Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 54 years young. Lately I have been having a hard time dealing with a realization. I realize that my life will never be or go the way I was hoping. Before I got my Vegas I bought a dual sport Honda and was riding all over the mountain wilderness in my area. My wife and I talked about it and she said she wished we could go out and ride together so we bought the Vegas. Granted it is not a bagger but she has gone on very few rides with me. Saying it is just not as comfy as she would like. So we bought a "Butt Buddy". She doesn't like how it sits her up higher than the stock seat and makes the backrest to low on her back. Since I was a kid I dreamed of having a big bike and riding around traveling. I have come to the realization that this will not happen in my lifetime. Money is to tight to ever upgrade to something like a CCT or a Vision. Even at that I don't know if she would ride with me much. I don't know. Maybe I am just facing my own mortality and having a rough go. I don't know. Just been feeling down lately. All I seem to do is work and we just never go out anymore and have fun since her health has degraded over the last few years and she seems to have given up in some ways. Not looking for help or warm fuzzy responses. Just getting it off my chest so I can hopefully move on.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
It seems life is getting more and more complicated when you get older, everything was just so easy before .... Now it all seems a struggle to accomplish anything ... My wife bought me 2 vics and she never rides with me ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Phil, you friggin' live on Mt. Shasta!!!! One the most beautiful and Sasquatchy-ist places on Earth ....Sell that Vegas, get back on a dual-sport with some camping gear. Then get the hell out of that house into the wilderness and enjoy life. If by chance you have a Squatch encounter..just think about the excitement and adrenaline surge that will get you :smile

·
Registered
302 Posts
I feel your pain, Phil. I was unceremoniously let go from a big corporation in Canada in march 2012. The 2008 recession in the US affected us here and I took a major hit on investments. Like a 220k plus hit as I tried to ride it out. (I was convinced by my investment guy it would all come back. It didnt) and then in 2012 some bean counter got the idea that if they let managers close to retirement go it would save a bunch of money. I had enough years of service to get a pension but wasnt old enough to get a full pension. So instead of getting 72k per year pension..i got 18k. At the age of 51 I was looking for work after 33 yrs with same company in a specialized industry that hires young inexperienced & cheap for the same positions now. I tried to explore my passions on the physical labour side..carpentry, electrical. Thx to history of carpal tunnel only good for home projects. It took me 5 yrs to find the job I have today doing delivery. It pays the bills but I don't date (too expensive) I don't travel beyond what I can afford to do on my bike.My entertainment and social life revolves around having my Magnum. Otherwise I'd probably stay at home, read and watch tv. Some weeks, months when I get hit with unexpected bills, I don't do much riding either. But its all I got. 57 Sept 1st. I don't care much for birthdays anymore. I don't know if I have much for regrets. I did what I could. But yeah my retirement plan went completely out the window.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
My wife no longer rides. She had 3 different motorcycles. 2 Hondas and then a Vegas. I lowered it 1 inch and got the touring set and the one up luggage rack. She could ride that scooter all day long. She was in her late 40's when she started riding. Put due to health she stopped about 7 years ago. She seldom rides behind me. I still ride and tour. I have a few riding buddy's and we do about 4 runs a year. I'm riding to Sturgis at the end of the month. This will probably be my last long trip. Then it will be 3 or 4 day runs. Mostly in Texas. My body is about wore out, neck, hip and back. This will probably be my last scooter. If I do get another one. It will be light and small, like a sportster. I've been riding 50 years.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Hang in There Guys

I've been through what each one of you have named and I still keep going. Been laid off probably 10 times. Fired once... We all have family and friends that count on us. I would love to be in my 50's again. BIG difference in 50 something and I'll be 71 this year. I'm thankful for every day I have especially after 2 heart surgery's and multiple other surgery's. I still ride hard and fast and enjoy every minute even though the wife doesn't ride. That's fine with me anyway. I don't like passengers. Cause if I wreck she would say " Why did you do that " :grin

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
After multiple back surgeries, a total knee, etc. at 61 the body just doesn't want to cooperate like it used to. Almost died in January of blood clots in both lungs and one in the leg, ICU for over a week. A anti-inflammatory medication I had been taking to help with my back was stopped by my Doc as it was detrimental when combined with the xarelto I now have to take til I croak. I'll still ride until the day I can no longer hold the bike up, and maybe then go to a trike.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
@toejam :p Ha! I can totally see your coccyx..... :wink

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Yeah toejam I'm on the blood thinner too. (eliquis) So if I crash and bleed, that's where I'll die. :frown... Glad your tough enough to keep on riding

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think part of the answer is to find something that both you and your wife enjoy that you can do together. My wife doesn't ride with me either, but honestly I wouldn't want her to and she doesn't want to either. So, instead we go places together in our car. Short vacations...over to see our son who lives about 35 miles from us, over to Disney which is about an hour drive on way, etc.

I live in central Florida and I have always wanted to ride in the mountains....like the Blue Ridge Parkway. But it's too far away for me to ride my motorcycle, and not exactly a trip I would want to take in my truck with a big heavy bike in the rear. And at 65 and now having an ear problem that requires a "low salt" diet, it probably just won't happen. I can live with that. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you had hoped for. I've got a old brother who lives just down the street. He rides a new HD. For the most part I never see him...and that is just the way it is. Just make it the best you can and count your blessings. I'm sure they are many. If you keep feeling down, and not sure why, you may have a slight body chemical issue.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Cali Phil....At 82, I have had to make many decisions due to changes and challenges life has tossed at me. I started riding at 16 in 1952 and progressively developed a dislike for cruisers. But due to one of those severe challenges, here I am, riding a cruiser, and you know what? I'm liking it. I had to face the reality that to continue riding, I need the lower seat height and CofG that a cruiser provides.
You have realities to face as well. Unless your's is a bad marriage, your priority is your wife, who does so much for you and now it's your turn to reciprocate. Consider her condition and her wishes. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but a heart-to-heart with her should give you a clue.
As for me, I'm facing another challenge these days; I have developed leg problems that make riding uncomfortable and somewhat painful. It's being pursued medically and I am, of course, hoping for an outcome that will allow me to continue riding, but if not, I'm already considering a Plan B. Sell my wonderful XR and with the funds, buy a sporty car of some kind; a Mustang (as another forum member did), Camaro, Fiat 124 Spyder, Miata, Toyota MR2, Triumph, MG or whatever pops up that appeals. The silver lining in this cloud is that my wife can once again ride with me. She gave that up after over 200,000 miles when I had to give up the touring bike for a cruiser. And you know what? I'll be liking that too.
And so will you, as you live among some of the nation's best riding/driving roads there are. I have been there on two wheels and four and maybe it's due to my age, but I enjoyed the four wheel experience more because Pretty Wife was with me and frankly the car is more comfortable on so many levels. Truth be told, I take the corners faster in my 300C than on my XR.
If your wife is up for riding, but on a more comfortable bike, consider trading your Vegas
for a Cross bike. There might be someone out there who has a Cross bike and would prefer a Vegas.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Life... It's inevitable that we will age and eventually die.
We should all start living for today and enjoying life NOW while we can and before we are too old to do it.

Something you always dreamed of doing... but put it off... and now you've resigned yourself to the reality that it's never going to happen. That's sad, man. Are you SURE that's the reality?

Sometimes when we want something badly enough we will make it happen... Rather than justifications for not making that dream a reality, maybe some solutions that will make the dream a reality would be a better use of time and energy.

I bought a comfortable seat for the Kingpin and combined the drivers and passenger backrests into one nice sissybar for her. It was WAY cheaper than buying a bagger. We have Bluetooth intercom so we can talk now (SENA 5... cheap). Puss rides all the time now.

Not a comparison...
3-1/2 years ago we decided to downsize our lives and start living smaller and cheaper. That way, we can afford to do more recreational activities NOW. We rented out the house, bought an RV and we live in it. It is so big and cumbersome to take camping (decorated and lived in) so we bought another one to camp in (smaller/lighter).

Both RVs and the truck to tow them is less monthly than the mortgage on the house was. We go camping sometimes every other weekend and at least every 3rd weekend. When camping we swim, ride bicycles... it's a hoot. When we're home we are still camping, just in one place. We are living our lives before it's too late.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Puss was SO SCARED to start her own salon business. Now, she is so happy she did it and it wasn't nearly as hard as she thought. The money is far better than working in someone else's salon.

I was SO SCARED to start my own consulting business. Now, I am so glad I did it. More freedom, more money, and almost everything I spend money on is a tax write off. It wasn't scary at all.

Both of our vehicles were 2006... we didn't think we would ever be able to afford new vehicles... as of today we both have 2018 vehicles. Taking on the payments was scary, but 1) we needed a tow rig for the RVs and 2) when my wife goes places I will feel so much more confident that her car will bring her back to me and not leave her on the side of the road somewhere. It's worth it...

Live life. Do it now.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
alternative

I like to say getting old is better than the alternative. We all get old(we hope), we just hope it is enjoyable. One of young guys at work likes to dish it out to me about being the old man(he's a good kid). Seems like until the past couple of years I never thought of myself as being old, but reality is I am 60 years young now! Second oldest guy at our shop. Still can do lots of things some of the younger guys can not, maybe better at some things that they can do, but then again I can not do some things as good as I use to, but I do try. The old body just does not work as good as it use to, but it is what I have to work with and it is better than the alternative. ........ Just today a young guy I seen racing at the local road course a few months ago came by my house. Wanted me to try to press out some good dents in his bash plate/engine guard off of KLR650. Was thinking from what he had told me texting me I would have to take it to work and use the press on it. We got the part out of his truck, found it was made of alunimum. We took my little hand operated arbor press along with a good old hammer and some punches and got the thing straighten out again. Took me to breakfast, and bought me a 12 pack of beer. We had a very good morning on the 4th, got to talk bikes and actually had fun, oh yes and he's a young guy , has an 18 month old son he's very proud of and will be teaching him to dirt bike I am sure. Got me thinking there maybe another old enduro in my future if I can find a good deal, or I should word it as they are called now , a good deal on a used adventure bike(enduro in my eyes)...Happy 4th of July. Enjoy life! Now get out and enjoy the ride, both on two wheels and other wise.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Just some simple things...
Gettin' old ain't fer sissies!
Love the one yer with....
Just remember: if ya think ya got it BAD, 'nother guy could have it worse
(hope not to be 'im in the long run).

I've read the anecdotes, testimonies, and lamentations. Everyone has a story to tell. In many ways I'm glad I'm not in their shoes (yet, I'm grateful to hear of the successful lives each has led). Thank you all for sharing. Presently, I'm the oldest on my crew (been that way for sometime now). As a younger man I used to love to hear the stories the old-timers used to tell. Practical tales of process applications, trial n' error, and a tenacity which breeds results. Now I find, I'm the ol' man telling the stories teaching from experience and hopefully passin' on a few bits of wisdom so that the youngsters don't repeat the ole-timers' mistakes.

Take care Phil... it may only get better.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Half Crazy inspired me to write this.......
What are you good at Phil? It can be turned into a business I'll bet. Back in 1970 I knew how to repair meat slicers. The company I was working for was going under, so I bailed out. Converted a passenger van we had to a repairman's truck, loaded it up with tools and all the parts I could afford at the time and hit the road on a Monday for the Oregon coast. I made more money my first day out than I made in a week at that company. By the time I quit Friday to head home, I had made more in those 5 days than I did in a month at that last job.
My secret to my success was I called on small towns where I was a big frog in their small ponds. I made them a regular route, calling back every 6 months and didn't charge travel like the other companies did. I also flatrated and knew what I was doing. Did I mention I had the parts with me and didn't have to order and return like the others do? I serviced every machine like it was my machine and once I worked on it, the customer called no one else but me. In Mt. Shasta, Ray's Market was my biggest customer. Had a few customers in little Weed too.
Yeah, it was a traveling job, but I hate having to show up at the same 4 walls 5 or 6 days a week. I traveled Oregon, California, Washington and Idaho. I love small towns and their people, so that biz was a good marriage.
So Phil, what can you fix? Got a hobby you can turn into income? Do you know how to sharpen knives? That's a real money maker. Working for yourself can be very rewarding if you are motivated and a good manager of time and (most importantly) money.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Half Crazy inspired me to write this.......
What are you good at Phil? It can be turned into a business I'll bet. Back in 1970 I knew how to repair meat slicers. The company I was working for was going under, so I bailed out. Converted a passenger van we had to a repairman's truck, loaded it up with tools and all the parts I could afford at the time and hit the road on a Monday for the Oregon coast. I made more money my first day out than I made in a week at that company. By the time I quit Friday to head home, I had made more in those 5 days than I did in a month at that last job.
I know people who make $5000 a month with their youtube channel. Lots of the younger crowd do blogs and vlogs to make a living or some nice side money.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@toejam :p Ha! I can totally see your coccyx..... :wink
I laughed so loud I hope I didn't wake up my wife. That is some funny **** right there!

Side note. Thanks for the replies.
I am a lucky man I know.
I know I have a life much better than many others.
I know all things are transient and all things end.
Just been under allot of stress lately. I am not good at much aside from being what I consider a good person. I seem to have a knack for making people happy and smile. Everyone thinks I am just the nicest happiest guy they know. But like Robin Williams they don't know all the **** swimming around in my head trying it's best to break me down.
Again thank you all for the replies. You are great people.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cali Phil,

You would be surprised to know how many of the " Normal People " you know are battling their own demons....Just breathe and keep placing one foot in front of the other and know you are not alone with those thoughts, we all have them to some degree!

Ride safe and keep smiling!

Rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
Been there done that. Lost it all to a crooked mortgage lender who falsely foreclosed on my house back in '99 and said screw the American Dream. Quit working full time, quit chasing money, toned down the lifestyle and got a dog, then a second dog. All bliss for the last 20 years. Just me and the dogs and the bikes.:laugh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts