Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I told the wife I'm spending a little $ this winter on the bike. Haha
I'm planning on getting the stroker kit and the big bore kit from lloyds to upgrade my 03' vegas to a 116ci. I have been trying to find examples of others and haven't found any posts anywhere. Really wondering what to expect.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
The wife went along with your plan?

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Smart lady. Now keep your end of the bargain. You made a deal with her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha yeah, it'll be hard but I guess it's probably for the best. I mean it's already an easy bike to get into trouble with. ;)
I guess I've got 6 months to find a lid that I can live with wearing. (Minnesota winter)

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Are you planning on doing the work yourself? Are you going to drop the engine out of the bike to do it? Have you added up all the parts including the tuner and are you going to have it tuned or are you going with a canned tune from Lloydz?

What do you think the final cost of this build will be? I've toyed with idea a little but so far I'm good with the stock set up but still...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah im going to do the work myself. i really would rather not pull the motor but i'm still waiting to see what others recommend. havent added everything up yet but i have a budget of $1500/ month for however long it takes me/hahahaha i'm sure ill be spending at least $4k.
i want to take it to be tuned but i honestly havent even looked into who can do it in my area.

trying to find examples of others doing both kits to see what they got out of it but haven't seen anything yet.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
I've been at this forum for a long time and here's my take on your intended plans....
+ The only guys who have had serious internal engine problems are ones who did akin to what you have in mind. Mind you, not all, but enough that I would be concerned. How lucky do you feel?
+ Many have raved about the results of installing cams and I have not read about any failures resulting from that.
+ What is your intended use for the bike? Are you going to drag race it (at tracks)? Then doing a 116" build can be justified. If you are not, then it can't, because just cams, bolt on mods and a tune give a 106" enough power and torque to get anyone in heaps of trouble for street use. And with the $$$ you'll save, you can treat the wife to something nice.
+ Forgive me if I'm being a busy body, but understand I'm the oldest here, born in the Great Depression then lived through the WWII years and as a result, I am tight with my money and demand bang for my bucks. I may be old but I ain't slow - ask those I ride with - and I find my 106 with the mods you see in my sig plenty powerful and I ride mostly in mountain country, not flat land.
+ Lastly, its your money and your bike and none of my business.

·
Registered
427 Posts
yeah im going to do the work myself. i really would rather not pull the motor but i'm still waiting to see what others recommend. havent added everything up yet but i have a budget of $1500/ month for however long it takes me/hahahaha i'm sure ill be spending at least $4k.
i want to take it to be tuned but i honestly havent even looked into who can do it in my area.

trying to find examples of others doing both kits to see what they got out of it but haven't seen anything yet.
I just left Grand Forks nobody in that area is good at tuning vics. Had a place in Fargo say they could but never had. Only place around there I would trust is Rylan at the VicShop in Iowa(about 6-7 hr drive for you). You can ask ThoseDynoGuys in the cities but they quit doing vics about a year ago that may have changed. Don't forget your intake and exhaust to round out the package.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts

At that cost I think I'd be more inclined to selling what you have and getting a newer model with the 106" engine then just do the cams, tuner, and exhaust mods and call it a day; a reliable day.

But it's your money to do with what you like. At $4k you're getting close to what the bike is worth. There's a guy named half_crazy on this and thevog.net that might be able to give you an insight we so far can not. He's quite knowledgeable about this kind of build but can be a little rough around the edges, not as rough as me, but a little. :D

·
13,003 Posts
Deladude

Call Rylan at The Vic Shop he will give the best information. Just normal cams will give you around 120 horse and will not break the bank. The Dyno guys will tune your bike and even do cams. Am guessing around 2 grand for cams and tune. If you want a stroker motor take the motor out of bike and give it to one of the professionals because you will have to split the cases and that take special tools

Victory Motorcycle Performance & Service - The Vic Shop

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Helmet-ugh

If you hold up your end of the deal with your wife, get a helmet that is comfortable. Do not just look at cost. Wear it around the helmet shop for at least 5 minutes before buying it. If you like it on for 5 minutes set it aside and pick another helmet out. Wear it around again for another 5 minutes. Now try your favorite helmet of those two on again. This time think of the rain hitting you in the face if you do not have a windshield. Is it a full-face helmet if not think of the stinging rain at 80-mph or the bees hitting you in the face at 80-mph. Now wear that helmet around the shop for 30-minutes, is it hurting somewhere on your head at anyone spot? If it is annoying to wear for that long, if it bothers you or gives you a headache, do NOT buy it. Pick out another brand of helmet or another style. If you do not like the helmet you will not wear it long. Also make sure it fits somewhat snug, they loosen up after they are broken in. Personally I am claustrophobic somewhat. I use to have an open-face helmet years ago. When I first got a full-face helmet I had to ride around with the shield open most of the time, I still like riding with it open. Recently went to a modular helmet for myself, so now I have two a full-face and a modular. Modular is for weekends and trips, the old full-face I wear on the trip to work every day. Good luck on the helmet and the build. Also picking out a helmet, do not worry about looking cool wearing it, you want a helmet to save your ass and do its job if need be. thumb upthumb

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I've had the Llyods parts on my CCT for the last 43K miles. 100% reliable and 100% worth every penny spent. Most of the work was done at The Vic Shop because I lived in Northern Illinois at the time and their reputation is fantastic. The details are in my signature.

Today I had a similar conversation with my wife. I had thought about a 114 kit or a 116 kit for a while now. But I'm leaning a lot more towards the super charger kit and leaving my 106, a 106. Realistically, barring an accident and my CCT getting totaled, my 'next' bike is my current bike. So the only real question is 114", 116" or 106" w/blower.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You could check with the guys at Empire Cycle in Loretto, MN. Just west of the twin cities. Owner ride a Vic and I have heard good things about them.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
After an incident with a dog that took my 100 inch Vegas out, sustaining internal gearbox problems....meaning engine out and stripped down , cases split, the works.
I decided to shell out some bucks for Lloydz big bore 109 kit and .495 cams and valve spring kit.
Considered the stroker but on talking with a few people decided to save money and leave my engine the shorter stroke thus Oversquare and more revability via the shorter stroke.
Made sense to me.
Cos Im over here in Australia I had a local engineer shop handle the job, completing all the requirements for the insurance side of things and I paid the machining bill for the boring, resleeving, setup, and fitting cams and valve springs.

Had the engine not been coming out for a full teardown I wouldnt have gone the rats on it but given my circumstance I wouldve been mad not to.

Had to sell a much loved car to raise the rest of the funds I needed but I ended up getting more than I needed anyway so ploughed the surplus into some other projects I had on the go.
Fate dealt the cards and I played the best hand I could.
with the TorqueTubes intake I already had and then I bought the best pipes RPW to top it off got a good dynotuner set up my PCV up netting 114/133 (2-1 would give me another 10 HP)

Because of the forged pistons and required tolerances for such, a thorough warmup MUST be done before riding, which can be a pain for anyone who is annoyed by my bike idling at 3am.
Means I cant just start my bike and roar off at will...gotta have 5 minutes up my sleeve and even then not flog it till its nice and hot.

Bikes got all the power I need with plenty to spare.
Runs low 12s ([email protected])

You could bolt on a blower, turbo, or go NOS, but really your engine should be torn down and rebuilt to handle those upgrades anyway so its not a shortcut to bulk power.

Speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts