Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my XC. The lines and looks are unreal. However, I am really struggling with the lowers issue with the forged bars.

I feel a little sold out by Victory right now. The forged bars look awesome, they set the machine apart from other crash bars for sure. If that was the design, why didn't they put together a reasonable hard lower option for the forged bars?

I think it is brutal that we need to go to aftermarket suppliers to fix a factory problem (buffetting) that was [email protected] well obvious before the bikes were released to the market - (don't let this go into a buffetting discussion).

The soft lowers help for sure but they look terrible, like a wrinkled band aid. I have them and they do not do the bike justice. Were the soft lowers just a quick fix because Vic knew that the forged bars were being dropped in 2013 (This was what my local dealer told me).

I just hope that these JTD lowers work out for everyone. We need a nice permanent option for hard lowers. An option that looks like it is supposed to be a part of the machine, unlike the Ceeflectors and others like that. I should mention that I want to keep the forged bars I paid for rather than rip them off and put tubular bars with hard lowers, like the tour (they do look great however).

Anyhow, this is just a rant. These machines to are too nice to siimly 'make-do' for a lowers option. This is just an opinon.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not everyone has a complaint about buffeting. I truly believe that helmet design plays a large part and most people don't buy a helmet that fits properly. They usually buy one that is too big and "feels" more comfortable but in reality if they properly measured their head and got a helmet that fits snugly the buffeting effect would go away because the helmet would stop wobbling.

Try this. Borrow a size smaller helmet from someone and see if the buffeting is better. If it is buy a new helmet. Make sure to pull the chin strap tight.

For the record I ride a Cross Roads and buffeting is an every day thing without a wind shield. With the shield it changes the wind to underneath. If I wear a loose fitting helmet it's all over the place on my head. If I switch to a helmet that fits better I have no issues. I have been giving this advice to friends for years and in almost every case it has worked.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I experience buffeting both with and without a helmet (2012 XC and Arai Signet Q.) Today on my way home I used my left hand to feel the air coming from the top of the windscreen and from the lowers, it does feel like the forged lowers are to blame for the "dirty air." I am hoping the JTD lowers will solve the issue, haven't ordered yet, pipes first.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Get a smoke canister and set it off when the wind is blowing at your bike. Poor mans wind tunnel but it will show some of what is happening.

·
Registered
573 Posts
PS, lots of motorcycles have extreme buffeting issue. My Suzuki VStrom is horrible, as was my Harley RoadGlide. Other bikes not so bad. It's not just a Victory issue.

I presume you test rode a XC before buying? Not blaming you, but had you test ridden one, or looked on any of the forums you might have known of this issue. This has been known since 2010. I realized the issue on my 1st test ride, but loved the suspension so much I figured it was worth the risk.

Victory did fix the issue, their hard lowers, along with lowers by Cee Baileys, JTD and many others. Also, there are all kinds of windshield which will help. I added the factory hard lowers which are perfect, I admit changing to round crash bars was a non event for me.

I realize it is easy to buy a bike and expect 100% perfection. Doesn't usually happen, unfortunately. The good news is that there are so many fixes availablethumb up

I do realize you are just ranting, and love the bike as nearly all of us do.

BTW, the JTB lowers look pretty good from what I have seen.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Just agreeing with you. I have the Cross Country Tour, with tubular crash bars and hard lowers. These vented lowers work great. There is no buffeting at all. Still, I wish Vic had developed them with the forged bars, which are really cool looking. Then they should have also have carried over the Vision's fantastic tip-over protection and electric-adjustable windshield.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Cee Bailey Lowers

I just put these on my,12 CC an I,m very pleased with them. So much so I ordered the Cee Dragon windshield:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I notice that some of the 2013 XCs still have the forged bars but I just saw two at a local dealer with tubular (painted black) bars. Anyone know why they are now offering two styles of (crash) bars?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Just agreeing with you. I have the Cross Country Tour, with tubular crash bars and hard lowers. These vented lowers work great. There is no buffeting at all. Still, I wish Vic had developed them with the forged bars, which are really cool looking. Then they should have also have carried over the Vision's fantastic tip-over protection and electric-adjustable windshield.
No disagreement from me, either. I'd just like to note that I'm not aware of any bike with an electric windshield that also doesn't have a frame-mounted fairing. I had an electric windshield on my 650 Burgman - used it a lot, and liked it a lot (in town vs. highway cruising? hot vs. cold? rain vs. sunny? etc.).

I've test-ridden a BMW RT, Kawi Concours, Vision, etc., with electric windshields, but I don't think any "bat-wing"-fairing bike has that capability. May be an issue with too much mass to move around with the handlebars.

·
Registered
573 Posts
No disagreement from me, either. I'd just like to note that I'm not aware of any bike with an electric windshield that also doesn't have a frame-mounted fairing. I had an electric windshield on my 650 Burgman - used it a lot, and liked it a lot (in town vs. highway cruising? hot vs. cold? rain vs. sunny? etc.).

I've test-ridden a BMW RT, Kawi Concours, Vision, etc., with electric windshields, but I don't think any "bat-wing"-fairing bike has that capability. May be an issue with too much mass to move around with the handlebars.
Never focused on this...good observation. I also have had a BMW RT, and have a Burgman. Good buddy has a Vision. Electric windshields are " da bomb". If they were to offer it on the XC, I would trade in my 2011. Oh well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've seen reports where the Harley Street Glide buffets just as bad. Just the nature of any fairing or windshield bike without lowers. The soft lowers weren't ever meant to replace hard lowers so compairing them here is a little un-fair. I have them. Went you want/need them put them on. When you don't they store conveniently in the saddlebag taking up hardley any room and always stay with the bike. Don't know what's to complain about there. Victory offers fork lowers that really help your buffeting but I think they look ugly when put with a fairing. As far as the hard lowers. I think Victory botched it there some. I've ridden some with the hard lowers and they are just to !!!HOT!!! (way hotter than a Vision even) and you can't seem to adjust the vents enough to make it comfortable. I think they focused to much of the design on their 1 gallon storage with I-pod connection instead of managing the weather and engine heat like they should have. The XC with a trunk already had gobbs of storage already and I think that 1 gallon in each lower was a mis-management of resources that could have been better used.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
...As far as the hard lowers. I think Victory botched it there some. I've ridden some with the hard lowers and they are just to !!!HOT!!! (way hotter than a Vision even) and you can't seem to adjust the vents enough to make it comfortable. I think they focused to much of the design on their 1 gallon storage with I-pod connection instead of managing the weather and engine heat like they should have. The XC with a trunk already had gobbs of storage already and I think that 1 gallon in each lower was a mis-management of resources that could have been better used.
Well said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As far as the hard lowers. I think Victory botched it there some. I've ridden some with the hard lowers and they are just to !!!HOT!!! (way hotter than a Vision even) and you can't seem to adjust the vents enough to make it comfortable. I think they focused to much of the design on their 1 gallon storage with I-pod connection instead of managing the weather and engine heat like they should have. The XC with a trunk already had gobbs of storage already and I think that 1 gallon in each lower was a mis-management of resources that could have been better used.
If you think the XCT is hot, you should ride a newer Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager. They are ridiculous, especially when the fan kicks on!

I agree with you to a point on the storage in the lowers... You would think that on an expensive bike like this with storage pockets that have an iPod connector built in, that they would have put locks on them! I had to spend $40 to get locks, install them myself, and now i have 2 different keys for the bike. Stupid! Other than that, i love the lowers and the storage pockets!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JTD...I'm thinking yeah.

The JTD thread is really growing. Sounds like these are right on the money. Too bad Vic couldn't have put them together but in the same token I'm sure the price is way better buying them from a local guy.

I think I'll be going this route for sure. Those hard lowers look unreal and apparently work just as well.

Keep it up out there.

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
... Too bad Vic couldn't have put them together but in the same token I'm sure the price is way better buying them from a local guy...
Exactly! If these were made by Victory, they would be $999.99! :puke:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've ridden some with the hard lowers and they are just to !!!HOT!!! (way hotter than a Vision even) and you can't seem to adjust the vents enough to make it comfortable.QUOTE]

I have not noticed the heat issue with the factory lowers at all, at least not with the vents open and the wind deflectors adjusted. Up to the high 90s in Southern Cal. The factory lowers, with the wind deflectors, can be adjusted to allow enough wind to blow you off the seat:D

Hard for me to imagine how any hard lowers could be any cooler in hot weather. The JTD lowers look teriific, have some great options, and are priced great. But from I can see, they have less options re: wind management in hot weather i.e. smaller vents and no wind deflectors. Hard to see how they could be better in hot weather, and still function in cold weather:confused:

Ah well, nothing is prefectcheers

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I bought a 2012 xct and needed to go to a blade windshield because of the heat, I experieced lots of heat before but after going to the lower windshield, I expierenced a lot of buffetting. I removed to peak from My skid lid and Voila ( No buffeting) Very comfortable Above 160 K 90 mph, the buffeting comes back but I am not there that often.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought a 2012 xct and needed to go to a blade windshield because of the heat, I experieced lots of heat before but after going to the lower windshield, I expierenced a lot of buffetting. I removed to peak from My skid lid and Voila ( No buffeting) Very comfortable Above 160 K 90 mph, the buffeting comes back but I am not there that often.
"I removed to peak from My skid lid and Voila ( No buffeting)"

What does that mean?

I currently have a Klockwerks Flare on my XCT. I am 5'10" and have a 30 inch inseam so I have a long upper body. I find that I like the Flare but am thinking about adding one of these:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6776/339/

Or the clamp on:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6777/

I am selling the stock tall windshield. I don't want to look through a windshield all of of the time. Or have to swap back and forth along with carry both shields on a trip.

I am thinking I can go with either or depending on what I want to be able to do. If I am looking for maximum wind protection then I can put this blade up to the correct height. If I want wind I can easily drop it down. I had a bike specific version of it on my 650R and loved it. It did stay up 99% of the time however as even with the CalSci windshield I needed a bit more.

I figure this time around I would be able to take more advantage of the flexibility of being able to just adjust it up or down on the fly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts