Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed the 30k service on my 2010 vision except for the front end service that was done at the dealer in Reno at 15k. My question is do I really need to do the front end/ forks again now or/ and how long can I wait. I have the service manual and don't think I want to try changing the oil myself. I think the quote from the dealer was in the 300 dollar range to take the whole front end apart. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx, Bob.

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
I have completed the 30k service on my 2010 vision except for the front end service that was done at the dealer in Reno at 15k. My question is do I really need to do the front end/ forks again now or/ and how long can I wait. I have the service manual and don't think I want to try changing the oil myself. I think the quote from the dealer was in the 300 dollar range to take the whole front end apart. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx, Bob.
personally I think Ma Vic likes her bikes over-serviced.
I'm probably not the only one.

·
13,003 Posts
rkortan
if you had it done at 15K I would wait till you had 75K on it before doing it again.
Victory has some ridicules intervals for matinées

I think

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Lots of bad advice to be found. Forks are subject to amazing amounts of abuse, and only work as well as they are serviced. Remember a motorcycle has 2 wheels, and not only does the suspension effect the way it rides. The main job is to keep the tires on the road. Nothing better then a panic stop, ABS kicks in, and you start dribbling the tire like a basketball. The fluid degrades slowly, and you may not notice it as much, but the difference is huge. Fork oil suffers from heat, friction, and an amazing amount of shear. As it wears it becomes thinner, and rate of flow changes through the regulator holes, in the cartridge. Shearing causes varnish to build up, and that makes sliding parts sticky. Just because you can't SEE the effects; like with dirty oil on a stick. It does not mean you can ignore them.
Yes 15K might be overkill for a easy rider, but not for an aggressive rider. Even an easy rider should go no more then 20K.....It's not like your life depends on how well you maintain your bike......Oh yea....IT DOES!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been doing the fork fluid when I replace the front tire-works out just about right and your already half way there. I do prefer the full synthetic fork fluid-I've been using Silkolene the last couple times and also had good results with Red Line, the stock factory oil seemed like water to me when it got real hot out and the forks would dive more than I like under heavy breaking/scrubbing off speed going into corners-much improved with the 10W full synthetic on those hot days.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I've been doing the fork fluid when I replace the front tire-works out just about right and your already half way there. I do prefer the full synthetic fork fluid-I've been using Silkolene the last couple times and also had good results with Red Line, the stock factory oil seemed like water to me when it got real hot out and the forks would dive more than I like under heavy breaking/scrubbing off speed going into corners-much improved with the 10W full synthetic on those hot days.
All good advice in this one

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
@kevinx
ok mate what exactly is entailed in me servicing the forks in my Vegas?
I got access to a bike lift now and improving the rear with a Progressive shock has shown up the front forks shortcomings.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
@kevinx
ok mate what exactly is entailed in me servicing the forks in my Vegas?
I got access to a bike lift now and improving the rear with a Progressive shock has shown up the front forks shortcomings.
Basic service is pulling legs. Dropping the springs. Flushing with clean fluid. Filling with clean fluid. Note that Vic uses a liquid measurement as a STARTING POINT then you use a measured height from the top of the collapsed tube.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the comments. Looks like I will be servicing the forks about every 25k.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just had mine done at the vic shop. Bike has 20000 on it. Kevin is right. I did not notice that it was degraded till after i road it after the change. I will be changing mine every 20000.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
Basic service is pulling legs. Dropping the springs. Flushing with clean fluid. Filling with clean fluid. Note that Vic uses a liquid measurement as a STARTING POINT then you use a measured height from the top of the collapsed tube.
@Kevinx ok I'm gonna do a basic service soon, on my Vegas, local mechanic says I can change oil without changing seals (seals arent leaking)
Elsewhere you mention adding an extra 10 mills of 10 weight fork oil for better performance.
So empty forks, flush with clean fluid, then add 470mm I think it is for my Vegas, then measure level as per manual, then add extra 10ml per leg....is that correct?

·
Registered
372 Posts
2 different Victory's I've owned I've found concerning amounts of wear metal suspended in the old fluid when changed out. One bike was at 19K the other at 9K. :eek: Not enough to be a big deal since it was getting changed out but could be a very big deal if left ignored. Change your fork oil at suggested or even more conservative intervals. You'll be glad long term that you did.

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
Are you there kevinx, probably a very busy man yes.
@40XC. Mmm thats a worry...maybe thats why Vic Aust dont sell fork seals without you buying the bushings as well in the kit??? ..
After a very hard 500 kms last Sunday tryna keep a mates old Z1000 honest and chasing an R6 over a mountain my forks are decidedly soft.
And no I couldnt catch either of em but had fun trying:)
Speedo clocked 50,000 kms on sunday too, thats around 30,000 miles

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Are you there kevinx, probably a very busy man yes.
@40XC. Mmm thats a worry...maybe thats why Vic Aust dont sell fork seals without you buying the bushings as well in the kit??? ..
After a very hard 500 kms last Sunday tryna keep a mates old Z1000 honest and chasing an R6 over a mountain my forks are decidedly soft.
And no I couldnt catch either of em but had fun trying:)
Speedo clocked 50,000 kms on sunday too, thats around 30,000 miles
LoL sorry I missed your last post. I have 4 motor jobs going along with all the daily work at the shop. Lots of work, and only one me. You do are correct in your thinking of my ride improvement solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there any particular type of Silkolene Fork Oil to be used in the Vision fork.

Scratch that, just had a better look..... 10w Synthetic

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to the dealer today and made an appt to have my forks serviced. I was quoted $400-$500 for just the fork service.
Is that the going rate?
I have done a few forks myself over the years and have the shop to work in so I'm considering doing them myself.
Is there anything about the Vision forks that is so different I should have the dealer do them? I have the service manual.
I don't mind paying for the service if it's really worth it, but that seems like a lot for the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assume that includes parts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts