Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY looks like a new forum? lol very kool

i am a sport bike rider (ducati) that is looking for a cruiser and my search have brought me victory. i have looked at all other bikes and brands both jap, euro and amarican and i have going to go amarican to keep with the cuiser style.

so for me price point is a factor as i am keeping my other bike. so i have been comparing mainly with the harley davidsons and victory has kicked harleys ass up and down the line! the only harley with any potentionl is the springer with 110CI with a wapping price of 27K+, even if it was 18K i would be on the fence lol

so the 8-ball vs vegas vs jackpot? i loove the blackout look of the 8-ball, but what is up with the 5speed if there was a 6 i would not be doing much more thinking however the 6speed is almost a must. and when comparing the vegas and jackpot for the extra money the jackpot is looking very kool with the 250mm tire! but i would still like the have it blacked out and again the price point comes up with all the extras.

for me the upgrade exhaust is a must! and maybe hydro clutch

i have never riden a victory and i am unable to right now as i am in canada, so i am asking for your personal opinons on all the virtorys and other brands and bikes you might be formilure with... when it comes down to style and price and preformance VICTORY is it (i think) i can go on and on about bikes allday but i will spare you lol and try to keep it shorter next time

thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned 2 Harleys, and 2 Victorys. Harley makes a very nice bike. No one can take that away from them. But the value per dollar spent is in Victory's favor, hands down. They handle great, have awesome power, and they are different. You definately won't lose your bike in the crowd, that's for sure!

My Harley bikes were an '05 883R Sportster, and a '91 1200 Sportster chopper. While not tops of the line in the Harley world, they were great bikes, although the 883R left quite a bit to be desired in the performance catagory. Good torque, but upper RPM horsepower was surely lacking, and the footpeg placement was just all wrong. Not enough rearward for a sporting type rider, and not enough forward for a cruiser. Just all wrong. It felt like I was riding a moped :p.

My Victory bikes have been an '04 Touring Cruiser, and I currently have an '06 8 Ball. I can't think of a single thing that I don't like about my 8 Ball, although I will eventually change a few items out to personalize it to my tastes. Items like lowering links for the rear, and maybe some billet footpegs and handgrips. These are truly great bikes right out of the box.

I would love to own a Ness Jackpot, but it wasn't in the cards for me money wise. Maybe one day I'll get one, but for now the 8 Ball suits my style just fine! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good choice on Victory!!! You won't go wrong with either on ( vegas or jackpot). I also like the 8-Ball but the 6th gear means more then looks.

I live in iowa and have a dealer bout 40 miles away(not many dealers out there tho yet!) I bought a new 07 vegas in December at R/J perfomance in Ottumwa Iowa and what a great experance that was :) They gave me a deal I couldn't turn down as they want Bikes out in my area.

I pondered over the vegas and the jackpot, but felt as this bike is more for my wife then me, the vegas would be the better choice. They are basicly the same bike cept for the rear tire and man :eek: do they have power!!!

I ride a 06 Harley Davidson RoadKing Classic with bout $4000.00 in performance extras added to it, and this Vegas will kick its ass all over the road!! All I had done to the Vegas was stage one exhaust (sweepers they really look cool) and this bike will break the rear lose in all gears up thru 5th something my roadking won't do!

Don't get me wrong I love my Harley very much it has a ride that can't be matched and I will buy more Harleys but Harley dealers won't and don't treat there customers like Victory does... I rec'd 1000.00 off MSRP rite away and then gave me 1000.00 worth of victory parts, then gave me the stage 0ne kit 1000.00 value and installed all parts at no labor charge. On top of it all then then thru in a leather victory jacket for my wife (300.00) at no charge . Needless to say I said deal! $3300.00 savings.

You can't go wrong with either choice as I know you'll love your bike as I love ours. Now I just have to get my Wife off the bike so I can ride it.:p

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good choice on Victory!!! You won't go wrong with either on ( vegas or jackpot). I also like the 8-Ball but the 6th gear means more then looks.

I live in iowa and have a dealer bout 40 miles away(not many dealers out there tho yet!) I bought a new 07 vegas in December at R/J perfomance in Ottumwa Iowa and what a great experance that was :) They gave me a deal I couldn't turn down as they want Bikes out in my area.

I pondered over the vegas and the jackpot, but felt as this bike is more for my wife then me, the vegas would be the better choice. They are basicly the same bike cept for the rear tire and man :eek: do they have power!!!

I ride a 06 Harley Davidson RoadKing Classic with bout $4000.00 in performance extras added to it, and this Vegas will kick its ass all over the road!! All I had done to the Vegas was stage one exhaust (sweepers they really look cool) and this bike will break the rear lose in all gears up thru 5th something my roadking won't do!

Don't get me wrong I love my Harley very much it has a ride that can't be matched and I will buy more Harleys but Harley dealers won't and don't treat there customers like Victory does... I rec'd 1000.00 off MSRP rite away and then gave me 1000.00 worth of victory parts, then gave me the stage 0ne kit 1000.00 value and installed all parts at no labor charge. On top of it all then then thru in a leather victory jacket for my wife (300.00) at no charge . Needless to say I said deal! $3300.00 savings.

You can't go wrong with either choice as I know you'll love your bike as I love ours. Now I just have to get my Wife off the bike so I can ride it.:p

Wow, what dealer was it? Im in Omaha but am willing to drive and ride back for a great deal like that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
8-Ball

dnk63 got an outstanding deal, we can't even come close to matching that. The Vegas 8-Ball seems to be a very popular bike at the dealership I work at. The young guys like the $13350.00 out the door price for an 08' and we have plenty on hand including the Kingpin 8-Balls. I try and take a different bike home every week and my favorite thus far has been the Hammer-S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Besides the '08 Vegas I now own, I've had an HD sportster and dirtbikes before that. From the first ride, my Vegas has felt like it was made for me. It handles great, has tons of power in any gear, and just feels solid. I'm close to having it broken-in and can't wait to get my Stage 1 kit. My Sportster sounded great with Screaming Eagle pipes, so I really can't get into the stock Vegas sound. In addition to it's ridability, the Vegas looks great in black and chrome. I bought Victory first of all for its solid reputaion of reliability, but it's nice also to stand out in a crowded sea of Road Kings everywhere you go!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I'm not sure where you're at as far as a purchase goes, but I have been riding my '07 8-Ball since August 14th of 2007, have put over 12,000 miles on it in that time, and I can't get enough of it. I looked into adding a 6th gear to mine and the cost was outrageous so I'm going for an overdrive pulley instead.

That aside, I can definitely say that even with a 5-speed gearbox, the 8-Ball has been a terrific bike. It has been great on every road trip and just keeps going. It doesn't really matter what sort of riding is involved either, be it highway or back roads, the 8-Ball is just a great, flexible bike to ride anywhere that also gets decent gas mileage. Adding the overdrive pulley will increase the mpg nicely, too, so if you decide on the 8-Ball, the OD pulley is a cost-effective solution to the lack of a 6th gear.

No matter what you get, enjoy your ride, be safe, keep the shiny side up, and the rubber side down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just faced with the exact same situation. I decided to go with the Vegas 8-ball. Why?

1. I prefered the looks of the 8-ball. In fact, when I walked into the dealership, I had no idea about the various models. I walked by, looking at each one talking to the sales person. Then I saw the 8-ball. As soon as I saw it, I told the salesperson, "That's the one. How much more is the black bike"? That's when she told me it was actually cheaper. :cool: Based on the look, there wasn't any competition.

2. Buying the 8-ball gives a couple grand of "customization" for the same $. Personally, I started with the exhaust and I am going through to figure out where I am spending the rest of the money. I will likely go for a different seat, handgrips and footpegs. . .of course, even after making these changes and having the shop install them I will still have more mods to go to make up for the money I saved by going with the 8-ball.

3. The 6-speed is obviously the major drawback. If my driving requirements were different, it certainly would have made the decision closer. Personally, I don't spend my ride time on the highway so a 6th gear isn't such a big deal for me. However, I am planning to ride the bike into work much more frequently next summer and that's roughly an hour each way. If I feel the 5th gear isn't enough, I will go with the pulley change which will lower the highway RPM's by about 300. Again, for my personal application, I doubt I will feel the need, but it's nice to know the option is there and that it's so cheap. Keep in mind, I purchased my first bike about 5 months ago, a Suzuki C50. It is a 5 speed and it absolutely felt fine cruising at 70mph and the major discomfort going faster was based on the wind and the lack of a windshield, not the gearing.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Rhogue, I ride my bike to work when I can and unfortunately it requires riding the freeway in order to get to work on time, so adding the OD pulley is a definite mod. My problem right now is that with the cold weather now here, I don't have the time to warm the bike up. It's a drag. However, on anything other than freeways, the 5-speed tranny is great. Between 55 and 60 mph I'm getting 50+ mpg.

It was interesting to read how you selected the 8-Ball. I didn't see one in a shop, I saw it on the Victory site and knew that was the one I wanted. The lower price was a nice thing to see after the fact, but from the moment I saw the 8-Ball I knew it was the bike for me. Then came the visit to the shop and simply having a seat on the 8-Ball; it was, and still is, the bike for me.

The Stage 1 upgrade is definitely one I can recommend and the other mods you mentioned such as pegs and grips are also solid choices. And after the amount of riding I have done, changing out the stock seat is highly recommended, too. I attached a picture of my bike with the mods (before the addition of highway pegs) so you can see what your 8-Ball might look like.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My ride to work is also mostly interstate. I wonder if I could just have the shop add the overdrive pulley when they assemble the bike?

How difficult is it to remove the windshield on your bike? What about the saddlebags? I wouldn't mind adding the windshield for my drive to the office, but, I definitely don't want to leave it on the bike. I absolutely love riding without it around town. On my Suzuki, cruising at about 70 isn't too much trouble with no windshield but above 70 and it's not comfortable at all.

If you have other pics of your bike, please feel free to post them. :)

I went by the dealer today and it appears they won't have my bike ready until next Thursday or Friday. It's still in the box and the exhaust is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. :(

See ya,
R

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
If the shop has the pulley, it would be very easy to install since the stock exhaust is going to be replaced. The thing to find out is if they have the pulley in stock. I've been waiting for an OD pulley for almost 6 months from my shop. The thing is, I called the manufacturer, Turbotec, last Monday and they have them in stock and offer same day shipping if you call early enough in the day. So what's up with my shop and them not being able to get an OD pulley for me is still a bit of a mystery.

As far as saddlebags go, I went with Cycra Hard Street bags. In fact, they're still offering free brackets with phone orders. I got pre-painted bags, liners, and the mounting brackets for $834.00 including shipping. This is the link:

http://store.hardstreet.com/index.html

Had I gone with the Victory bags, the price would have been in excess of $1200.00 to include painting, mounting brackets, and liners.

As far as a windshield I went with Memphis Shades. The windshield is easily removed so if there's a day that calls for a ride sans windshield, it can be done in a matter of a couple of minutes. I admit that with all the road construction in this area, having that barrier between me and the debris flying up from the road is always a good thing so I leave the windshield on all the time.

TTYL

Miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.