Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago I did a complete spray down of the bike. Nothing very crazy and time consuming either. It hasn't really seen any rain this year thanks to good weather. Most of the time it gets a quick fairing clean every few days if the bugs pile up and Lately with 85 degrees I have been washing it off less. So far this year I have had two instances of engine running problems. That turned out to not be a problem.... Hit some fast bumps/ holes in the dark and engine light popped on a few second and went away. I dismissed it as battery. Ordered and planned the circuit breaker upgrade. Last night engine light came on a few seconds and went away. No other symptoms.

So tonight was the night. Found water inside this POS and starting to accumulate around the connection. Watched Pauls video about sealing the new Buss and all done. Less than 7k miles on this part and its trapping water like a sponge.
Very Disappointed that I had to waste my time doing this polaris.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I guess I need to look up what to order for this.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I guess I need to look up what to order for this.

https://www.thevog.net/threads/40-amp-circuit-breaker-metal-case-vs-nylon-plastic-case-photos.54308/

See this thread for all things 40 amp. I got mine from Napa. The replacement that pple tout is made by the same company. Its all metal shell vs plastic. What I did with my spare:

-used ge marine silicone to form a seal between the metal top and casing. This silicone is thinner and flows nicely then hardens like a plastic shell.
-took electricians tape and wrapped it between the lugs 4 or 5 times to ensure the top can't separate from the casing
-threw it in my bag until I need it.

A few notes:

I avoid riding in rain like the plague. Not because of this. Because of my E3s and I just don't like it.

All washing on my bike is by hand. There's lots more places water can get into on a bike than just this that can cause problems. I can hand wash and dry my bike in a hour a couple of times a month. Good enough😁

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Rain happens. I like the idea of prepping one and keeping on hand. I still need to make up a small toolkit for the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Posting to the 40 Amp thread

Just stumbled across this thread. Since I on my second Victory, my first being a 2003 V92 Classic, my current one is a 2012 HighBall, I'm all about preventative maintenance.

So my question to the group is since I have a 106 and it's currently right at 30000 miles.

I have ridden in the rain, and believe me it's been quite hot here in Houston, TX on the Gulf coast this summer, AND I do wash my bike and sometimes lightly spray it off with a garden hose before hand drying, all of the parameters for this 40 A failure as mentioned up above.

For the past four years, I've carried a clutch cable up to the Hill Country to the Twisted Sisters, just in case the cable were to snap. I've only had one snap down on the bead at the clutch on the 2003 V92, and once on the bead the clutch lever on the HighBall. I think what's made this last cable last longer, is making sure there some lithium grease now added on both ends every time I do my oil change every 3K miles. This has probably reduced that chance of water collecting near the beaded endpoints and affecting those strands where the bead is pressed on to them. Before the Hill Country trip this year I purchased A Magnum Black Pearl clutch cable from WitchDoctors. Have installed it yet because the other one shows no sign of wear and tear. Just this past month I replaced my battery on the HighBall since it sounded like I wasn't getting the cranking power out of the battery. I checked with a local franchise company/online here in Texas called Battery Plus+. The battery that I had replaced the factory battery was a Duralast I think I had purchased from AutoZone or OReilly. I figured well, it's been two years most likely time to change the battery. This Duracell I picked up Duracell Ultra 20HL-BS AGM Black Case, boasted 310 cold cranking amps. Most of the batteries I had seen at OReilly and AutoZone were around 120-150 CCA. I tell ya, I put that battery in and turned the bike over and wow amazing starting power. Oh, and BTW, that old Durlast I pulled out that I thought was somewhere around 2 years old was in fact put in back in Oct 2014, so I def got my money's worth outta that bad boy!

That all being said, sounds like this part should be something well worth carrying in my toolkit as well, just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I found a tech tip or whatever by Paulie I think on this subject. I replaced mine and sealed it up.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Fortunately, my original breaker tripped after the light turned green and I made it across the intersection when it shut everything down. The crappy OEM breaker didn't reset and I had to stay overnight, hundreds of miles from home, and replace it the next day with a quality BUSS breaker. Nice that it happened in a city and an auto repair shop let me park the bike inside for the night and then let me use their space and tools.
Summer heat will cause them to trip, so you want to do two things to prevent that: 1. If you still have the OEM breaker, replace it; 2. Make certain the air flow to it is not obstructed - it's on the left side of the battery.

·
Registered
204 Posts
https://nydailyrecord.com/2017/02/09/hilton-couple-wins-2m-verdict-from-harley-davidson/

Courts just ruled to make Harley PAY on the appeal. Now I see HD riders are changing this for a fuze instead..... and have a better bike after doing it. WTH?
From that article:

'On April 30, 2004, David Smalley was driving the motorcycle, with his wife, Judith Smalley, on the passenger seat behind him, when the motorcycle shut down as they entered a curve on Route 18, in Clarkson.

Because there was no power, the 850-pound touring motorcycle would have tipped onto its side if Smalley tried to continue making the turn. Instead, he went straight ahead into a grass field, but drove into a rut and the motorcycle flipped over.'

So on the above logic, if you get a puncture or run out of fuel or your bike engine falters for any reason, you just head straight off the road and into the boonies and hope like hell you can stop safely! Heaven forbid, you don't want that 850-pound touring motorcycle tipping onto its side if you tried to continue making the turn!

Clearly the presiding judge had very little clue about the riding of motorcycles. I hope HD appealed this and had it overturned.

Russ.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I don't see the oem 40AMP circuit breaker as being a bad design at all. I'd suggest that for everyone who had there's fail, there are 100's whose oem relay is working just fine. Many have replaced a perfectly good 40AMP circuit breaker in the hopes of getting a better one. Ok, great. But again, actual failures of this item seem to be very few and far between on Victory motorcycles. My 2012 CCT has over 62K miles on it and believe me, I've been caught in many downpours over many hours and 100's of miles. As has been posted many times, the oem circuit breaker is plastic with a bead of sealant between the top plate and the housing. Plus the original design has a red plastic cover over the top of the CB thereby making it even more weather resistant. Why replace it with the metal one that that can rust and that may or may not have sealant between the case and the top plate?

I've never, not even once, used a high pressure hose to wash my motorcycle. IMHO, that's just not a good move, regardless of make and model of motorcycle.

I did buy a new oem 40AMP circuit breaker along with a new starter relay. At some point, probably when I replace the battery the next time, I'll replace them both. But again, I simply don't see this item as poor or sub par engineering from Polaris. Maybe the earlier bikes used a different circuit breaker and/or they didn't have the extra protective cover on them.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Not as many miles on my bike as most of you but 7 years of riding in all temps and more rain than I would like and my oem breaker is just fine. I did buy a spare when years back when this was first being discussed and keep it in my saddlebag along with a spare clutch cable and a good tool kit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
After reading this thread yesterday I decided to grab a spare breaker which I'll store somewhere on the bike for one of those 'Just in case' moments. I figured that the price of under seven bucks made it a worthwhile spare to carry. Of course, now that I have a spare, the original one will last forever and never give me any trouble - but I'm fine with that!

A bit like the drive belt on my Harley. It copped a stone through the middle of the original belt somewhere around the 20,000 km mark. I raced out and bought a new belt, thinking that it was obviously about to fail.

The bike has now done 168,000 km and that damn belt's still on there with it's puncture hole seemingly happy to go around and around. Hopefully the rats won't have eaten the new one by the time I actually get to use it! :grin

·
Registered
49 Posts
After reading this thread yesterday I decided to grab a spare breaker which I'll store somewhere on the bike for one of those 'Just in case' moments. I figured that the price of under seven bucks made it a worthwhile spare to carry. Of course, now that I have a spare, the original one will last forever and never give me any trouble - but I'm fine with that!

A bit like the drive belt on my Harley. It copped a stone through the middle of the original belt somewhere around the 20,000 km mark. I raced out and bought a new belt, thinking that it was obviously about to fail.

The bike has now done 168,000 km and that damn belt's still on there with it's puncture hole seemingly happy to go around and around. Hopefully the rats won't have eaten the new one by the time I actually get to use it! :grin
Do you have a link, please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a 2011 CC with 70,000 km on it and still have the original breaker, clutch cable and battery. Everything is good so far. Maybe I should buy a new battery this season????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts