1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was thinking of putting something on the top of my bags too, just didn't know what i wanted to use yet. That looks like a good idea, you probably could find it at any paint and body supply store and cut them yourself.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Tankslappers offers a pretty extensive film pre cut. We are using it and only a couple of years old, but holding up as expaected from a 3M product.
The spray on is supposed to last about a year, I have a can and keep saying i'm putting it on the car but I procras--------------------
Anyway, the reviews are good, it is 3M, and it is cheap enough if one would like to try it out.
Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I put the 3m paint protector on part of the tank and front fender on my 12 Cross Roads. You just need to take your time putting it on. Soapy water makes it work. It also waxes just fine. Can't even tell it's there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
thats funny I was just telling someone about how I wanted to find something like this for the gas tank where the seat comes in contact with tank. Im afraid of Zipper scratches. It also seems like everyone who sits on bike needs to kick a bag..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes. I have those on my 2012 Cross Roads LE (sold to a friend) and my 2013 XCT. They work as advertised. I would spring for the all 3M kit. Some of the pieces can be hard to put on and all the air bubbles removed. They helped to protect the paint against belt buckles, zippers and boot marks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
\It also seems like everyone who sits on bike needs to kick a bag..
When I first brought my XR home my brother, dad, buddies, etc all had to sit in the saddle and everyone of them ended up kicking the bag (usually the right one). I was going to put the 3M stuff on mine but I've scratched it to the point that it would now be a waist of time. The good thing about the Sunset red is that is hides scratches well until light hits the scratches at a certain angle.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i had the people who do my graphics do the saddlebags and tank
rear for me so i didnt screw it up. she said the do a lot of bikes[mostly harley]. been on for a year now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought the tankslapper version did not like it. The 3M is the only way to go but it is tricky to install. I have it on my bag lids and gas tank also on the nose of my front fender. May be worth having an auto detailer to do it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Victory offers a kit for the bags. Covers top and front. I may give that a try if I can find them for a deal. I'm a firm believer in 3M ScotchCal. Been using it for many, many years on all my vehicles. I sort of want to have the installer that normally does my vehicles apply it to the fairing on the XC, but I fear it will be really expensive considering how many individual surfaces there are to cover.

Victory scuff pad set

Rob

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I have rolls of the stuff. They used to put on cars as a clear bra. It will yellow over time and it has fallen out of favor because of that. Use lots of soap and water. We used to use Johnsons baby shampoo. Like 1 tablespoon to a spray bottle of water. They sell a squeegee that works well for applying it. I am covering my bag lids in vinyl once I finish the speaker ring install.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have rolls of the stuff. They used to put on cars as a clear bra. It will yellow over time and it has fallen out of favor because of that. Use lots of soap and water. We used to use Johnsons baby shampoo. Like 1 tablespoon to a spray bottle of water. They sell a squeegee that works well for applying it. I am covering my bag lids in vinyl once I finish the speaker ring install.
Real 3M ScotchCal has never yellowed for me. I have it on a vehicle installed in 2000 and it is still clear. Your mileage may vary with other brands.

If you have actual ScotchCal you want to get rid of I'll take the roll of your hands.

Rob

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Real 3M ScotchCal has never yellowed for me. I have it on a vehicle installed in 2000 and it is still clear. Your mileage may vary with other brands.

If you have actual ScotchCal you want to get rid of I'll take the roll of your hands.

Rob
I am not sure what I have. Most of it was left over car kits that I carve up when I need some.

·
12,984 Posts
I have used it for years and has saved my paint a lot. Yes you my get hit by a rock that the film will not protech your paint. But then if the bike is do 80 and the rock is doing 60 then yes your going to get a ding.
Its easy to take off with a heat gun or hair dryer just takes time.
Advance auto parts sells this kit and its great. Yes you can see the film but what would you rather have paint chips or scuff marks.
Front fender tip front of saddle bags and top of bags.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
great reviews guys,mostly positive
I think I will give it a try

Thanks Dan

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
I've had tankslappers on my Vegas for two years and they look exactly the same as the day I put them on.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've had tankslappers on my Vegas for two years and they look exactly the same as the day I put them on.
thanks cheers
I just ordered it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts