Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
23" or 26" front wheel that is the question?

I just ordered the vicbaggers triple trees to start collecting my parts for the front end but am torn between a 23" or 26" wheel. The 26" looks like it cost about $2k more +/- a few dollars but looks sweet. And then I think of the other options I could use that for if I did a 23" wheel instead(hard lowers, speaker lids, etc...). What are the pros and cons for one versus the other? Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,263 Posts
Not knowing if you have abs. You would need a new ring new fender kickstand and the higher you go the shity your ride will get. Your cornering will change and your exhaust can drag.
You'll become a profiler and not a rider
stick a 2 1/2" board under your tire and see what you think. Put a board under kickstand if you do

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
23" or 26" front wheel that is the question?

stick a 2 1/2" board under your tire and see what you think. Put a board under kickstand if you do

This will give me the riding stance of the bike for the 23" I'm guessing which I think I'm leaning more towards just bc I can do other things with the cost difference for the bike.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have a 23" and have ridden HARD in the mountains. It handles GREAT! The ride is no different, but the turning radius is bigger. It just takes a little getting used to (slamming the BACK end, is another story).
Check out my Dragon thread/review
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=90586&highlight=23+tail+of+the+dragon
I think if you are wanting to ride/tour on it, go 23". If you want a show bike go 26". The XC stands out so much in a sea of HDs that the ridiculous big wheels aren't necessary. The 23" I have gets a TON of attention (all positive, at least to my face).

·
Registered
427 Posts
There is no way a bigger front wheel improves the handleing of the bike. You can profile, but lose real world rideability.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Not knowing if you have abs. You would need a new ring new fender kickstand and the higher you go the shity your ride will get. Your cornering will change and your exhaust can drag.
You'll become a profiler and not a rider
So not true. How many people do you know with big wheels? None I'll bet. There are guys who ride 1000's of miles with big wheels and guys with stock bike who barely ride. My 23 handles great. Slight learning curve just like anything else. I'm sure you don't like choppers too. Each to their but don't talk to something you gave no personal experience with. I can't wait for my 26. Should have skipped the 23"

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't wait for my 26. Should have skipped the 23"

See that's what I'm worried about. I don't want to wish I had just went 26" from the gate. I know I'll ride the hell out of it no matter what size wheel is on it. But I have also seen a few 26"s that the fairing just doesn't look right. Like it's too far away or sits too high and a lot of the pics of 26" bikes are slammed with an air ride so it's hard to tell what the front end looks like in a riding stance. So I don't want something that looks ridiculous. I have seen a 23" bike in the same color as mine and it was impressive. But I have yet to see a 26" in person that's what makes it difficult bc things don't always look as good in person as they do in pics

·
Registered
427 Posts
If big front wheels improved handling, all the manufacturers would be competeing for the biggest. Flat roads may be fine. Try Hurricane Mountain Road in NH with a big wheel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not looking for improved handling it's more for just overall look of the bike. I understand handling will be affected but I'm used to it. My other bike I ride has a big back tire and is slammed.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I have a 23" and have ridden HARD in the mountains. It handles GREAT! The ride is no different, but the turning radius is bigger. It just takes a little getting used to (slamming the BACK end, is another story).
Check out my Dragon thread/review
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=90586&highlight=23+tail+of+the+dragon
I think if you are wanting to ride/tour on it, go 23". If you want a show bike go 26". The XC stands out so much in a sea of HDs that the ridiculous big wheels aren't necessary. The 23" I have gets a TON of attention (all positive, at least to my face).
Yep totally agree thumb up

·
Registered
6 Posts
So not true. How many people do you know with big wheels? None I'll bet. There are guys who ride 1000's of miles with big wheels and guys with stock bike who barely ride. My 23 handles great. Slight learning curve just like anything else. I'm sure you don't like choppers too. Each to their but don't talk to something you gave no personal experience with. I can't wait for my 26. Should have skipped the 23"

this 100% ^^^^ I'm so glad i went with the 26 inch. go see my first post (with pictures)(actually, this thread is what made me make my first post, so i could reply to these false statements about the big wheel being ill handleing) it explains my decision making. i was worried the same as you. it rides so nice. of course the steering isn't as light as stock....but it's not enough of a difference to outway how INSANELY AWESOME it looks with a 26. i read and read and read some more before i made my decision. kept coming up on these same post from people with zero experience on big wheels shitting all over the whole idea just because it's different. bottom line........it's your money, your bike. do what you want and what you feel will make you happy. you'll be the one riding it.

p.s. ive been in the twisties with a GSXR 600, GSXR 1000, BMW Rockster and my dad's goldwing and his harley electra glide. i wouldnt hesitate one second to take my Cross Country with the 26. of course you're not going to be dragging knee...but thats not why you're attracted to that set up anyway, now is it? :D cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also have the 26' front wheel kit from Vic Baggers and I love it, the cornering is a bit different but you will get use to it. The ride is just as smoothe as the stock wheel, and I didn't have todo anything to my kickstand. The stock one works fine and you don't have to put a board under it. I bought a set of the Arlen Ness modular apes and that gave me better control with the cornering.ive done long out of state trips in the rain and haven't had any problems.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Why don't you guys with the big wheels post up some pictures... Pretty hard for him to decide without visual help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 21" kit and the bike is solid, turning radiuses are tight and stable.

The larger wheels need bigger turning radiuses have sloppier handling a lower speeds. Not a big deal when traveling straight or on winding roads. There are many who say this is a rock solid modification.

I do most of my driving in the city with lots of cars and obstacles. A 23" package would be my max for those conditions, but a 21" is definitely a better fit for my traffic.

IMO though I would think that with all the motorcycle manufactures out there, racing, cruiser, touring, bagger; somebody would offer a factory 26" kit; could it be they know something about handling?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I have a 21" kit and the bike is solid, turning radiuses are tight and stable.

The larger wheels need bigger turning radiuses have sloppier handling a lower speeds. Not a big deal when traveling straight or on winding roads. There are many who say this is a rock solid modification.

I do most of my driving in the city with lots of cars and obstacles. A 23" package would be my max for those conditions, but a 21" is definitely a better fit for my traffic.

IMO though I would think that with all the motorcycle manufactures out there, racing, cruiser, touring, bagger; somebody would offer a factory 26" kit; could it be they know something about handling?

You see any cars coming out of Detroit with 26" wheels on them? With that low profile rubber on a 26" mc wheel and the fact you drag your ass end over everything... The factory isn't not doing it for the handling they are not doing cause it would be a warranty nightmare. It takes special riders to ride heavily modded machines. I am low rider guy for 20 years so I understand angles for approaching bumps and going up curbs. If you buy a bike from the factory that's all "done up" already there is probably a good chance your not that experienced. Now that wouldn't be the case for everyone they sold but for the large majority it would be. I personally think the Magnum is cool but I much prefer the 21" wheeled XC I built over what the factory put out.... I didn't use any cheap parts, there isn't going to be one that looks like mine at a stop light beside me ever.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You see any cars coming out of Detroit with 26" wheels on them? With that low profile rubber on a 26" mc wheel and the fact you drag your ass end over everything... The factory isn't not doing it for the handling they are not doing cause it would be a warranty nightmare. It takes special riders to ride heavily modded machines. I am low rider guy for 20 years so I understand angles for approaching bumps and going up curbs. If you buy a bike from the factory that's all "done up" already there is probably a good chance your not that experienced. Now that wouldn't be the case for everyone they sold but for the large majority it would be. I personally think the Magnum is cool but I much prefer the 21" wheeled XC I built over what the factory put out.... I didn't use any cheap parts, there isn't going to be one that looks like mine at a stop light beside me ever.
I was talking about overall ride and bike maneuverability.
No matter the years on a bike every rider will have different abilities and experiences. Years of riding invariably improves riding ability and judgment, but it does not equate to all riders having the same skill sets.

Cars and motorcycles are two different to compare. Prudence and judgment go together and I believe motorcycle manufactures understand this. They understand that roads are not always straight and that the terrain changes quickly. The fact that they don't make these mods is testament to understanding that these modification can dramatically reduce maneuverability and put riders at increased risk overall.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I was talking about overall ride and bike maneuverability.

No matter the years on a bike every rider will have different abilities and experiences. Years of riding invariably improves riding ability and judgment, but it does not equate to all riders having the same skill sets.

Cars and motorcycles are two different to compare. Prudence and judgment go together and I believe motorcycle manufactures understand this. They understand that roads are not always straight and that the terrain changes quickly. The fact that they don't make these mods is testament to understanding that these modification can dramatically reduce maneuverability and put riders at increased risk overall.

I guarantee the reasoning behind them not making big wheel Baggers from the factory has very little to do with handling and everything to do with liability. If MC companies thought they could turn a profit with a 26" wheel bike on there showroom floor one would be there. However I am sure the risk outweighs the reward and that's why you don't see them. Your right cars and motorcycles are two different things but being a profitable business is the same no matter what you sell. Look at the HD Rocker C... It was supposed to go head to head with the Orange County chopper craze. It flopped and failed miserably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why don't you guys with the big wheels post up some pictures... Pretty hard for him to decide without visual help.
Need 10 characters. There.........:D

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
10 characters

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts