Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 620 miles on my bike now. Due to work and distance from the nearest dealer I won't be able to make it to get the first oil change done for atleast another 2 weeks. So if I were to keep riding back and forth to work I would probably put another 200 miles on it from that and the dealer is about 100-150 miles away.

Should I just park the bike and wait until I can get up to the dealer to get an oil change or not worry too much about getting up to about 1000 miles on it before I get it done?

I have thought about changing the oil myself but I have never changed the oil in anything and really don't want to risk doing something stupid to my brand new bike.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The 500 mile service is more than just the oil change. They go through the bike and make sure that all bolts are still tight to spec. I personally would not keep riding as the break in period of the engine gets a lot of crap in the oil. The more you ride the more you recirculate that crap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I had been thinking as far as the oil change part goes. I know that there is more than just an oil change at 500 miles and I do know that I really would prefer that a tech do the oil change and and inspection. It just sucks to have to wait for about 2 weeks before I can ride again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have about 620 miles on my bike now. Due to work and distance from the nearest dealer I won't be able to make it to get the first oil change done for atleast another 2 weeks. So if I were to keep riding back and forth to work I would probably put another 200 miles on it from that and the dealer is about 100-150 miles away.

Should I just park the bike and wait until I can get up to the dealer to get an oil change or not worry too much about getting up to about 1000 miles on it before I get it done?

I have thought about changing the oil myself but I have never changed the oil in anything and really don't want to risk doing something stupid to my brand new bike.

get a filter and the oil and change it yourself, its not rocket science, remember.... lefty loosey right ti tighty , don't loose the oil drain plug gasket, the old one will work again [ this one time] look in your owners manual for what weight of oil, some prefer simi-synthetic , some full synthetic, be sure its jaso rated for motorcycles NOT automotive, the oil drain plug torque is 15 ft. lbs. [ at least my 09 vegas is, and i can't imagine they would be different bike to bike, its the same motor ] this way you can continue to ride, just be sure to get it into your dealer asap and remember to buy some extra oil drain plug gaskets, if you plan on changing the oil yourself, in the future.

steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts