Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
K guys and gals...it's that time. I'll be hitting my 500 mile mark by this weekend and will be taking my bike in for the inspection.

Yes I did a search on this. The only info I found were folks asking if they should take it in for the initial check up. The question here isn't should I take to the dealer. This pertains more what the service entails. That being said, let's start the show:

My question is do they do anything other than change the oil, torque specs, and check belt tension?? I asked the one of the service techs at the dealer and they said other than those two items, they check the bike's computer for error codes and check for any software updates and perform them as necessary. Do they (or should they) check the tranny, clutch, compensator, any other parts to check for abnormal wear or anything?

Also,,,,the dealer is not a Vic only dealer, but a dealer of many makes. They do have a specific Vic tech, but I am also wondering...since I will be paying for it...should I take it to a Vic specific dealer or is the dealer I bought it from OK?

Thanks again!

Edit: Just realized this was in General Discussion. Admin...feel free to move to Tech. Thx.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same thing mine said. Just seems strange to me that there is no mention of a tranny/clutch inspection. I guess an inspection of the drained oil would let you know though.
I'm smart sometimes, really I am ;)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
They will make sure you have DOT approved air in the tires. Basically there's a list in your owner's manual of everything that needs to be checked for the 500 mile service. The dealer will confirm that they have checked all those items. If they do really check them all, that's something only the mechanic knows. :eek: Hopefully they're not just putting check marks in the book to justify the hefty charge.

P.S.: Thread moved to Tech & Performance forum.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
I'm wondering what they are going to charge for an oil change and a visual inspection.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I'm wondering what they are going to charge for an oil change and a visual inspection.
Oil change kit is like $68.I think shop rate was like $85 per hour last time I checked. So, if you are handy with your own tools. it's worth it to do it yourself. I just can't see paying that much for an oil change.

·
Registered
381 Posts
500 mile inspection

Same thing mine said. Just seems strange to me that there is no mention of a tranny/clutch inspection. I guess an inspection of the drained oil would let you know though.
I'm smart sometimes, really I am ;)
Get a firm price quote from your friends at "Bend Over Motor Sports":(, then call Az Victory & compare. Both dealers should know up front what it costs parts & labor. If you go to Az Vic, they service only Victory & have a "crack" tech.cheers

·
Registered
381 Posts
D.O.T approved air?

They will make sure you have DOT approved air in the tires. Basically there's a list in your owner's manual of everything that needs to be checked for the 500 mile service. The dealer will confirm that they have checked all those items. If they do really check them all, that's something only the mechanic knows. :eek: Hopefully they're not just putting check marks in the book to justify the hefty charge.

P.S.: Thread moved to Tech & Performance forum.
Crossroads:Help me out here:confused: Did Obama sign another stupid law into effect? My owners manual says nothing about having special D.O.T. air. Matter of fact, it just gives the recommended pressure. Where can I get this "special" air you are talking about? Is it only available at the dealer?:crzy: Perhaps that's why those dealers charge so much?:ltr::Ddance 1:ltr:

·
Registered
381 Posts
500 mile inspection

K guys and gals...it's that time. I'll be hitting my 500 mile mark by this weekend and will be taking my bike in for the inspection.

Yes I did a search on this. The only info I found were folks asking if they should take it in for the initial check up. The question here isn't should I take to the dealer. This pertains more what the service entails. That being said, let's start the show:

My question is do they do anything other than change the oil, torque specs, and check belt tension?? I asked the one of the service techs at the dealer and they said other than those two items, they check the bike's computer for error codes and check for any software updates and perform them as necessary. Do they (or should they) check the tranny, clutch, compensator, any other parts to check for abnormal wear or anything?

Also,,,,the dealer is not a Vic only dealer, but a dealer of many makes. They do have a specific Vic tech, but I am also wondering...since I will be paying for it...should I take it to a Vic specific dealer or is the dealer I bought it from OK?

Thanks again!

Edit: Just realized this was in General Discussion. Admin...feel free to move to Tech. Thx.
Junk: Too bad you did not get your bike from the "other guys". They threw in my first year of scheduled maintenance for free!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had mine done at Chesapeake Cycle in Annapolis MD.

It cost $211.94

Oil Filter - $12.34
Washer - $0.95
5 qt oil - $34.95
Labor - $154 ($77 an hour)
Shop Supplies $7.70
HAZMAT Disposal - $2.00

I'm not sure what the Shop Supplies were. I assume they use shop towels and pay to have them cleaned; or maybe some kitty litter??? The HAZMAT and Shop Supplies were at the bottom and I was thinking tax. I should've asked but I honestly didn't look at the bill close enough until I got home.

I did the 2500 and 5K mile service myself. The first time I bought the oil and filter it cost $50.86
Oil Filter - $11.99
5 qt jug of oil - $35.99
Tax - $2.88

Second time it cost $55.06
Oil Filter - $11.99
5 1 qt oil bottles - $7.99 ea $39.95 total
Tax - $3.12

They didn't have the 5 qt jug so I ended up paying $4 more for the oil. But hey, they did throw in the $1 crush washer for free :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 500 cost me $135. and it would be the same for the 5k maintenance. Ether my dealer is very efficient or somethings missing. I believe the former. He has a reputation of being a very good dealer (quality of work and fair prices). thumb up

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hold on to your jaws guys, I called the dealer I purchased the bike from and they said that the 500 mile service is 275 to 300 out the door. A Victory only dealer wants 300+parts. Parts=70 bones. So 370. I will most likely call another dealer just to verify that last price tag.

Needless to say I'm pretty upset at both prices. The purchase dealer said it takes 2.5 to 3 hours for the service. I know oil is about 30 min AT MOST, so 2 to 2.5 hours for the rest. In doing the math, and taking into account the 70 for parts, that puts their labor rate around 70/hour. I'm at a loss here, I really want to stick to the manufacturers recommended method of service. Spending 3bills two weeks after spending 12k is a bit disconcerting to put it politely (I had a more colorful description for it).

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this one myself. Would much rather spend 300 on groceries to feed the wife and kids. Call me kooky, call me waky, but that's how I see it. I don't have the tools (the ones recommended in the manual) to check belt tension. I've changed oil in various cars more time than I can count, so I think I can handle that one. Probably go pick up a quality torque bar as I don't think the Harbor Freight special is very accurate. I don't have DOT approved air as Crossroads suggested, but I do have means to obtain SNELL approved oil ;). The bike is running great though. I check the belt tension every morning just eyeballing it and comparing it to the first day. Point being is I don't think there is a need to spend 300 for these hooligans to change the oil, tighten some bolts, and say "it's good". The only thing lacking would be the computer diagnostics and the possibility of a firmware update for the CPU. I doubt there has been an update since November though. Could be wrong, been known to be.

I know there has been roughly 1million threads on this subject, so I don't want to clutter the board with another one anymore than I already have. If anyone has any thoughts though, you know I'm open. Also, in some past threads it was mentioned that it could possibly void the Vic warranty if the service is not performed by an authorized Vic dealer. True or Fasle?? My other conundrum is the fact that this IS my daily, so I really do need it running tip top. As I've said before, since I'm new to motorcycles, I hear all sorts of noises from the bike that I don't know if they are normal, or warnings. Hmmmm...decisions decisions.

Thanks for input everyone.
I'm still beside myself...300..really?!?!
Might take Depot Picker's route he mentioned a couple posts back

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Hold on to your jaws guys, I called the dealer I purchased the bike from and they said that the 500 mile service is 275 to 300 out the door. A Victory only dealer wants 300+parts. Parts=70 bones. So 370. I will most likely call another dealer just to verify that last price tag.

Needless to say I'm pretty upset at both prices. The purchase dealer said it takes 2.5 to 3 hours for the service. I know oil is about 30 min AT MOST, so 2 to 2.5 hours for the rest. In doing the math, and taking into account the 70 for parts, that puts their labor rate around 70/hour. I'm at a loss here, I really want to stick to the manufacturers recommended method of service. Spending 3bills two weeks after spending 12k is a bit disconcerting to put it politely (I had a more colorful description for it).

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this one myself. Would much rather spend 300 on groceries to feed the wife and kids. Call me kooky, call me waky, but that's how I see it. I don't have the tools (the ones recommended in the manual) to check belt tension. I've changed oil in various cars more time than I can count, so I think I can handle that one. Probably go pick up a quality torque bar as I don't think the Harbor Freight special is very accurate. I don't have DOT approved air as Crossroads suggested, but I do have means to obtain SNELL approved oil ;). The bike is running great though. I check the belt tension every morning just eyeballing it and comparing it to the first day. Point being is I don't think there is a need to spend 300 for these hooligans to change the oil, tighten some bolts, and say "it's good". The only thing lacking would be the computer diagnostics and the possibility of a firmware update for the CPU. I doubt there has been an update since November though. Could be wrong, been known to be.

I know there has been roughly 1million threads on this subject, so I don't want to clutter the board with another one anymore than I already have. If anyone has any thoughts though, you know I'm open. Also, in some past threads it was mentioned that it could possibly void the Vic warranty if the service is not performed by an authorized Vic dealer. True or Fasle?? My other conundrum is the fact that this IS my daily, so I really do need it running tip top. As I've said before, since I'm new to motorcycles, I hear all sorts of noises from the bike that I don't know if they are normal, or warnings. Hmmmm...decisions decisions.

Thanks for input everyone.
I'm still beside myself...300..really?!?!
Might take Depot Picker's route he mentioned a couple posts back
That's someone justifying the butt raping they took from the dealer doing a $300 oil change.
They cannot do that.

Save your receipts and you'll have no problem. I've never has a dealer service done in 25+ years of riding and have NEVER had any problem with a warranty repair.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Vin, that's all I needed to know. I'll be doing this one myself unless there is a competent Vic mechanic that will do this under 2bills...and that's stretching it. Now way am I paying these motherfucking assponys that much for and oil change and to turn a wrench.

I'm not disputing the hourly charge, or even the parts. I understand labor rates, I'm in the service business so 70/hour is fair to me. ****, I charge 100/hour for my time, and that's a bargain in my industry. What I do not understand is the 2.5 to 3 hour estimated time this is reported to take. I'm a pretty creative and imaginative guy. I'm a musician and an artist. So I can imagine A LOT! I cannot imagine what would take them 2.5 hours. Lets see here, for a mech worth their salt I'm trying to break this down:

oil change: 15 min
check all nuts/bolts: 30min tops, most likely less for certified Vic mech. I mean, how different are Victories from one another, not very
check belt tension: <1 min
CPU diagnostics: MAYBE 30 min, but I only see 15 (I have a strong background in these kinds of things as well).

We are roughly at 1 hour.
70/hour, 70 for parts. 140 to 150 max.

If I'm missing something, please tell me.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
My dealer said about $200 as well. Can't afford it right now and have 600 miles on my cross roads, just did the oil/filter myself today.. the oil looked ugly.

I'll have the dealer do their thing and bite the bullet... hopefully they'll be as meticulous as they say they are with the 500 mile check.. checking torques on bolts etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lube or grease the ends of the clutch cable at every oil change. Make sure all battery fittings are tight, and maybe check shock adjustment. Check tire pressure and condition of tires. This is just simple stuff you are not mentioning, but needs to be done.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I saw this one coming when I purchased and made the dealer throw it in with my deal. Can't see why we should pay them to make sure Victory built the bike right and the dealer prepped it properly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw this one coming when I purchased and made the dealer throw it in with my deal. Can't see why we should pay them to make sure Victory built the bike right and the dealer prepped it properly.
Agreed.

Hindsight's a bitch ain't it?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
That is really steep, mine was $110 and took a little under an hour! Your quote seems to be for a lot more time than it should be.

Hourly rates will vary betweens dealers but they should all use the same maintenance (or service) time schedule. The schedule defines every maintenance or service type and tells how long each should take to accomplish.

Call other dealers and ask how long the 500 mile service takes. Once you get times from 3-4 dealers call your dealer back and tell them how long other dealers are taking. If the price doesn't drop check you oil level, top off if required and drive to the next closest dealer that will charge less. Don't put the family on a top ramen diet to maintain your bike but don't neglect the maintenance either.

Note that Victory oil isn't cheap even when doing it yourself but you should be able to get an oil kit, crush washer and filter for around $60.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts