Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a new Hammer 8 Ball, but I am concerned about the huge rear tire. I currently own a Honda VTX 1300C with a rear tire of 170mm and I feel that I have the ability to control the bike with easy and agility, being able to effortlessly lean into corners at speed, and also manage slow tight cone type turns (foot pedal to foot pedal) at walking speed.

I have read that a big rear tire can dramatically affect a riders ability to turn the bike, most often with custom bikes more so that manufactured bikes, but I have concerns with Hammer's big 250mm rear tire.

Living in Northen Ontario we still have three feet of snow and I'm 200 miles from the nearest dealer. I would appreciate all comments from those with seat time with the 250mm rear tire. Am I going to find that the Hammer 8 Ball is difficult to ride/turn? Will it be much different than that of my current ride?

Cobra:confused:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I came from sport bikes so I had similar concerns with handling also with the single sided front brake. To be honest after one ride all my concerns went away! I don't even notice the fat rear tire anymore through the twisties and still lead my buddies through them. Honestly the only time I really notice the fat rear tire is at slow speeds like manoeuvring through parking lots or a tight right hand turn leaving a stop sign.
Love my Hammer and don't miss my Ninja one bit...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hammer 8 Ball 250mm Rear Tire

Thanks for your reply......so you're saying that slow turns are somewhat compromised with the large rear tire and based on your response regarding turning right from a stop light/stop sign, I interpret that to mean slightly wider turns (at slow speed) than that of a motorcycle with a (170mm) conventional rear tire, correct?

Is there also a concern that when you are leaning it over to turn (slow speed), that there is difficulty in realizing that crutial point where you have reached maximum safe turning lean? Is it easy to lay down with significant lean at slow speed, more so than a bike with a narrow rear tire?

Cobra

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for your reply......so you're saying that slow turns are somewhat compromised with the large rear tire and based on your response regarding turning right from a stop light/stop sign, I interpret that to mean slightly wider turns (at slow speed) than that of a motorcycle with a (170mm) conventional rear tire, correct?

Is there also a concern that when you are leaning it over to turn (slow speed), that there is difficulty in realizing that crutial point where you have reached maximum safe turning lean? Is it easy to lay down with significant lean at slow speed, more so than a bike with a narrow rear tire?

Cobra
Maybe it's just me but yes slow speed manoeuvring is my only noticeable issue, but is not a deal breaker for me as it's not horrible but just noticeable .
I am a extremely aggressive corner type guy and honestly love the way the Hammer tracks through the corners, no chicken strips on my tires. Your going to drag your pegs before you hit the edge of your tire so you will know. I don't even think about it really, I hit EVERYTHING with speed, EVERYTHING!

What are you waiting for? Trust me if your coming from a vtx your not going to notice as much as you think...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just thought of something, my buddy has a HD Breakout and a decent rider, most of the times he's not even in my mirrors through the twisties and gripes about it quite often. I'm always on the gas and yes sometimes have to drag the rear brake a bit but other than dragging my knee and sitting more up right through the corners my style and speed hasn't changed much coming off the Ninja.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hammer 8 Ball

Maybe it's just me but yes slow speed manoeuvring is my only noticeable issue, but is not a deal breaker for me as it's not horrible but just noticeable .
I am a extremely aggressive corner type guy and honestly love the way the Hammer tracks through the corners, no chicken strips on my tires. Your going to drag your pegs before you hit the edge of your tire so you will know. I don't even think about it really, I hit EVERYTHING with speed, EVERYTHING!

What are you waiting for? Trust me if your coming from a vtx your not going to notice as much as you think...
Thanks for the speedy reply...."Similar to my VTX" does give me reassurance that I'm going to love this bike. Just one hurtle, that being to massage the wife into agreeing that I need this bigger, better bike (ha ha). I'm going to have to arrange for a viewing at the dealer (200 miles away) once we get a hint at spring.

I also noted that your bike doesn't have the factory handlebars.....looks like a dragster type handlebar. Manufacturer?

Cobra

·
Registered
352 Posts
The only time I have noticed having the big rear tire.....was when I was a noob ...and didn't pay attention to keep the proper air pressure ......or the 1st few times I let the rear tire wear too flat.

The choice of tire has a dramatic effect on handling also......ideally you are looking for a 'rounder' profile tire ....the stock Dunlop tends to wear flat after a bit .....
There are a few good choices for replacing the stock tire once you wear it. I went thru 3 Dunny's ....and now on my 2nd Metzler , which happens to be a 260 ....but has a slight narrower , but rounder profile.
My next rear tire will probably be a Pirelli Night Dragon 240 ....great reviews from some here.
But ...you will be with the Stock Dunlop for a bit...so just keep it inflated to full specs all the time.....and you will be fine.

Peter

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the speedy reply...."Similar to my VTX" does give me reassurance that I'm going to love this bike. Just one hurtle, that being to massage the wife into agreeing that I need this bigger, better bike (ha ha). I'm going to have to arrange for a viewing at the dealer (200 miles away) once we get a hint at spring.

I also noted that your bike doesn't have the factory handlebars.....looks like a dragster type handlebar. Manufacturer?

Cobra
What dealer are you going to?
Yeah I had to ditch the stock bars for a drag T bar set up just to much pull back . The bars from a VTX are a direct swap out to the Vics so if you have something that you like on your current bike the will fit (5 inch centers on the Vics as well)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What dealer are you going to?
Yeah I had to ditch the stock bars for a drag T bar set up just to much pull back . The bars from a VTX are a direct swap out to the Vics so if you have something that you like on your current bike the will fit (5 inch centers on the Vics as well)
Closest dealer is Sudbury......

·
Registered
530 Posts
another hammer rider chiming in. i also came from sportbikes, the last being a Ducati Monster. before that I had a bevy of sportbikes and a Kawasaki Mean Streak. I actually prefer the handling of the Hammer over the Mean Streak because imho its predicatable. I don't notice any ill effects at higher speed. like a couple have said before, slow speed (aka anything under 10-15 mph) can be a little tricky but once you get used to it, its really nothing big. i think the hammer handles as close to a sportbike as i would personally like, specially for a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I had a 06' Hammer with a 280 Metz on the back and didn't have the first problem!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hammer 8 Ball

Just checking insurance costs and they asked if this bike comes with an anti-theft device from the manufacturer. If it doesn't, exactly what am I looking at to remedy this? I don't remember being asked this for my VTX Honda and the insurance person indicated that only certain bikes require this. Is this due to the Hammer being desirable and high on theft? Also would the front locking wheel on my VTX be considered an anti-theft device?

Lastly I purchased an after market Mustang seat for my VTX however they don't make one for the Hammer. Am I going to be disappointd with the factory seat?

Thanks Cobra

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just checking insurance costs and they asked if this bike comes with an anti-theft device from the manufacturer. If it doesn't, exactly what am I looking at to remedy this? I don't remember being asked this for my VTX Honda and the insurance person indicated that only certain bikes require this. Is this due to the Hammer being desirable and high on theft? Also would the front locking wheel on my VTX be considered an anti-theft device?

Lastly I purchased an after market Mustang seat for my VTX however they don't make one for the Hammer. Am I going to be disappointd with the factory seat?

Thanks Cobra
No theft protection device, who is your insurance company? I'm with state farm and they don't ask for one, although Allstate asked for one when I got a quote from them.
There is after market seat's available, the stock seat isn't horrible but isn't great either. If you wanted to keep the stock look with the rear cowl then like me your stuck with the stock seat which I planned on pulling apart and adding a gel pad and memory foam (would have happened this winter but blew my $ on other ****).

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just to mention the Hammer doesn't even lock the bars with the key it actually has a loop on the lower triple and a loop on the steering kneck and with the bars at full lock they align so you can slide a padlock in, not sure why Vic went that route...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Security System

Just to mention the Hammer doesn't even lock the bars with the key it actually has a loop on the lower triple and a loop on the steering kneck and with the bars at full lock they align so you can slide a padlock in, not sure why Vic went that route...
I'm kind of disappointed as I have confirmed my insurance company (TD Canada Trust Insurance) states that they will not insure me unless the bike has a security system and the wheel turned to full with padlock doesn't count. Interestingly they don't require this for my VTX, and the guy said he believes this is because the Hammer 8 Ball is desired by thieves.

I have been with this company, multiple cars, motorcycle and home for years and they offer great premiums, so do I purchase an after market alarm system or go with an other insurance company?

Cobra:confused:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Next time you talk to them ask them who they would recommend to insure the bike that doesn't require a anti theft device, I'd tell them to pound salt. That's just me though, I don't have the patience for that kinda ****, you want my money or not? I friggen despise insurance companies. State farm will insure it without an alarm, doesn't hurt to shop around...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Secutity Alarm

Next time you talk to them ask them who they would recommend to insure the bike that doesn't require a anti theft device, I'd tell them to pound salt. That's just me though, I don't have the patience for that kinda ****, you want my money or not? I friggen despise insurance companies. State farm will insure it without an alarm, doesn't hurt to shop around...

My thoughts exactly......I do however like the convenience of dealing with the same company for all my insurance needs, but agreed it's not a deal breaker. I used to be with Riders Plus but their rates skyrocketed which they attributed to many claims that year, none from me though, so I told them to hit the road and I went TD, with even a better rate. You're right, I'll have to shop around.

Kinda nerves me though, I must be naive cause I didn't realize how prevalent motorcycle theft is. That insurance agent led me to believe these Victory Hammer's are targeted by thieves.

Cobra

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
250 dunlops got better

test rode an 08 premium hammer + was put off by the "unusual" handling, after posting + getting advise as the dunlop 250's were redesigned for Victory's bikes, test rode a 13, WOW what a nice difference + i purchased my preowned 13 hammer in 13 with 8xx miles, got a great deal trading in my hardly @ the hardly dealer. fast forward, if you want sporty handling get a pair of pirelli night dragon's, 240 on the rear is still a spec fit on the 8.5" rim. the bike is transformed + "wants" to turn. i sold my 2,xxx mile OE dunlops on this forum, they are liked for their long mileage which i don't expect on the pirelli's, but handling + traction is great!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
State farm will insure it without an alarm, doesn't hurt to shop around...
Progressive doesn't require it either. I have had them over multiple bikes in the past and while they may not be the cheapest, they certainly aren't the most expensive. I carry them for both my wife's car and my own in addition to my Hammer and anytime I have needed them, they are easy to work with and were very quick to get us back up and running. 10x better than any time I had to deal with Allstate. but definitely shop around like Lunatic said.. maybe them be competitive.. no reason to pass on a great bike because of an insurance company's short sightedness.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts