Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics at the end :)

I have seen it posted, and been asked myself, many times about how the 23" front wheel with the raked trees affects handling. I have had it on for a few months and felt comfortable with it right away. I wanted to give it a true test, so week before last I took a road trip to the Tail and had a BLAST! I am an aggressive rider and love the twisties more than any part of MC riding. I was a bit apprehensive about getting the front end done, (for fear of ruining a great handling bike) but the wife said the "big wheels are sexy, you should do it". Well, who am I to argue....;)
The riding review....
Low speed it is a bit harder to move around (at parking lot speeds). It takes a bit more counterbalancing and full lock to complete u turns. Not a big deal.
When coming to a stop, I have noticed (and others have mentioned too) that the bike is somewhat tippy. I have found this less so with the big wheel. Happy with that.
At speed, it RAILS through turns. It has sharp, crisp, easily modulated, turn-in. It also holds the line very well. I was most concerned about losing the "flickabliity" of the bike (as much as an 800lb bike can be). I needn't have been concerned. Wonderfully light, communicative steering. As an added benefit, the ground clearance is improved by the raising of the axle line. I only scraped once in a decreasing radius left hander, that I didn't get my body weight shifted enough in time.
Straight line is still hands off the bars, dead true tracking. No change there.
Overall I would do this again in a minute! I LOVE the look (I'll admit I love attention it gets too). In most cases it handles as well as (in some cases even better) the stock bike.

Trip miles = 1435
Saddle time total for 4 days 33:15
Yup, it can still tour thumb up

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Great review, greater pics :)
My riding buds and I are trying to plan a trip to the Dragon for next year, hope we can make it happen.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Nice pix bro!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Good to read nan! So tired of people rippin on big wheels that they don't get ridin.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Sweet pics. Bike looks nice scraping those floorboards!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more luvmyride. "It rails through turns" is a very good description of the 23" front.

Great pics too.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Nice bro, tearing those curves up!!!!! Great pics, good looking scoot too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Which rake kit did you use? Also, did you install it yourself or a shop? And if you wouldn't mind, what was the TOTAL cost all said and done? i.e. rake kit, wheel/tire, rotors, fender, fender spacers, paint, etc.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Which rake kit did you use? Also, did you install it yourself or a shop? And if you wouldn't mind, what was the TOTAL cost all said and done? i.e. rake kit, wheel/tire, rotors, fender, fender spacers, paint, etc.
Yeah I would like to know too. Your review has me interested now.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ok question, where/how does everone get the pics of themselves on the tail of the dragon? is there a camera out there ? or does a friend take them?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
79 Posts
There's a camera out there. My buddy was there last year and he got pics when he came down the mountain. I'm sure one of theses guys who's actually ridden it has more info than my second hand knowledge...

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
There's a camera out there. My buddy was there last year and he got pics when he came down the mountain. I'm sure one of theses guys who's actually ridden it has more info than my second hand knowledge...
To my understanding there are photographers/camera's out there on certain curves. And they show you several different pics and offer to sale you the ones you pic.

Or you could bring along a friend and have them take pics too. I've personally never been there. But have seen the proof's offered to some riders.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I would like to know too. Your review has me interested now.
I have not put it all together (probably fear of the wife seeing how much that "sexy" cost).
I ordered everything from vicbaggers. The prices are on the website. Paid for the wheel first. Got the trees and fender at the same time a bit later. Had them do them do the install since they are only 30 miles from my house. I got a good rate on the labor so I had them do it in an afternoon (instead of a day or two if I did it).
It is not cheap, but It was sooo worth it to me. I know I will get a good bit of it back in resale (way down the road). It's an attention grabber, and still rides like a dream.

Professional photographers stationed at strategic places on the Dragon:

killboy.com & 129slayer.com
Yup, that's the ones. I have the 129slayer pics too, but liked killboy better. Anyone can look at all the images, anytime. If you are on the Tail, you look up what time/day you were there, and buy 'em if you like 'em.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great write up!
The pics really show the performance you are getting from the bike. I was wondering if vic baggers had to extend any cables?
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had some down time today and got the images on 129Slayer as well. They didn't chatch the "apex shot" as well as Killboy

Man, that was a great trip (minus getting caught in the rain 6 times...)!!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Question,

Is there a bike wash before you enter the dragon? Just curious how your bike is sparkling so nice for the pictures. :D

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Question,

Is there a bike wash before you enter the dragon? Just curious how your bike is sparkling so nice for the pictures. :D
No bugs in Tennessee.....:D

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
ok question, where/how does everone get the pics of themselves on the tail of the dragon? is there a camera out there ? or does a friend take them?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yep, as others have said, there are professional photographers that camp out at the few pull-offs on the Dragon (sometimes in conjuction with TN police, too). At the end of the day (or thereabouts) they post thumbnails on their sites, and you can download the full-size photos for about $6 a pop (there are assorted package deals). These guys make a living during riding and driving season this way.

I have a daughter & family in Asheville (two hours away), so whenever I visit with a new bike, I make sure to take a day off and ride the Dragon, to get pics of the new bike... plus, I like twisties, and getting to that area is half the fun.

When I went down in 2012 -- a month after I got my XCT -- Killboy (the most established of the group) was there, along with 129Slayer and Moonshine. You can see the three different shades of reds in their setups starting at www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/#63 in my gallery, i.e., I have a few pics from each of those guys in my gallery starting there (although I bought a lot more).

If you do the Dragon, I recommend that you get there around 10AM (which is about when the photographers get there) on a weekday. If you rode mid-day on a weekend, you'd have way too much company, won't get solo shots, etc. -- it can be a zoo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts