Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the weatherman lied to me again, said it was supposed to be a balmy 33 this morning, but it turned out to be 28. I think my eyeballs have finally thawed and my legs are a little less numb! But at least I'm riding again! Keep the shiny side up brothers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My respect for you is exceeded only by my concern for your sanity.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Once upon a time, there was a forum contest to take a picture of your bike in front of a bank or whatever showing the temp. Coldest rider -- the winner. You, sir, coulda been a contender!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've done a lot of around town riding in the upper 20s to lower 30s as long as there isn't any precipitation on the ground.

Then one day I took a 120 mile ride which started out at 28 degrees and was about 3/4 or better highway. Since my previous cold weather riding was around town I wasn't ready and didn't put on enough layers. But I did have electric gloves which helped...A LOT!!!

By the time I got to my destination I was so cold I didn't start shivering until 5 minutes after I got off the bike :eek:

Even in cold weather, a day on 2 wheels is better than any day on 4, as long as you prepare for it cheers

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as long as there's no salt and/or ice on the roads, I'll ride. Generally around town, but I've done longer trips. I fell into the "under prepared" group once myself. Started my ride at 50 degrees, but like an idiot I didn't figure that A: I was driving 4 hours north from where I was and B: the sun was dropping. I was borderline hypothermic when I got to where I was going. Live and learn I suppose. Now I generally wear my carhartt bibs, woolrich uppers, neck gator, and ice armor gloves. The coldest I've ridden was -10 but that was only 30 miles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you just might be out of your box...:crzy:cheers:crzy:
Well the coldest on a bike, about 23 degrees for about 25 miles. It sucked. Jeans, long sleeve t-shirt, crappy gloves, I did have a full face helmet on though. Picked my first bike up from the dealer in February in Evansville Indiana, rode it to my father in-laws garage and parked it. However, I grew up in northern Michigan, we went to the upper peninsula a lot for snowmobile trips. The first day we rode up there it was 35 below zero, with no wind chill and yes we were prepared for it. Hand warmers built into the grips are life savers and a electric shield on your helmet is a must. It was so cold though, that my Dads sled's engine seized about 4 miles into the ride. Sucked for him, mine still ran just fine!!! Went for about 10 hours that day. We were ready for the cold but I was still ready to get inside when we got back!!!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Well, the weatherman lied to me again, said it was supposed to be a balmy 33 this morning, but it turned out to be 28. I think my eyeballs have finally thawed and my legs are a little less numb! But at least I'm riding again! Keep the shiny side up brothers.
Well, sometimes ya just got to ride.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
that is an AWESOME pic!!!
thumb upthumb upthumb up
This photo shows The Salt Lake in the distance and Antelope Island which is in the lake. It looks hazy because of the water vapor from the melting snow. We get a few flash snow storms(lake effect) and this was one of those days. It snowed early and with temps in the mid 40's; by the end of the day most of the snow was gone. The bike is setting just off the edge of completely dry pavement on a dead end street.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
810 Posts
This photo shows The Salt Lake in the distance and Antelope Island which is in the lake. It looks hazy because of the water vapor from the melting snow. We get a few flash snow storms(lake effect) and this was one of those days. It snowed early and with temps in the mid 40's; by the end of the day most of the snow was gone. The bike is setting just off the edge of completely dry pavement on a dead end street.:rolleyes:
truely a great shot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts