Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am at 300 miles as of today. I have been thinking about the 500 mile dealer service. My dealer quoted me $280 for it. They said it was a fluid change and 121 point inspection. I feel like that is outrageous for an oil change and to make sure all my nuts and bolts are still tight.

My question is.....have you all done this?

I guess i still have a bad taste in my mouth since i asked how much a service manual would be and they told me $130. :crzy: :crzy:

I do not mind paying for it if it's a must and if it will help prolong the life of my bike, but if its not then I'm going to buy the oil change kit and do it myself.

Any thoughts and opinions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just did it myself... if your mechanically inclined at all you'll be just fine.

Sent from my A500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Click on any of Bbobs posts and you can download a service manual. Note that the host site isn't very Internet Explorer friendly and works much better with Mozilla. Once you get the download you can do the service yourself.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had the dealer do my first service- I have done all the oil changes since.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll do it for 279.99:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll do it for 279.99:D
I bet you would BRIAN!!! thumb up

I already have the service manual that Kingsly posted a while back.

Are there any REASONS i shouldn't do this myself?!?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its amazing the difference prices that are charged for service.
My 500 mile service cost 190.00, My 5000 service will cost me $125.00. I should feel grateful mine are reasonable here in Nebraska. I did hear where a guy was charged $500 here in the state. I am not mechanically talented but I can change oil...Ride Safe all....

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think i paid around 120 for my service and they filled the Judge with amsoil also.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its amazing the difference prices that are charged for service.
My 500 mile service cost 190.00, My 5000 service will cost me $125.00. I should feel grateful mine are reasonable here in Nebraska. I did hear where a guy was charged $500 here in the state. I am not mechanically talented but I can change oil...Ride Safe all....
I'm the same way....I can change the oil no problem, but if all they are doing besides that is checking fluids and tightening bolts, I'll hold off! :ltr:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
They told me they checked the torque of every nut and bolt... that might be a hastle, and some research for the non-mechanic...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They told me they checked the torque of every nut and bolt... that might be a hastle, and some research for the non-mechanic...
Now that definitely makes sense, this is why I love this site! Getting answers lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm at 580, called for an appointment, they said they can get me in next Thursday. Should I stop riding for a week or should it be ok? I imagine I'll be around 800 miles then.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think i paid around 120 for my service and they filled the Judge with amsoil also.
See, 120-150 is a little more reasonable, still expensive but i would be more than happy to pay 120 because i feel that is fair, but guess what, doesnt matter what i "think". :(

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm at 580, called for an appointment, they said they can get me in next Thursday. Should I stop riding for a week or should it be ok? I imagine I'll be around 800 miles then.

Thoughts?
IMO, you'll be okay. But really man. Buy the oil change kit for your bike and do it yourself.
1. Remove the oil drain plug, and let the oil drain. (Preferably in a pan)
2. Replace plug and new O ring
3. Remove old filter, and replace with new filter.
4. Fill with new oil.

Done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hit 1000 miles in the first month that I owned mine... and did the oil change at 1000 instead of 500 miles. I just bought 5 quarts of amsoil and a filter from the dealer and did it myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bro! you just hit 300? Man you gotta come riding with me. I am almost at 1500 and just bought it a month ago and its been raining like crazy!!! Plus I like to waste gas on smiles. Lets get it in!!Yea my dealership was 150 out the door for the 500 service and I sleep better at night also...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Had my XR for 2 months and she's now reading 2900 on the clock. Be more, cept we got rained out on our trip last weekend.

Bolt torque specs are listed in the service manual. When I did my 500 mile oil change, I torqued the motor mount bolts, the front axle bold and fork pinch bolts, aligned the rear axle, adjusted belt tension, and torqued the rear axle nut. I had to tighten the axle adjustment nuts by feel since my torque wrench is really inaccurate under 10 ft-lbs.

I would also have torqued the steering stem head nut, but apparently there is a rather unusual procedure for this and I didn't have the right size socket anyway (and this did surprise me). So I just pay attention for looseness or binding and call it good.

I'm not opposed to taking the bike in for its 1st service, and was in fact going to do so, but I'm 2.5 hours from the nearest dealer, and they couldn't get me in when I was in the area. Figured I'd just take a stab at it myself. Got the belt tension gauge at the Harley dealer for 37.99, which was comparable to what I found it for at various websites and didn't have to wait for shipping. Had to drive all over down to find a 1/2"-drive 5/8" allen bit tho, and paid enough for it I almost could've bought a set that had it included at Harbor Freight. Oh well.

EDIT: worst part was trying to get the back wheel of the ground with a couple floor jacks and a prayer. Next purchase: motorcycle lift.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had my XR for 2 months and she's now reading 2900 on the clock. Be more, cept we got rained out on our trip last weekend.

Bolt torque specs are listed in the service manual. When I did my 500 mile oil change, I torqued the motor mount bolts, the front axle bold and fork pinch bolts, aligned the rear axle, adjusted belt tension, and torqued the rear axle nut. I had to tighten the axle adjustment nuts by feel since my torque wrench is really inaccurate under 10 ft-lbs.

I would also have torqued the steering stem head nut, but apparently there is a rather unusual procedure for this and I didn't have the right size socket anyway (and this did surprise me). So I just pay attention for looseness or binding and call it good.

I'm not opposed to taking the bike in for its 1st service, and was in fact going to do so, but I'm 2.5 hours from the nearest dealer, and they couldn't get me in when I was in the area. Figured I'd just take a stab at it myself. Got the belt tension gauge at the Harley dealer for 37.99, which was comparable to what I found it for at various websites and didn't have to wait for shipping. Had to drive all over down to find a 1/2"-drive 5/8" allen bit tho, and paid enough for it I almost could've bought a set that had it included at Harbor Freight. Oh well.

EDIT: worst part was trying to get the back wheel of the ground with a couple floor jacks and a prayer. Next purchase: motorcycle lift.
Well said! I was going to post a response, but you got all of it. thumb up

Taking the time to do this yourself will pay off in the knowledge that you gain about your bike. Knowing where all of these bolts are, and why they are important to monitor is invaluable. If you ever find yourself stranded, you will at least have an idea of where to start helping yourself. Laying under your bike, along the side of the road is not the place to gain this knowledge.

Ultimately, when I do these things myself, I take ownership of my destiny. I'm not hoping that someone else knew what they were doing.

p.s.... I have a Bulldog lift. Definitely worth the investment if you are looking for a recommendation. I hoisted my Gold Wing all the time on it, and it never wimpered under that load. Lifts my Cross Roads without breaking a sweat. :cool:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts