the brand but IMO there is nothing better out there.

·
Premium Member
13,313 Posts
Looks pretty much the same to me but I don't have a discerning Polaris Indian eye.

This does look more Harleyeque. I don't like the lack of front end rake angle. Looks too squished in to my non discerning eye.

Your mileage may vary...

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Indian Motorcycle Introduces Selective Cylinder De-ActivationIndian Motorcycle has introduced rear cylinder de-activation when the engine is idling, on certain 2019 models.

By*CarAndBike Team*on*Sep 04, 2018 03:21 PM

Certain models of the 2019 Indian Motorcycle range will have a rear cylinder deactivation system

HighlightsThe rear cylinder is shut off when the bike is at a standstillThe cylinder is turned on and full power is available with throttle inputRide-by-wire oiffers three riding modes - Tour, Sport and Standard

Indian Motorcycle*has introduced new changes to certain models in the 2019 year range. The new*Indian Chief,*Springfield, and*Roadmaster*cruisers all feature a new cylinder de-activation system that turns off the rear cylinder when the bike is at a standstill. The idea is that when the rear cylinder is de-activated and shut down, the rider will not feel the heat from the cylinder closest to his legs, particularly in hot weather, or when the bike is at a standstill, like at a stop light. The v-twin Thunder Stroke motor turns the cylinder back on as soon as the rider opens the throttle, for smooth acceleration from standstill.

(The 2019 Indian Springfield and Roadmaster feature a new dash and the addition of ride-by-wire and three riding modes)

The bigger Indian models now have three selectable Ride Modes which can be switched on the fly. The three modes are Tour, Standard, or Sport, with each mode having individual throttle maps. Tour is softer with throttle response dialled down low and suitable for highway use. Sport is crisp and features a sharp and aggressive throttle response, while Standard sits between the other two. Also new is a customisable touch screen infotainment system, and new details, with the lower fairings on the 2019 Roadmaster re-designed to improve airflow to the rider as well. The revised sound system is also new, and the tweeters have been separated from the mid-range speakers for more sound clarity. A dynamic equalizer has also been added which is fully customisable, and it automatically adjusts volume at different vehicle speeds to keep sound quality consistent.

(The 2019 Indian Roadmaster has adjustable lower fairings for better airflow)

The biggest change is of course, the rear cylinder de-activation which is designed to lower engine heat at low speeds or in stop-start situations in traffic. When the engine reaches operating temperature and the ambient temperature exceeds 15 degrees Celsius, the rear cylinder will automatically deactivate when the bike is at a standstill, letting the front cylinder keep the motor running. A little throttle input will fire the rear cylinder with full power at the rider's disposal. Expect Indian Motorcycle to introduce the new models in India as well, in a few months from now.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/indian-motorcycle-introduces-selective-cylinder-de-activation-1911089

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think you are looking at a customized bike, I don't think that is what the new Indian is going to look like.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,313 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Starting price for the base 2019 Chieftain is $21,999. More reasonable than I expected. Looks like the Roadmaster is unchanged.

·
13,043 Posts
with less rake they can corner faster.
HD started shutting off rear cylinder back in 10 I believe.
Now you can have 3 different riding modes didn't they copy BMW with this idea.
Looking at the dash doesn't fit me I like seeing the gauges not the tv screen.
Indian is trying to change to bad they never did that with the Vic's.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was at the Charlotte, NC Polaris Indian dealer today with my CCT. They had a matte white 2019 Chieftain. Most of the comments from everyone were very negative. They hated the missing Polaris Indian tail light that was replaced by a near clone of an H-D unit. The bottom part of the saddlebag actually has a bit of a Victory angle to it when looking at it from the back. It's also much larger than the Chieftain Classic saddlebag and it incorporates a nice lid tether. But the flat saddlebag top is a real downer. Why oh why didn't they simply use a saddlebag cover similar to the current Chieftain model that follows the contour of the rear fender? They intentionally removed the design cues they have on the Chieftain Classic and made it Harleyesque/generic. They also hated the fairing. I see their point in that love it or hate it, the original Chieftain fairing had integrated turn signals and driving lights. At least it was a unique item and unmistakable for a Polaris Indian with it's art deco freight train front headlight bezel. Is it just me or does the new Chieftain fairing look like the back of an old television? It has an unmistakable protruding square design with a round headlight in the center.

It's also a shame they copied the Harley mail slot for a fairing air vent. They could have done it so many different ways instead of just copying what Harley has already done. They even removed the nice foot brake pad for a simple peg.

Fortunately for current Polaris Chieftain owners already have theirs and they can still get the original design in all but the Chieftain model for 2019. The Chieftain Classic, Springfield and RoadMaster etc all have the original saddlebags and fairing. Nothing much new but paint. Where have we seen this play out before?

But in reality, Polaris didn't design this one for their current owners. They designed it, I think, in an effort to make it easier for current H-D owners to make the switch to a Polaris Indian. It now looks very similar so it's up to engine performance, ownership experience, dealership networking etc etc etc. They had a couple of used H-D Street Glides on the floor and yes, they do look fairly similar now.

Of all the changes from the 2018 Chieftain to the 2019 version, the only thing I thought was an improvement was the saddlebag lower section. The rest just seems like Polaris through in the towel and copied H-D. I also heard that Polaris will no longer allow your warranty to remain in effect if you install aftermarket parts like an air cleaner, mufflers etc. Polaris Indian Stage items or you void your warranty.

Rumor has it Polaris will have a CCT version in the Indian line within a year or so. Who knows, my CCT is running better than ever so I'm not in their demographic anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,313 Posts
But in reality, Polaris didn't design this one for their current owners. They designed it, I think, in an effort to make it easier for current H-D owners to make the switch to a Polaris Indian. It now looks very similar so it's up to engine performance, ownership experience, dealership networking etc etc etc. They had a couple of used H-D Street Glides on the floor and yes, they do look fairly similar now.
Well said. All of it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Polaris is in this to make money and they are looking to coral some of HD's sheep into their stable. The "lifestyle" riders spend more on clothes and shiny things than they do on their bikes and that is what Polaris is hoping for and for a business who would blame them. I put a bunch of miles on my bike over the long weekend and saw a bunch of bikes out but the best was the "indian" club I ran into over near Mt. Mitchel NC. There was about a dozen of them, all in their late 50's early 60's and every single one of them had Polaris Indian shirts, jackets, helmets, etc. They were really into the "lifestyle", kind of felt sorry for them.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
with less rake they can corner faster.
HD started shutting off rear cylinder back in 10 I believe.
Now you can have 3 different riding modes didn't they copy BMW with this idea.
Looking at the dash doesn't fit me I like seeing the gauges not the tv screen.
Indian is trying to change to bad they never did that with the Vic's.
My '09 Ultra had that and you could also twist the throttle forward and that would disable the rear cylinder. Throttle by wire.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In this case, what's old is new again. Maybe soon they'll either water cool the whole engine or at least the heads.

·
13,043 Posts
I like what you said Mark. I did laugh when the Indian motor came out and a bunch laugh at it cause it was a pushrod motor. I guess they have forgotten about that. I have only look at the indian very little but I have seen where they have refined some of their old victory rough edge and made them smooth and sleek.
I think this indian will outlast all the previous ones

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like what you said Mark. I did laugh when the Indian motor came out and a bunch laugh at it cause it was a pushrod motor. I guess they have forgotten about that. I have only look at the indian very little but I have seen where they have refined some of their old victory rough edge and made them smooth and sleek.
I think this indian will outlast all the previous ones
I believe you are correct in that this new design will last. Though I suspect someone, maybe even Polaris, will come out with a curved top accessory for the saddlebags. Many current H-D owners I know like the new look. By what I read online, most of the current Polaris Indian owners are mad as can be and feel somehow betrayed by Polaris! Reading the posts on the Indian forums is almost laughable. Too many of these guys are simply fit to be tied. They just don't get it, the old design is still available for them while the new updated (H-D look a like) design is an effort to try and capture new H-D people. Many of the Polaris Indian owners complain ad nauseous about H-D attitude while displaying more of an attitude than any H-D owner I know. These Polaris Indian owners need to get a hold of themselves and at least be glad they have a new model. I know I'm not the only CCT owner who was looking forward to buying an updated version of the CCT from Victory.

IMHO, we shall see the artist rendering of the future CC/CCT that was posted come out as a Polaris Indian. I love the looks of that future Victory and would likely be the first on my street to want to purchase one. I really need to figure out how to post a picture on this forum.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I doubt they would go for an Indian CCT anytime soon when so many are still sitting unsold at dealers. I loved the look of the one here local but not loving that they still have a high price on a "new" 2016. Happy with my used purchase.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts