Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next June I'm planning a 5000 mile ride from California to Tennessee for a family reunion, and back. (3 weeks)( I may do a few nights camping )
I want to start preparing items over the next several months for and on the bike before I go.
My 2014 XC currently has 26K miles and will be around 30K next June
I already have:
  • SaveUrRide Clutch cable
  • A good Tool Kit
  • A compact 12v Air Compressor.
  • Fox hand pump for the shock
  • Ride-On tire sealer in both tires.
  • A tall Long Ride Windshield that limits buffeting.
  • Premier Level AAA
What else would you recommend?

I may need new tires before I go. I currently have an E3 in front and a Commander II on the rear, in good shape, but I'm not sure what they may look like by next summer. Since a lot of the trip might be super slab I'm not against going darkside, but I really like the Commander II and have been a long time fan on previous bikes.
I'm thinking I should have a spare relay and fuses.
Bike cover?
???
???
What would you "Not Leave Home Without It"?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yes to your Bike cover... and add to that list toilet paper 8) bit of your fav bug windshield product.... and ride safe....Trip sounds AWESOME you can keeps us posted 8)

Rob

·
Registered
293 Posts
I rode a Suzuki GS 550L cross country from Virginia Beach, Va. to Hemet, Ca. (south of LA) and then up to Myrtle Point, Or. back in 1986. I had all my worldly possession in a big sea bag strapped to the back, a small can of gas, a boom box strapped to my handle bars, and just short of 2 hundred dollars cash, no credit cards, no cellphones, no fancy GPS. Took me 7 days to get to Hemet, and another day and a half rid to Myrtle Point. Had a bit of a miss hap along the way (never try to ride for 16 hours straight, let alone do it on a bike with no fairing) but still made it in one piece.

Suggestions for what you may have missed.

Have you seen a shrink? :grin

·
Registered
290 Posts
That will be a great trip, good luck. The longest I have ridden nonstop was from Central point Oregon to Salt lake City Utah. Was fun but very long day and I was not as old.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,761 Posts
Sounds like a great trip.
If you are carrying a compressor add mushroom plugs. Ride-on doesn't always work.

Maybe add a trunk if you don't have one? Storage is nice for trips.

I don't know anything about AAA but I guess that's good to get you to the nearest Honda shop for a Goldwing tire. :)

Definitely post some pics along the way.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will be a great trip, good luck. The longest I have ridden nonstop was from Central point Oregon to Salt lake City Utah. Was fun but very long day and I was not as old.
I'll be 63 next year, I'm hoping to limit the riding to 10 hours a day with breaks every few hours and hopefully about 500-600 miles a day. (in a car I easily do 16-18 hours at a day but I know that's different)

The trip is still in the "Thinking about it/Planning for it" stage.

I may do a 6+ hour ride up to Sacramento in a few weeks to test my capabilities and see if I really can still do this.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Dont leave with marginal tires. Last thing I would want to do is look for someone in an unfamiliar place to change a tire. A fresh oil change rite before you leave and you should be good to go. Sometime before you go check the brake fluids and flush if needed. For me (I always find it along the way) good rain gear. Chap stick and sun block. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Twice the money and half the clothes you are thinking of taking. Really! Think layering your clothes and gear. On the road, no one knows what you wore yesterday. Motels have guest laundries where you do laundry in the evening, so you need no more than 4 days worth of underwear.
Carry a spare key on you, in a pocket. If you intend to wash or wipe down your bike at a motel, ask the desk for rags - they have plenty. Fer krissakes, do not use your room towels. Only asshole bikers do that. Locals know the good eatin' places, ask 'em. Gas is cheaper away from Interstates. Avoid high fat breakfasts and lunches. Even fast food places have salads. You'll avoid the mid afternoon doldrums.
If you are a veteran, carry your DD-214, many motels / hotels give that a huge discount. Don't hesitate to flash it.
Pack your foul weather gear where you can get to it fast, including waterproof gloves. Take pain killers like amphetamine or ibuprofen. If you are morning coffee drinker, Just a little, as it'll dehydrate and make you pee a lot.
Speaking of dehydration, cover your skin. Exposed skin dries out and as a 4X cancer survivor, I have seen melanoma cases that'll turn your stomach. The sun ain't your friend. Drink lots of water - this is very important. I've seen riders pass out on the road cuz they didn't.
Lastly; It's good that you have that AAA, they can be a life/ trip saver. At freeway rest stops and interchange cafes, you can grab motel discount coupon books - get two, you'll find out why, You'll often get a room at half what that poor slob next to you at the counter is paying.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Lots of good advice but one important missing piece.

Find a 14" long piece of 2x10 with about 150 thumbtacks glued to it, pointed side up.
Sit on said board for four hours every day starting six months prior to your departure.
Depart knowing you are fully prepared to complete your planned ride. :cool:

Reactions: ObiSteve and RICZ

·
Registered
257 Posts
Next June I'm planning a 5000 mile ride from California to Tennessee for a family reunion, and back. (3 weeks)( I may do a few nights camping )

What else would you recommend?

What would you "Not Leave Home Without It"?
A full wallet, an open mind and a friendly smile. They will all help a lot.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,761 Posts
Lots of good advice but one important missing piece.

Find a 14" long piece of 2x10 with about 150 thumbtacks glued to it, pointed side up.
Sit on said board for four hours every day starting six months prior to your departure.
Depart knowing you are fully prepared to complete your planned ride. :cool:
Okay I laughed out loud from that.

Definitely worth finding what combo of seat / pad / etc works for longer rides before that trip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
...Definitely worth finding what combo of seat / pad / etc works for longer rides before that trip.
Have done several long trips including one planned three day (each way) in which the ride out turned into a two day when we did 1026 mi. in 21 hours the second day. So, I've had plenty of practice finding what provides my arse the most livable condition. So far, my go to is an Air Hawk. Just make sure you fill it according their recommendations and do not overfill it.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
If you're near Chattanooga, look me up.

Your trip sounds excellent and you've been given some great advice.

Main things for me: good tires that can easily complete the trip, less clothes than you think you'll need and a credit card with lots of room on it 'just in case'. I've had AAA RV+ for many years. The RV service means they'll tow a motorcycle up to 200 miles.

Your Victory likely won't need anything but gas for the entire trip. I did a 3500 mile trip in July. All my CCT needed was gas and it now has over 70K miles on it. Keep up to date with common sense maintenance and the bike will very likely be just fine.

See as many sights as you can along the way and always, always ask the locals where to eat. Once you get to that restaurant, ask them what they're known for and have that. Try to avoid fast food and carbonated drinks as much as possible while riding. One can of your favorite spray bike polish is likely more than you'll need.

I've bought and tried many of the 'best' tire plugs. The only one I think is worth having in my saddlebag is the 'old fashion' strips. The entire 'kit' is under $6 at WalMart and they're still the most reliable tire plug there is. Make sure you have the glue and a knife to cut the ends off if you need to actually plug a tire.

Reactions: CanuckRob and RICZ

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have done several long trips including one planned three day (each way) in which the ride out turned into a two day when we did 1026 mi. in 21 hours the second day. So, I've had plenty of practice finding what provides my arse the most livable condition. So far, my go to is an Air Hawk. Just make sure you fill it according their recommendations and do not overfill it.
One of the thing's I forgot to mention was I do have an AirHawk seat cushion and I do have the sticky rope kind of tire plugs ( I have had to plug my motorcycle tire on the side of the road before) however after watching a few videos the Mushroom rubber plugs look good and I'll pick some up.
I also carry extra sunglasses and clear & yellow safety glasses in my bags.

I'm seriously considering going darkside or double dark before the trip.
Any recommendations for a rain suit? 1 piece, 2 piece?

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Without a doubt a two piece rainsuit. Everything you pack should do double or triple duty and a rain jacket can be used as a wind breaker. The pants should have full length zippers on the outsides of both legs for ease of entry and exit.
Be sure to report how that double dark side works for you, especially if you've never done it before.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I double darksided a few months ago. I’m on my second rear tire on the front and would never choose to go back. I’m on my first run flat car tire on the back and may not go back to a MC tire out back either.
I’ve posted about this on a few different threads so the pertinent details are readily available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bib overhaul style rain pants
scent free baby wipes
DBPower Jump Starter, this may be overkill. was on a two week ride several years ago and had a voltage regulator that would not keep the battery charged up. This came in handy.
water proof 6" leather boots and break them in ahead of time.
pack all your stuff in zip lock bags.
besides keeping rain gear on top. consider where to put stuff. I did a two month tour around the lower 48 states in 2013 just after I retired. It took me about 3-4 days to remember which compartment I put stuff.
water bottle in case you break down and have to wait.

good luck !!

·
Registered
117 Posts
What they all wrote.

I use a plastic bag to cover my seat at night, which is the only thing I am worried about getting wet. I also bring a couple padlocks for the rotors (with extra keys). I take truck tire seal in a can, instead of a pump, and have tire plugs as well.

There is a thread on the site about what we carry on our bikes, which contained a bunch of good ideas.

Extra key, flashlight, fuses, extra Headlight bulb if you do not have spots.

I would leave with new oil/filter, a recent service, and good rubber.

The formula I use for travel is that I will average 40 mph on 2 lane roads and 60 mph on the slab. Over the 3 decades I have been touring that formula has been very reliable for me in planning the amount of time I will be spending between stops. The only variance I ever experienced was on Colorado 2 lane roads. They were so good I flew.

As shown in the pic, my cat is always protecting my property while on high alert.

Have a great trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Our rain suits are like this one. They work well. I think they actually came from Jafrum who is now out of business. As was mentioned the other day about packing. Nobody knows ya, so if you wear the same jeans a couple days, who cares. We use the "space saver" vacuum bags. Two fold use. Compresses you clean duds and keeps them dry. Then as you use clothes and have room put your dirty ones in there and they wont stink up you bag of clean duds. Also the last couple years I have been glad I also took chap stick and some lubricating eye drops. The wind seems to dry my eyes out more now.

Reactions: SportyDoug
1 - 20 of 37 Posts