Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, really 443.9, miles, but who is counting?
Had a stellar ride yesterday with fellow members Half_Crazy and Squatch. Left Southern Maryland about 0815 and headed to the blue ridge parkway...using all back roads, of course. These guys have a lot of saddle time and it shows. HC owns the twisties on his KP and Squatch makes his XCT glide like butter, riding 2 up no less. I've only got a year in the saddle and I'm sure I heard my XR say "dude, keep up...you're making me look bad". I had one close call that caused serious pucker factor and unfortunately we came across an accident scene. Hopefully the rider is OK.
I have a lot to learn and I appreciate these men talking the time and being ultra patient with me.
Cheers,
Craig

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't worry about those guys,
I'm sure they understand.....hey we all started at some point.

Don't try to over do it or you could be the rider down.

Good day of riding for sure, 444 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Had a stellar ride yesterday with fellow members Half_Crazy and Squatch.
Woohoo! Sounds like a blast!

·
13,262 Posts
You ride at your pace and you'll live longer.
Ask where you headed and where you going to stop then you know where there going and you can alway catch them.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Had a stellar ride yesterday with fellow members Half_Crazy and Squatch. Left Southern Maryland about 0815 and headed to the blue ridge parkway...using all back roads, of course. These guys have a lot of saddle time and it shows. HC owns the twisties on his KP and Squatch makes his XCT glide like butter, riding 2 up no less. I've only got a year in the saddle and I'm sure I heard my XR say "dude, keep up...you're making me look bad". I had one close call that caused serious pucker factor and unfortunately we came across an accident scene. Hopefully the rider is OK.
I have a lot to learn and I appreciate these men talking the time and being ultra patient with me.
Cheers,
Craig

Ride your own ride not someone else's. That said, it is a good practice to ride with more skilled or experienced riders just like it is good to train for races with experienced runners. You can learn a lot and your comfort zone will get expanded.

I need a 444 mile ride but it just keeps raining this weekend. I'm jealous.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was absolutely no pressure for me to ride beyond my capability. As a matter of fact, it was one of the rules of the road we discussed before starting.
I could not have asked for better riding companions.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
There was absolutely no pressure for me to ride beyond my capability. As a matter of fact, it was one of the rules of the road we discussed before starting. I could not have asked for better riding companions.
You did great. You didn't see my 2 screw-ups... been a long winter. The major mistake was 2 miles of dirt road :D

444? That's a chip shot. Sand Wedge will get that done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cheers,
Craig
Sounds like a good time!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Sounds like a good time!
Looking for a bigger group next time... you in? I have a couple of others in mind. I had lunch with a member from Calvert, I will get him involved since the trial run is out of the way. Maybe Joe and Big D...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have been riding for 5 years now and I still can't keep up with some of my buddies who have been riding much longer. I get better every year but have learned to just enjoy the ride and that I'll catch up with them on the other side of the mountain.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looking for a bigger group next time... you in? I have a couple of others in mind. I had lunch with a member from Calvert, I will get him involved since the trial run is out of the way. Maybe Joe and Big D...
I would be down for doing a group ride. I have to admit I am a bit hesitant to do a 450 mile group ride right now though, I am coming off back surgery I had a few months ago so I am trying to ease back into the saddle. If you are doing a local ride I will def try to make it out for that one. cheers

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I would be down for doing a group ride. I have to admit I am a bit hesitant to do a 450 mile group ride right now though, I am coming off back surgery I had a few months ago so I am trying to ease back into the saddle. If you are doing a local ride I will def try to make it out for that one. cheers
When I get my bike back together I'll plan a short run around Lake Anna or something...

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You did great. You didn't see my 2 screw-ups... been a long winter. The major mistake was 2 miles of dirt road :D

444? That's a chip shot. Sand Wedge will get that done.
Yes, Sir. About half way down that road I said to myself...If I hear dueling banjos or anyone mentions a purty mouf...you'll see me get my ride on.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Navy, HC,

Sorry just found this thread. Great ride hardpan and all. Been down many a road that was not that well taken care of. Only thing my lovelyy did nto like was the dust.

Navy you did very well keeping up with us senior citizens. And as to that near death expirence, you handled it like a seasoned rider... and learned a little too.

I ride with GWRRA and have been for many a year one thing that group does a lot of is train and hone riding skills. Skills get rusty over time, so dusting off the basics is always a great way to start.

Also.. Trained reflexes win every time over luck. Knowing what to do with your machine to get the best out of it will save you some serious pain. HC is a great mentor.

Short story, took a new rider on a 3000 mile ten day ride thru New England and Nova Scotia. we coached him along the way over a CB radio. At the end of that trip I was riding as well as if not better that we were. Moral of the story, get out there and ride with folks, good riders.

Keep up the good riding Navy, looking good. You drive where your eyes look.. keep looking ahead and down the road...

So when is the next run?

Maybe a three dayer down the Blue Ridge to Cherokee and back?

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts