Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
No experience with that tyre, but just make sure when fitted the tyre has a nice profile. So NOT like the crap Dunlops that are flatish and then fall off to the sides.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
I have heard that the Night Dragons from Pirelli (240 on back) handle great on the Hammer due to the rounded profile of the rear tire.

I have the Night Dragons on my bike right now and they are sticky... but I haven't had them long enough to wear thru a set and give a full review. They are V/Z speed rated radials. The tread is much deeper than other tires of this type, so they should last pretty well.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_188_846&products_id=5858

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_188_846&products_id=5459

Michellin does not have a 130/70R-18 radial to match for the front... Pirelli does.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm using the Metz now .... It does have a rounder profile than the Dunny , which wears flat after some time......

However.....it doesn't appear to wear any longer than the Dunny ....

I've got just under 18,000 miles on the bike in 2 full riding seasons....and Im on my 5th rear tire.

Peter

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hesitate between the Night Dragon and the Michelin... I know that there's nothing for the front tire with Michelin Commander but my front Dunlop is still pretty good. Just thinking to give it a try until I'll need two new tires :)

·
12,984 Posts
I am going to try an Avon Cobra on the front of my XC... I heard there are a fairly sticky tire.
Kevinx said they stick like glue and wear like cotton candy.
I sure hope not my last tire was a Metzeler ME880 and it was worn out at 17 thousand

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
night dragon's for sure!!

on my 13 hammer, they handle great + love the corners. i find myself scraping at times as they feel so good you lean more without thinking. they are also a little lighter with the 240 out back still within spec fitment. not many miles yet to compare wear but prolly less. if i get 5,000 i will put them on again as they are that good!! i would like a 200-55-17 on the rear of my Hammer but it would be costly if possible, you need a 6 to 6.5" wide rim, a 17 up front could work too. small diameters are generally lighter + handle better. the for looks hammer 250 is just that for looks. being quite heavy it works the rear shock hard, carbon fiber wheels would lighten things for sure, your wallet included!!!

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Thanks VJ... If I can get around 20,000km out of a sticky front a tire I will be happy.
11,000 kms in my front 90 90 21 Night Dragon and its in the wear indicators. That's abrasive Aussie roads and an Aussie rider but:)
Getting just on 10,000kms on rear 180 55 18

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
not many miles yet to compare wear but prolly less. if i get 5,000 i will put them on again as they are that good!
Did you notice how much deeper the tread is on the Pirelli than on the OEM Dunlop? Seeing the tread depth has me thinking the NDs will last pretty good.

(Night Dragons) on my 13 hammer, they handle great + love the corners.
I must agree. The grip/tracking/steering feedback are nice.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm using the Metz now .... It does have a rounder profile than the Dunny , which wears flat after some time......

However.....it doesn't appear to wear any longer than the Dunny ....

I've got just under 18,000 miles on the bike in 2 full riding seasons....and Im on my 5th rear tire.

Peter
Peter, Have you run any other tire(s) outside of the Dunlop and Metz? If so, what have been your impressions amongst the various tires you've had? Need new treads and looking at options. Thanks.cheers

·
Registered
742 Posts
on my 13 hammer, they handle great + love the corners.
Good to know. I scrape w/the "hard" Dunlops though they definitely do NOT inspire confidence when pushing in the corners.

Had the Avon on the back. super sticky tire but very soft!!
Scratch that one off the list of possible replacements.

11,000 kms in my front 90 90 21 Night Dragon and its in the wear indicators. Getting just on 10,000kms on rear 180 55 18
I find this to be decent wear, Aussie roads and rider or not :D

The grip/tracking/steering feedback are nice.
Some music to my ears as I am looking for some grip in the corners.cheers

·
12,984 Posts
Maybe that new Dunlop Elite 3. That might be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Good to know. I scrape w/the "hard" Dunlops though they definitely do NOT inspire confidence when pushing in the corners.

Scratch that one off the list of possible replacements.

I find this to be decent wear, Aussie roads and rider or not :D

Some music to my ears as I am looking for some grip in the corners.cheers
Yeah Night Dragons, push em as hard as you like in the dry , and ride with total confidence in the wet.:)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
so far so good

just checked my records, got 2500 on the pirelli ND,s also a 240 they are lookin good. on that note a 240 is within spec for our 8.5" rim, being lighter as well a good thing. i ride the mountains a lot + almost always solo, no burnouts either. i enjoy the enhanced handling + traction, for me well worth a few thousand miles less wear, your choice handling + traction or extreme long wear or somewhere between. remember a guy at work years ago 2500 miles on a set of sticky tires on his crotch rocket!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts