Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the wife were cruising on I-75, minding our own business doing about 70 mph. There are four lanes in that particular stretch. We were in the left-center lane and I wanted to move to the right-center lane. I put my turn signal on, looked over my right shoulder and only saw a car in the slow lane. As I merged, a Ford F-250 came up doing at least 85, probably faster, merging into the same lane. He honked his horn and I swerved back into the left center lane and he kept blasting along. We got within about 6 ft. of one another. I don't believe I was at fault, but who knows. He was moving so fast as he passed that car, I didn't notice him before I moved. But, Praise the Lord we missed!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Idiots like that are why I hate driving up to Houston, and why I won't take the bike into Houston. Seems every time I go, somebody is flying along 90 or 100mph weaving in and out of traffic. Glad you and the wife are OK.

Reactions: mark4Jesus

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Sounds similar to the situation here with any 4 lane highway being a free for all as to lane choice...often the qhickest lane is the 'slow' lane as there's no one in it!
And the fast outer lane being hogged by cars sitting just below the limit.
Revenue raising speeding infringements are rife here so most drive just below the limit.
That said Ive witnessed 2 totally idiotic displays in the last week.
A late model V8 sedan going past me in a suburban street at over 100mph on the wrong side of a traffic island to pass cars , pursued 20 secs later by an unmarked cop car travelling a little slower.
Glad I saw em coming in my mirrors, at those speeds you dont get much warning and cop had no siren just dashlights.
Second incident a 4wd utility passing multiple vehicles around blind corners and hills, passed around a dozen cars in our car club last weekend on a winding country road,
Its a miracle there wasn't a 'head-on' collision.
There's no accounting for idiots.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Glad you all are OK. Crazies here in Fla are in abundance during the winter. Take all the crummy drivers with bad habits and throw them in one state. Thats what we have.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Those are a hard call Mark....but don't beat yourself up too bad for someone else's reckless driving.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That happens allot to my wife. I don't know why. Had a few crazy close calls thank god they were all in cars.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
mark4jesus,

minding our own business doing about 70 mph.
You and your wife are straddling something that offers no protection.
The interstates belong to idgits and that truck driver was attempting to prove that to you. You can't afford to mind your own business in their world especially with your wife hanging on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
your fault...same thing happened to me though about 15years ago and ended up with me on the ground with a broken leg, ribs, and wadded up bike. we live by the lug-nut rule haha, better take some extra time to check out **** behind you when you can...

·
13,262 Posts
I have a routine I do when I get on the bike. I have a mile to ride before the main road.
#1 front brake first. Over and over
#2 never trust car drivers or trucks
#3 ride in the slow lane. I have more time than life.

Last year on freeway in fast lane (had to pass) a lady in a car came over on me. I wound up on shoulder with cement barricade next to me. As she looked at me all I could do was wave. She whipped back into center lane and would not look at me as I rode next to her for 3 miles.
I tell my self this over and over cause you can't trust the other guy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Seen it everywhere but Germany

Sounds similar to the situation here with any 4 lane highway being a free for all as to lane choice...often the qhickest lane is the 'slow' lane as there's no one in it!
And the fast outer lane being hogged by cars sitting just below the limit.
Revenue raising speeding infringements are rife here so most drive just below the limit.
That said Ive witnessed 2 totally idiotic displays in the last week.
A late model V8 sedan going past me in a suburban street at over 100mph on the wrong side of a traffic island to pass cars , pursued 20 secs later by an unmarked cop car travelling a little slower.
Glad I saw em coming in my mirrors, at those speeds you dont get much warning and cop had no siren just dashlights.
Second incident a 4wd utility passing multiple vehicles around blind corners and hills, passed around a dozen cars in our car club last weekend on a winding country road,
Its a miracle there wasn't a 'head-on' collision.
There's no accounting for idiots.
Amen Brother. The only place I've seen "drivers" use lanes correctly was in Germany. It was sweet. Fast cars in fast lane and everyone else in the right/slow (or left in your case ) lane where they belong. Here in the states the average maroon thinks they're "supposed" to "drive" in any lane but the right lane regardless. It can be scary.

mark4Jesus - Stay alert brother because those maroons out there don't care. Or if they do, they don't show it. Be "always on" when you're on my friend. Glad it turned out well.:wink

Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
632 Posts
My son and i were shooting the breeze a while ago, And the subject came up about the close calls he had lately on his bike, You know with all the idiots and such out there Yadda Yadda........

Well i gave him some Fatherly advice ' And I hope it sunk in; If your finding you are getting into too many close calls, Maybe' Just ''Maybe'' you should examine ''Your'' driving habits... :eek

1 - 11 of 11 Posts