Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just checked the belt on my gunner after 1000km. According to the book, 6mm at 10lbs force is the requirement. I think i was probably 1-1.5 but the belt felt good. SO I adjusted it to 6mm EXACTLY. Taken readings ever 90 degrees on the belt and was 6mm all around. So went out for a ride and first thing I noticed was a strange noise around the drive gears. Came back after a while and checked the belt right away (I know don't check when belt is hot). I couldn't even move the belt 1mm! is was so flipping tight it wouldn't take a genius to figure it wasn't good. So my question is where did Victory get 6mm tension? I am new to belts but just feeling how tight the belt was with my hand after the ride I knew that wasn't right. Any ideas? Thx all

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ok, did you follow the manual , was the tire off the ground , or not suppose to be by chance ? after riding and they warm up they tighten up , if the bike was in the air and adjusted , when you set it down it will tighten.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i set my 13 hammer to spec + it also seemed tight, after adding a longer penske shock similar to S model i used that spec, seemed tight so i just added a little slack, no noise except when it rubs against pulley, if so readjust. i feel its better to be a little loose as not to wear the bearings from too much tension

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was under the impression based on my service manual that only the 8 BALL models run at 6mm deflection and all other models are 12mm . The 8 Ball models all are lower then the rest hence the tighter belt deflection . My belt is set perfectly , I even lost some finger doing it , after a long ride my belt is tight too , but still has a little deflection .... Very little . If its making noise after a few miles its too tight , better make certain your model doesn't require 12mm of deflection , and that should be done with a gauge at 10LBS of force in the center of the belt between the pulleys . Good luck !cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Loosen your belt up some and get back to riding.
I've never used a belt tension tool in my life and I've never had a problem with it's too tight cause if it was I would just loosened it up some and carried on. If it's out of alignment I just re-align it. Sorry to sound so dry but it's really that simple.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Ok just checked the belt on my gunner after 1000km. According to the book, 6mm at 10lbs force is the requirement.
6 mm Yowza!

Spec for X bikes is 32 mm (1.25"). I wonder if they forgot the 3 in front of the 6 in your manual. Even with an inch of play at ambient temps, mine seems taught as it could be once warmed up.

·
13,236 Posts
I would have play in my belt when sitting of the floor and checking it.
Layed across the seat and rechecked it and belt was tight.
Keep in mind once you sit on the bike it changes belt tension.
Next when riding rear pulley will get hot and expand so that will tighten your belt to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I will call Polaris and find out what it is supposed to be. I can just say 6mm in not right. Made a bad noise. That right there says it all. I loosened it today to about 10-11 mm and it still doesn't feel right but a whole heck of a lot better than 6mm. Will see what its like when its hot with a 10 mm setting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts