Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the bike up on the lift and my wife said " wow there is no tread on the rear tire" WTF was hoping to get through this season but doesn't look like I will. What junk Dunlap is. I wish there were more option with Vicotry bikes when it came to tires.:frown

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Other than darksiding it there are some dual compound tires HD tour riders have been getting good mileage out of like the Commander II. Not unusual to see them getting 18k out of 'em. Of course a lot has to do with how a person rides, load, road conditions, and outside temp. Some people downshift a lot or use their rear brake more than others or pull a trailer to cause quicker wear on the rear tire. Same with quick accelerations.

I know I'm preaching to the choir in your case but others new to the X bikes may not yet know.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Had the bike up on the lift and my wife said " wow there is no tread on the rear tire" WTF was hoping to get through this season but doesn't look like I will. What junk Dunlap is. I wish there were more option with Victory bikes when it came to tires.:frown
Picture Jim ? :wink

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BBob. They don't make Commander II for our size. I wish hey did. I have them on my Honda VTX and I love them.
Jody pics of the bald tire or my wife?:ltr:

·
Premium Member
735 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Aren't the E3's a duel compound? People engine brake as hard as they accelerate and that kills a rear tire.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
It's funny that I have 20,000 kms (12,500 miles) on my original tires (2014 XCT) and they still look great.
I guess I'm not an aggressive rider, and I mostly ride alone.
My Triumph tires only lasted 14,000 kms (8700 miles) and I should have replaced them before that, they are smaller and thinner also so that could be why.
I was supposed to have my darkside tire on the Vic this summer, but I have been enjoying riding it, so it may not happen this season.
Oh, also 6 more days until I retire !!!! (Just in case you guys wanted to know) :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just replaced my E3's with a new set. I got 17,300 miles on this set after getting 15,500 on the first. In both cases, the tires would have still passed safety inspection! They were replaced mostly because I wanted to go for a long multi day ride and wanted new skins. I keep both tires at 40 psi and check at least once a week

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
BBob. They don't make Commander II for our size. I wish hey did. I have them on my Honda VTX and I love them.

Jody pics of the bald tire or my wife?:ltr:

the 180-65-16 is what people are running

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have 13000 miles on my original tires and they still have lots of life to them. You need to check your tire pressure more often. Under inflated tires will cause premature wear. 8000 is way too fast in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dtmmil.. the 180-65-16 fits ? How does changing the aspect ratio effect handling ?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ccrainman.. i ride hard and my almost always ride two up. I found that an extra rider and the curves I ride on alot had a direct impact on my wear. I have Commander II on my honda VTX and always ride solo on that bike and My tires are hardly worn. I have known many people that have not gotten good mileage out of the Dunlap. I certainly did not even on my Honda.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i cant imagine it would change it much, the 65 will be a little taller, which will make your speedometer more correct. ive never run them myself, dont plan to either. if i get another bike i will run avons or go darkside again.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vindex.. I accelerate hard and Engine brake all the time. ANd wife the wife on the back.. I am sure it is my riding style that has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am amazed that so many folks get such crappy longevity outta the E3's. I think I could of got 20K outta both the sets I replaced at 15 & 17K respectively. I suspect most folks don't monitor their tire pressure. I know I didn't until I got me a nice compresser. Ever since, my tire milage has been great and actually more than made up for the cost of the compresser....

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i agree, the only good thing about the E3 is the life. i got 20,000 out of my front and 16,000 out of the rear, both were slicks at that time though, but still thats a lot of miles.

but i am not a "aggressive" rider, i ride my bike like i drive my car

·
Registered
427 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the E3's is the wet weather handling. I never feel super confident when I get caught in the rain. However, that may not be a bad thing.....I think they are awesome in the dry weather...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the E3's is the wet weather handling. I never feel super confident when I get caught in the rain. However, that may not be a bad thing.....I think they are awesome in the dry weather...

avons are so much better in the rain, after starting to slide sideways a few to many times in the rain with the E3s and sticking solidly with the avons i wont put a set of E3s on anything

·
Registered
848 Posts
Vindex.. I accelerate hard and Engine brake all the time. ANd wife the wife on the back.. I am sure it is my riding style that has a lot to do with it.
JP,

8K on a rear your a little hard on the tire. Best mileage I have seen is 9,900, worst 5000.

Ease up on the launch that really tears the rubber off. I had to adopt a slightly different riding style, which involves more of a roll on roll off mindset. I run Avon Cobras front and rear for normal riding around here they grip very well but tend not to last as long as others I have had.

Two up touring I run an Elite3 MT. The harder center compound take much more of a beating and last much longer, while the softer sides still provide a comfortable grip in the rear.

Either which way you go 9-10K is about as much as you are going to get out of a spirited riding style.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts