Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a Victory but i have not decided on a model. Im leaning towards a Hammer or 8 Ball. Is there a difference in the final drive ratio of the 5 vs the 6?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Sure is..
6th is an overdrive that drops revs by 500 at cruising speed.
Depending on your cruising speed and speeding laws you may be ok with a 5 speed.
I could certainly live with one if I had to.
Rarely use 6th its only really justified over 70 mph

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
yes OD is nice at 65 mpg its right around 2500, 70 is around 27ish00 rpms.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you don't do a lot of high speed cruising, a 5 speed will do fine. I only use 6th gear at speeds above 65mph. It runs smoother in 5th than 6th anyway.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My old Kingpin was a 5speed. Here in Arizona 80-90 mph isn't uncommon. I had no problem keeping up. They do fine. Although the 6 speed is nice over 65-70, but not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I have a 6 and I only use it if I am cruising at over 65MPH - which is rare for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the replys. I'm still undecided on a model also budget is of course a big issue. I'm really leaning towards the hammer. I want something that has a smooth ride and can handel descent in the curves.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thank you so much for the replys. I'm still undecided on a model also budget is of course a big issue. I'm really leaning towards the hammer. I want something that has a smooth ride and can handel descent in the curves.
Not knowing your riding experience or past bikes owned....

I would tell you that the large rear tire on the Hammer does take a bit more effort to rangle thru twisties.....

That said ...there are many things you can do to help this .....

I know ... I have one.

Peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not knowing your riding experience or past bikes owned....

I would tell you that the large rear tire on the Hammer does take a bit more effort to rangle thru twisties.....

That said ...there are many things you can do to help this .....

I know ... I have one.

Peter
Long story short. I use to have a Harley Superglide and a Yamaha Vmax but sold everything when I lost my riding buddy. I swore I would never ride again. 12 years later I'm starting to get the itch for a bike.

I just keep gravitating to the hammer. So far it's my favorite. I just love the look and profile of it. How comfortable are they? Riding position etc. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs. I also have a bad back from a car accident 23 years ago. I'm 43 now. I'm also having to take my wife into consideration because I want her to be comfortable as well.

Eddie

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The only thing I can say is to ride it. That's the only way you're going to know.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Long story short. I use to have a Harley Superglide and a Yamaha Vmax but sold everything when I lost my riding buddy. I swore I would never ride again. 12 years later I'm starting to get the itch for a bike.

I just keep gravitating to the hammer. So far it's my favorite. I just love the look and profile of it. How comfortable are they? Riding position etc. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs. I also have a bad back from a car accident 23 years ago. I'm 43 now. I'm also having to take my wife into consideration because I want her to be comfortable as well.

Eddie
I know the hammer looks great, but I don't like how you have to "make" it turn. The wide tire isn't for me because of that. I know all the Jackpot/Hammer guys say you get used to it though. If comfort is what you want, a Cross Country or Cross Roads would be more suitable. You can get a used one for a song.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I know the hammer looks great, but I don't like how you have to "make" it turn. The wide tire isn't for me because of that. I know all the Jackpot/Hammer guys say you get used to it though. If comfort is what you want, a Cross Country or Cross Roads would be more suitable. You can get a used one for a song.
I agree. I test rode a Hammer while I was waiting for my dealer to prep my XCT. You literally have to pull it down into corners due to the wide rear tire. However, if you don't mind, or even enjoy it, then so be it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Stock Hammer , especially the 8 ball , do require some upgrading to make more 'rideable'

The stock rear shock is stiff and doesn't rebound properly.
The stock seat is not comfy for most ....wasn't for me ...
The stock Dunlop OEM rear tire looks good ....but wears horribly , and becomes flat quickly .... Coupled with the poor shock , is a recipe for marginal handling at best.

There are great aftermarket fixes for all .... You just need to know it probably is needed.

As stated ..... Ride as many as you can ...only you can determine what is good for you ..... Coming from a Vmax .... You already know you may need to make motor upgrades also .

For me ..... The Hammer was the starting platform for the bike I knew I wanted ......and I was willing to make the needed upgrades for me in both rideability and power .

Peter

·
Registered
352 Posts
The few people I have let take my bike for a spin , are always impressed with how it rides , feels and handles.....

Just know I do have a bit of an investment into making it the bike I want .....

:)

Peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats good to know Peter. I have a couple of bikes that I'm looking at but Im also in no big hurry. Im going to take my time and see what I like. Im actually wanting to go to a Victory dealership and sit on some bikes to see how they feel. I think that will be a good first step to see what I like.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Thats good to know Peter. I have a couple of bikes that I'm looking at but Im also in no big hurry. Im going to take my time and see what I like. Im actually wanting to go to a Victory dealership and sit on some bikes to see how they feel. I think that will be a good first step to see what I like.
Most Victory dealers wont just let you sit on one. if you ask, they will let you ride them so you can really know.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
If you can afford it go to the 2011up with the improved six speed
Much quieter and 5000 mile oil changes, and of course 106 cubes.
I pulled up beside a 2010 cross roads and couldn't believe the noise from his engine at idle..your choice though

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I love 6th gear. I use it all the time where I ride. 6th gear at 3000rpm is just under 80mph. The CCT simply loves that gear and rpm range.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Your wife wont be happy on back of a Hammer for long.
If her comfort is the bottom line then a CrossRoads is the bike you need to testride.
Still get the raw wind in face and no stereo but with comfort and better ground clearance.
Ride em all and make up yr mind but if yr Wifes in the deal youll need something comfy.
The touring rear seat on my Vegas
Is fine, never get complaints though they still appreciate a fuel stop.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts