Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have a few questions, hoping to get some thought from those who've tread these paths already.
1) Gas tank developed a leak at bottom near v. Have taken tank of and removed pump and all seals with the intention of using RedKote to seal it up. After having rinsed the tank as directed, I'm not feeling confident on this solution. The factory coating (red) is still intact and the RedKote instructions say it won't stick to old coatings. Should I bail on the coating and just get the tanks stripped, fixed, and repainted? I've already bought the RedKote and am ready to go, but if the leak comes back I'll be fuming. (pun!) Thoughts?
2) while the tank is off i've cleaned the air filter and am wondering what else I should do while I have the "top" off. Clean inside intakes? leave it well enough alone?
3) i want to upgrade my headlight to LED. I've heard of ~$80 plugin, you keep stock headlight shell, but it sounds too good to be true. Anyone out there done this? Happy with it? Any unforeseen problems?
4) last one. my battery terminals are ridiculous with wires, I want to clean it up. I have added some accessories (heated grips, LED turn signals, USB port, battery tender) and plan to add a few tasteful side running lights since at night I'm invisible from the sides. what is out there to cleverly clean up the electrical connection to battery? Not much room in there..

Thanks all!
elheuste

·
12,970 Posts
Not knowing where you live. Look in yellow pages for a shop called tank renew. Some radiator shops do it. They can clean the inside and add a new blader. Yes you'll lose your paint. You can even find a welder that can weld your tank. Only have a pro do it if a guy doesn't know what hes doing it can blow up on him.

For extra power you can use one of these strips. Do Not do any wiring without a volt meter. Vic's have strange wiring a pink wire on one side of the bike can be power and on the other side it will be ground

Attachments

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I did a video on installing an aux fuse block inside my fairing.
You may not have as much room but it shows how to clean up the wiring.
I bought the block at Princess Auto in Canada, not sure where you live but it is the same as Harbor Freight in the USA.
There are tons of different types out there.
You can see my video here.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Hi all,

Have a few questions, hoping to get some thought from those who've tread these paths already.
1) Gas tank developed a leak at bottom near v. Have taken tank of and removed pump and all seals with the intention of using RedKote to seal it up. After having rinsed the tank as directed, I'm not feeling confident on this solution. The factory coating (red) is still intact and the RedKote instructions say it won't stick to old coatings. Should I bail on the coating and just get the tanks stripped, fixed, and repainted? I've already bought the RedKote and am ready to go, but if the leak comes back I'll be fuming. (pun!) Thoughts?
2) while the tank is off i've cleaned the air filter and am wondering what else I should do while I have the "top" off. Clean inside intakes? leave it well enough alone?
3) i want to upgrade my headlight to LED. I've heard of ~$80 plugin, you keep stock headlight shell, but it sounds too good to be true. Anyone out there done this? Happy with it? Any unforeseen problems?
4) last one. my battery terminals are ridiculous with wires, I want to clean it up. I have added some accessories (heated grips, LED turn signals, USB port, battery tender) and plan to add a few tasteful side running lights since at night I'm invisible from the sides. what is out there to cleverly clean up the electrical connection to battery? Not much room in there..

Thanks all!
elheuste
Definitely bail on the coating unless you can apply it per the manufacturers instructions which you can't. I haven't used that particular coating but tank coatings are finicky at best and unless applied to clean etched metal they always fail to bond and come loose sooner than later causing huge headaches when they do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a video on installing an aux fuse block inside my fairing.
You may not have as much room but it shows how to clean up the wiring.
I bought the block at Princess Auto in Canada, not sure where you live but it is the same as Harbor Freight in the USA.
There are tons of different types out there.
You can see my video here.
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the reply!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts