Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting about 100 miles a tank on my '99 V92C. I'd like to get 150-200.

Do any of the other Victory bikes have a taller tank that will fit the '99 mounts? There's still a bit of room in the front near the head. I can modify the front mount if it's even close. I know it's a long shot, but it's a question worth asking (in my opinion).

The alternative is to make a fuel tank in the bottom of custom saddle bags. It's been done on adventure-touring bikes with very good results. However, the trick is to make some panniers that look good on a cruiser, and that may be tricky.

I've not been touring on bikes like these.... Yet. Is there a common way of dealing with the shorter range?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm getting about 100 miles a tank on my '99 V92C. I'd like to get 150-200.

Do any of the other Victory bikes have a taller tank that will fit the '99 mounts? There's still a bit of room in the front near the head. I can modify the front mount if it's even close. I know it's a long shot, but it's a question worth asking (in my opinion).

The alternative is to make a fuel tank in the bottom of custom saddle bags. It's been done on adventure-touring bikes with very good results. However, the trick is to make some panniers that look good on a cruiser, and that may be tricky.

I've not been touring on bikes like these.... Yet. Is there a common way of dealing with the shorter range?
Im thinking you may have an issue.

I also have a 1999 V92.

I get about 140 to 150 miles before the low fuel light comes on.....at that point I still have 1 gal left.

Are you running REALLY rich?

Also as far as V92 tanks go.....the 99 is a one year tank. They changed them in 2000.....and then again in 2002 when they went to internal fuel pumps.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a 99 that has a slightly build motor with a newer transmision in it and I have added the back part of a TC on it an HD fairing and get right at about 150 per tank. you are either not getting it full or are super rich.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 99 that has a slightly build motor with a newer transmision in it and I have added the back part of a TC on it an HD fairing and get right at about 150 per tank. you are either not getting it full or are super rich.
I don't deny the possibility that I'm not filling it full. This bike has a block-off in it that my other bikes don't have. I've already felt the need for a plate that holds back the boot on the handle... I'll have to get one.

However, the last time I filled, I put in 3.5g and the light was bouncing on and off. It's not running rich, but it is possible it's not running efficiently. I've only had this bike a few weeks, and after frying all the small ground wires while trying to start it (see my thread in the V92 section), I'm going over the whole bike. I'm sure it will run better after the timing chain, drive belt, filters, oil, and all, are checked and/or replaced.

It's good to know that someone's getting 140-150 before "reserve". That should get me through the southwest and parts of Canada just fine. It's also good to know that a full-dress bike gets not less then 150/tank. I'm playing with the idea of trying to mound a Don Vesco Rabbid Transit fairing in the bike. It's very nice but not considered light, and may lead to springs with a higher spring rate up front. But, that's another topic, altogether.

This isn't exploration or expedition range, but should be acceptable for a road machine. Thanks very much for the help.

·
13,027 Posts
To get a full tank of gas you have to put it in real slow.
Have you ever cleaner the throttle body's.
The timing chain is self adjusting so there is nothing you can do to it.
Yes replace fuel filter might help you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try actually running it out of fuel. My 2000 had the low fuel light come on all the time at 100 - 110 miles. I used to call it the "half tank warning light"...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try actually running it out of fuel. My 2000 had the low fuel light come on all the time at 100 - 110 miles. I used to call it the "half tank warning light"...
I hadn't thought of that. That would give a definite answer to a few questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts