Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 23" Avon on the front of my Cross Country. Its got just over 6,000 miles on it, but its starting to cup bad in spots. Anyone else experiencing this or if not, how many miles do you have on your 23" avon?

Im getting mixed stories from the H-D guys, but trying to find out if it might be the combo of our wheels/rakes/suspension on these Cross Country bikes.

The 23" wheel is cool, but its not gonna work for me if I gotta put a new wheel on every 3 months or so.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
13,253 Posts
how often do you check the air in the tire? Do you use a good gage or one of those crappie pencil ones.

Am guessing the tire is for bar hoppers and shows so it might not give you good life.
What does Avon say.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how often do you check the air in the tire? Do you use a good gage or one of those crappie pencil ones.

Am guessing the tire is for bar hoppers and shows so it might not give you good life.
What does Avon say.
Air pressure is not the problem, its what is recommended and never changes. There is something else going on,.. either bad tire itself, or something with the suspension on the Cross Country causing it to wear like it is. I get half and half when asking Harley guys,.. some say 5-6k some say 8-10k.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
What are the hd guys running for air? It could be air and may not be, recommended psi isnt always right when the bike has been changed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Instead of worrying about the standard pressures try thinking of it this way. A larger diameter wheel will have an inherently larger contact patch than a smaller wheel. Now how much air did you use in the standard wheel and what does that imply in terms of contact patch size given the front wheel weight load? OK, so the new wheel must carry exactly that same amount of load so what does it take to make the new wheel have a similar sized contact patch, given that the tire will deflect less with a larger diameter to arrive at the same patch area. This should help you figure how low the air pressure will be to achieve the same patch area. That is your target pressure for the new larger wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts