Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 3 year warranty on my 13 Vegas that I bought last week. I have the option to extend it to 5 years for 400.00.

Yay or nay on the extension? I have to decide before the end of December.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If that covers the whole bike it might possibly be worth it for peace of mind. If it is an engine/transmission extension that of course excludes wear items like the clutch, I would definitely pass, but that is me. What it is worth to you is really up to you.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I currently have a 3 year warranty on my 13 Vegas that I bought last week. I have the option to extend it to 5 years for 400.00.

Yay or nay on the extension? I have to decide before the end of December.

Nay.

$50 or more deductible, have to get warranty provider's approval before repairs are covered, low likelihood that something would go and be covered, and the list of reasons goes on and on.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Nay.

$50 or more deductible, have to get warranty provider's approval before repairs are covered, low likelihood that something would go and be covered, and the list of reasons goes on and on.
:I agree: I must concur with CR's .

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you do any riding at all, any "defects in parts or workmanship" will most likely show up before your three year warranty expires.

I have done 500 miles since I got the bike last weekend. Pretty sure it would be 3x that if the weather was warmer. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Really it is more about are you going to be comfortable either way. it is only $400 and if it makes you sleep better at night knowing that IF something happens you at least have the warranty, BUT if you are confident that you can handle anything that happens then skip it.

I am not going to tell you to go one way or the other. It is a choice that you have to make based on your gut feelings.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Life's a crapshoot. Warranties are legalized gambling. I had a two year warranty on my Kingpin and needed to use it twice. Thankfullly in the third year, I had no problems. There's a theory of infant mortality where most failures will occur within the first year or two. I'd save my money and go with trusting the overall reliability of the Victory brand. By year 3 or 4, you may be looking at a trade for another Victory model anyways.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I would normally say no to extended warrantys but if it covers the whole bike then you may want to consider it. If it is just the powertrain warranty then leave it. The reason I would consider it is that I had my shock go out on me within my first year of ownership and the shock costs over $400 plus labor. I also had a couple of more minor warranty issues but they still would have added up to well over $400.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased one for my 2013 xct. I believe it covers the same as 3 year warranty, but I could be wrong. I wanted that piece of mind, and I knew I would ride a lot. Did not want to be stuck out on the road and have to shell out big money for tow or repairs. If I sell the bike in 3 years, more likely some one else will buy it knowing it has a warranty. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Before I would spend $400 on a piece of paper I would read the whole piece of paper and decide is it worth $400 as I've seem plenty pieces of paper that didn't do anything but say It's not covered! From what I know almost all of those pieces of paper are not worth squat! They are good for raising your blood pressure when trying to use those pieces of paper though......

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I purchased one for my 2013 xct. I believe it covers the same as 3 year warranty, but I could be wrong. I wanted that piece of mind, and I knew I would ride a lot. Did not want to be stuck out on the road and have to shell out big money for tow or repairs. If I sell the bike in 3 years, more likely some one else will buy it knowing it has a warranty. Just my thoughts.
Unfortunately (and I think it's better to rain on your parade now, so you're prepared in the future if you ever need the warranty), you will have to pay the dealer to tear it apart to determine what part failed and the cause of failure. Once they determine what caused it to fail, they will submit a warranty claim and wait to see if the repair gets approved, but they won't do any of this work without you forking the money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts