Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old boss of mine bought a Fat Boy about a yr ago. Total "Wild Hogs" wannabe kinda guy. When I told him I was gonna buy a Victory he tried talking me out of it, saying how they are unproven, without a good dealer network.

After getting my XR, he started doing a bit of research on Victories, & has conceeded on Vic's being a worthwhile bike. I think he realizes they are better, but cannot bring himself to say that.

The majority of his riding is to & from work, & up & down the coast from L.A. to Santa Barbara. I have invited him on countless rides, he always has a reason why he cannot go.

I sent him this pic I took on last fridays ride- next post will have his reply...
(I posted this pic elsewhere already, but wanted to share this story...)

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
his reply;

why would you want to ride 55 miles on a road like that if you did not have to?
fun
is that it?
its fun?

I'm still laughing!!

I told him if he felt that way about riding roads like this I wouldn't bother inviting him on any more rides...

That the guys I ride with ride for hours to get to roads like this...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does he "trailer" his bike to ride in far away places, too? :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Maybe he should keep it in the garage and not ride it at all so it doesn't lose its value. That way he can keep it clean, and show it off whenever he has guests. :)

Can't blame the guy for choosing HD though - Vics are made to be enjoyed on the road, so wrong match for this guy.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Does he "trailer" his bike to ride in far away places, too? :rolleyes:
Maybe he does trailer it to scenic places so he can pose standing next to it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't blame the guy for choosing HD though - Vics are made to be enjoyed on the road, so wrong match for this guy.
Good point , never looked at it that way...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe he does trailer it to scenic places so he can pose standing next to it.
It would be easier to buy large backdrops and just take your pic in front of them. Wouldn't get the bike dirty, or rack up unnecessary miles...

·
13,263 Posts
fishslapr
Keep after him to take rides with you. He just might be one that is some what scared and needs a helping hand. Open his eyes to what we all enjoy.
Don't let him back down get him to go with you he might just become a very good riding Buddy. thumb up

I was a so so rider till I met some guys that really road. Now the adventures we have had are so great I just can't say enough.

Keep trying tell him you'll buy lunch. thumb up

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Keep on him until he tries taking a corner or two and he may find that he actually likes it. Ask him to ride after work and let him lead you around. If he has fun try it again on a different day with you leading. Take baby steps and don't get him to try anything too aggressive.

·
Registered
755 Posts
fishslapr
Keep after him to take rides with you. He just might be one that is some what scared and needs a helping hand. Open his eyes to what we all enjoy.
Don't let him back down get him to go with you he might just become a very good riding Buddy. thumb up

I was a so so rider till I met some guys that really road. Now the adventures we have had are so great I just can't say enough.

Keep on him until he tries taking a corner or two and he may find that he actually likes it. Ask him to ride after work and let him lead you around. If he has fun try it again on a different day with you leading. Take baby steps and don't get him to try anything too aggressive.

I see neither one of you been out with fishslapr. He is not what you call a slow rider. :D thumb up

·
Registered
352 Posts
Biggest problem is not that it's a Harley, but that it's a fat boy... they corner like a tank (personal experience.) Rode one after my first Vic and was constantly scraping floor boards lol.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I see neither one of you been out with fishslapr. He is not what you call a slow rider. :D thumb up
well yeah, there is that...:crzy::ltr::crzy: & this guy knows it too... we went to lunch one day, got on it on a deserted road, I speedshifted into second & my front end came off the ground a bit.. his 103 didn't stand a chance against me & my stock 106! thumb up

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fishslapr

In all actuality, I'm not really wanting him as a riding buddy. No disrespect meant to all you east coasters, but this guy has that very abrasive New York attitude- He is so smug about his 'cool Harley', & all he ever does is sit in traffic & ride up the coast. That is his idea of a 'ride'.

It probably sounds smug on my part, but I really just wanted to let my bike show up his. But after his reply asking why one would choose to ride a road that had 55 miles of twistys if they didnt have to, well, I don't feel the need to get him out on that type of ride. I would spend more time waiting for him than I would want to.

thumb upcheersthumb up

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I find my best rides are the ones when I go the speed I want. Sometimes just a cruise sometimes a little quicker just nice to ride

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
For those who aren't familiar with the LA to Santa Barbara schlogg, there is nothing romantic about it except for some lovely ocean/beach views. It's choked up freeway all the way and if he does it during rush hours, movement is very limited. I would never choose to do that commute by motorcycle unless I was a dedicated lane splitter. Otherwise, that's my concept of hell.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those who aren't familiar with the LA to Santa Barbara schlogg, there is nothing romantic about it except for some lovely ocean/beach views. It's choked up freeway all the way and if he does it during rush hours, movement is very limited. I would never choose to do that commute by motorcycle unless I was a dedicated lane splitter. Otherwise, that's my concept of hell.
Hey Ricz, didnt mean to misspeak, the LA to Santa Barbara isn't his daily commute, that is is 'fun' ride. His commute is coming off the Palos Verdes hill into Compton- from one extreme to the other!! lol

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Hey Ricz, didnt mean to misspeak, the LA to Santa Barbara isn't his daily commute, that is is 'fun' ride. His commute is coming off the Palos Verdes hill into Compton- from one extreme to the other!! lol
He still retains his idiot creds with that route on a bike. And using 101 for your "fun" ride? I'm speechless.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts