Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in the right place at the wrong time. Over heard someone talking about a 4 valve water cooled Indian engine yet to be release.

Let the screaming begin.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Now that Harley is going water cooled we need another rumor victim might as well Be Indian.

I have a friend in a service department in a dealership that hasn't been built yet that says Indian is going water cooled.

·
Registered
774 Posts

I put this supercharger on a S&S 107 and gained 13 measly HP.
Blowing V twins is a black art and Hardly could never get it right.cheers:ltr:

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I wonder how much parasitic loss there was on that...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I wonder how much parasitic loss there was on that...
Probably a bunch.
older Vtwins that shared the intake plenum don't have the volume to build enough boost in the plenum to feed both cyls.
Was a fun but expensive experiment.cheerscheersthumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I think through Victory and Indian, Polaris is holding an engineering lesson on how to build an air cooled motor without the shortcomings of HD. They have no reason to whimper and build a liquid cooled bike.

Whoever's starting these rumours must be dilusioning themselves in thinking Indian is following HD. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I think through Victory and Indian, Polaris is holding an engineering lesson on how to build an air cooled motor without the shortcomings of HD. They have no reason to whimper and build a liquid cooled bike.

Whoever's starting these rumours must be dilusioning themselves in thinking Indian is following HD. :ltr:
Following Harley? They are like the last people on earth to figure it out. BMW just did the same type of hot spot cooling that Harley did and they were able to pull like 20% more HP out of their boxer.

If you read the last comparison of the Harley vs Indian, the Harley actually made more top end power than the Indian and that was just the air-cooled 103. If Indian executed a well designed system that worked as well as Beemers, it would flat smoke the Harley. And that's BEFORE they put better flowing 4 valve heads on it.

The other benefit is heat reduction. If you've had a chance to ride an Indian, then you likely realize that that is an area that could stand to be addressed.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Considering the clutch and primary are also on that side, yea :D :D

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Following Harley? They are like the last people on earth to figure it out. BMW just did the same type of hot spot cooling that Harley did and they were able to pull like 20% more HP out of their boxer.

If you read the last comparison of the Harley vs Indian, the Harley actually made more top end power than the Indian and that was just the air-cooled 103. If Indian executed a well designed system that worked as well as Beemers, it would flat smoke the Harley. And that's BEFORE they put better flowing 4 valve heads on it.

The other benefit is heat reduction. If you've had a chance to ride an Indian, then you likely realize that that is an area that could stand to be addressed.
Time will tell, but in my opinion, Indian will make electric scooters before they make liquid cooled motorcycles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Now that Harley is going water cooled we need another rumor victim might as well Be Indian.

I have a friend in a service department in a dealership that hasn't been built yet that says Indian is going water cooled.
We will see. The person I over heard happens to of been on the design team for the present Indian engine.

P.S. The Harley engine is oil cooled not water cooled. So Harley has followed Victory and Indian again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
We will see. The person I over heard happens to of been on the design team for the present Indian engine.

P.S. The Harley engine is oil cooled not water cooled. So Harley has followed Victory and Indian again.

Well I have to disagree to a point yes they put on oil coolers but they have added this also.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I stand corrected. Thought it was just an oil cooling system.
Actually, on the water-cooled Harleys, they de-populated the oil-cooler. If the water cooling system breaks, it is a truely convection cooled unit.

From what I understand of the Harleys is that unlike Vics which pump oil throughout the machine the way a water cooled bike would to dissipate heat everywhere, the heads of the Harleys are at the mercy of convection heat transfer to their environment. The directed cooling of the exhaust valve seems to make a substantial improvement according to the guys whose bike hasn't sprung a leak on them...

It is my understanding that the Indian uses the Harley model for oil-cooling. It's a hot sumagun too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All the person said was 4 valve water cooled Indian engine yet to be released. So I would take that as a 4 valve per cylinder water cooled engine. Number of cylinders to be determined at a later date. Like when they feel like letting out some info.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Two Polaris engine designers walk into a bar, or a Starbucks or Jamba Juice, whatever.

Point is consider the internal conversation at Polaris before the new Indian was cut loose for manufacture.

Pop has no information or source. I do have a sense of the global frustration owners of the Gilroy and Stellican era Indians had. Any time two or more owners were in one place complaints about limited platforms, the need for entry level bikes, the need for water cooling and all the other usual suspects got dragged out.

I have to believe that all that folderol was common knowledge to the Polaris team. I also believe that Polaris is absolutely tuned to the failure of Indian to emerge from the shadow of the Hendee years. I don't see how a multinat manufacturer would find themselves undertaking the Indian resurrection without a lot of down and dirty strategic planning. That seems to be validated by the lazerlike roll out targeting HD.

Lo puny mortals, behold the result of all the Indian designers gnashing of teeth and midnight oil burnt to define the path forward with a clean slate. One air cooled V with buckets of bottom, a familiar sound, big valenced sheetmetal and (oh my) a look that screams latterday Springfield flattie.

There may well be a water cooled Indian on the horizon. It's parked right next to all the other manufacturers water cooled models that look real good on paper. Just FTR I am fine with water cooling. No magic in the math but these highfalutin whiz kids that come up with these brainstorms would do well to use a little of that creativity to massage the radiators into something that is a passable part of the aesthete of a motorcycle. Then again some folks seem fine with the nose of a Peterbilt slung between their downtubes.

Anyway, I got this sixty odd inch Samsung 3D flat screen a couple years ago. I know I have like four sets of them goofy glasses around here somewhere. It was a novel concept for a couple of weekends. Now it's just another tv with another bunch of bells and whistles that are basically doorstops. Watercooling is a doorstop as long as we pay a premium for it. It becomes more valid when it looks like brakes, or hand levers or any other motorcycle thing that is integral and part of what motorcycling is. Probably going to take a few more Hondas and Beemers et al to flesh that all out before you get a level of acceptance in the broader cruiser community. Rushmore is stumbling, but like Obamas website, Milwaukee will keep tweaking. In the meantime, Indian looks just dandy without plumbing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts